X-files reboot?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The movies were pretty good. I will take another one.

wavethatflag likes this.
  2. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Duchovney said the new episodes will play like an extended 6-hour movie.

3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That ep, will scare you , they did such great makeup job on the moth men.

Encuentro likes this.
  4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Love that episode!

5. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I had already seen the 2008 film several times, but I finally finished the final season of the series and then watched the 2008 film again. As with many movies that are a direct continuation of a TV show, it does just play like a long, big budget episode of the show. Which isn’t a bad thing really.

But the 2008 film is just not that great in the writing/plotting department. There are some lists online of some of the weird inconsistencies in the film. I think the biggest “face palm” moment is when Scully is trying to prove the viability of some sort of stem cell therapy, and she literally simply Googles “Stem Cell Therapy”, implying either she doesn’t already know enough about it (even though she wants to perform the surgery herself), and/or the most coercive, convincing hard scientific research will be found by simply Googling it.

wavethatflag and GentleSenator like this.
  6. Yeah that was a pretty bone headed moment. The film has some nice set pieces but doesn't gel and it isn't very well written.

kwadguy likes this.
  7. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

The 2008 movie was a waste, with an odd focus on what people expected from The X-Files.

It should have been more of an event piece, somehow bridging the gap to a 2012 follow-up, completing the colonisation story arc. They coulda brought Will Smith in for star power! ("Welcome to Earth!")

;-)

8. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I liked the earlier film, which did play like an extended episode, but the 2008 movie was unbelievably bad. It didn't feel like the X-Files. More like a really weak Millennium episode.

I am looking forward to the new X-Files series and (hopefully) Twin Peaks too. A short season gives them more room to explore than another movie and not as much time to fill like a conventional series, so this could be worth the wait.

marblesmike and Encuentro like this.
  9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Has anyone mentioned yet that the HD remasters are now on Netflix??

I'm about to dive in!

marblesmike likes this.
  10. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Apparently it's just the first season for some reason.

The credits look majorly cropped with new text overlayed. They should have just left those 4x3.

11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

That's exactly what I liked about The X-Files: I Want To Believe--it was basically a long episode of the show. It made me miss the series and, in turn, enjoy the film even more.

In a better world I could have shown up at the theatre again the next week, and the next episode/movie would be showing.

wayne66 and marblesmike like this.
  12. balzac

balzac Senior Member

It was initially just the first 13 episodes of the first season; now it looks like the full first season is up in HD.

I’ve watched several episodes now, and overall I think they look excellent. I think Netflix is still compressing a bit too much; actual BD discs will of course look even better. But these episodes have a tremendous amount of additional clarity compared to the old DVDs.

The cropping issue continues to be discussed at length in other X-Files fan forums. It appears some stuff is cropped more than other stuff. In other words, I don’t believe everything is simply the 4x3 broadcast/DVD frame with the top and bottom cropped. Some stuff has more info on the sides but less on the top and bottom, etc.

The credits are cropped for 16x9. They appear to have gone back to an SD 4x3 copy of the opening titles without any titles/text added; as they’ve added new titles/text in HD resolution. Once they decided to not keep everything 4x3, I don’t mind the cropping of the titles. It would seem a bit inconsistent to have the titles in 4x3 and everything else 16x9. The important thing is that they’ve kept the sketchy, blurry video quality of the opening credits intact. I was worried they would re-do everything and make it look slick. But it still all looks like early 90’s surveillance video and whatnot; which is how it should be.

The font style of the opening title looks kind of off and extra generic; not sure why that is.

But overall, the episodes look nice. A few brief stock footage shots look upconverted; as do a few of the special effects shots. But the special effects shots blend well, especially since they’re all dark scenes.

GentleSenator likes this.
  13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I agree, and I think it's just by virtue of the fact that we are now viewing the show sourced directly from film rather than fuzzy analog video for the first time.

14. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

I've just been re-watching Series One and there are some great episodes (plus the odd turkey like the on about the Jersey Devil).

15. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

amoergosum and wayne66 like this.
  16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Just about to watch Episode 166 ("Invocation") from Season 8.... I'm more than three-quarters of the way through the entire series!

Maybe I'll beat my estimated June finish.... ;)

17. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Only 2 more episodes ("Sunshine Days" and "The Truth") left to go! I should be finished the entire series this weekend. :)

Encuentro likes this.
  18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Well, after watching the final episode (followed by I Want to Believe, for good measure), my epic X-Files marathon has come to an end. (March 26 - May 31) :)

MikeInFla, Wright and Encuentro like this.
  19. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

So, what's your main takeaway from this? Does it still hold up? At what point does the decline start?

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I enjoyed the show through season 8. I don't remember much about season 9.

21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

22. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Mulder looks like all that Californication has taken its toll. Lucky guy...

23. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Gillian looks great. Looking forward to this... I need to go back and watch this on Netflix (is it even on Netflix?). Would be nice to revisit the series. I even like Agent Doggett.

Encuentro likes this.
  24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

You're in luck. The entire 1st season is on Netflix in HD.

MikeInFla likes this.
  25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.