Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Vinyl: Worth the cost?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by benm1976, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Did they raise their prices on new vinyl? I swore it was 39.99 for most of the 45rpm pressings. I am seeing 44.99 now

2. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

I think so. A couple days ago I purchased a 45rpm MoFi pressing of Get Happy! for $44.99.

I don't mind paying full price for a new pressing of an album that classic....still. Vinyl cost seems to have soared just in the last couple years. I've gone near broke buying the Zep reissues (even the non-special editions are close to $40. I still need most of the Beatles mono reissues but I'll have to sell a kidney.

This Heat likes this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You know, I hate comments like that when someone is asking for an opinion. Some MFSL is awesome, some isn't. Imo, most are great. But it is only my opinion. If you like it, that is all that matters! I love almost all my MFSL vinyl titles, from both eras. Keep enjoying yours!

john lennonist and Geee! like this.
  4. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Thanks (but I was joking). I don't have wooden ears and no one could tell me otherwise :) It's just a great sounding record that I have seen given poor reviews, which I find a little bit telling IYKWIM. I both value and laugh at this place in turn. But mostly it's a great resource.

john lennonist and Jrr like this.
  5. Skywheel

Skywheel Forum Resident

I try not to post on threads I haven't read through, but I have a question that may have been touched on in these 11 pages.

Can I get some opinions on buying used MoFi (MFSL) or Nautilus vinyl?

Such as, have you ever bought a used copy?
    If so your satisfaction level, would you buy again?

If you have never bought a copy used would you?

Or anything else I might want to consider.

Thanks in advance.

6. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

It all depends.
    Some great. The best there is of a particular recording.
    Some awful. Arguably the worst of a particular recording.
    But where they are good - like the recent Sinatras, they are the best. Worth every cent.

The 1984 Stones box is good too. That was done without the Decca treble boost - at least that's what I think playing it.

7. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Well, I have a crappy 80s Capitol rainbow reissue that's all mid-range and I turn the bass up and it's fine.

It's DSOTM on MoFi - if you wanna drop that much coin on DSOTM, have fun. You'll probably be more inclined to listen to it more and therefore enjoy it more.

Personally, I have other MoFis and APs I want to grab up first, and when I grab for Floyd, it's usually not DSOTM...so I wouldn't buy it.

If DSOTM is your favorite album of all time, it may be worth it to you. There are threads on that particular pressing of that particular album on this particular forum.
    YMMV...but someone posted the response you wanted.

Don't get butthurt because we were having fun with a question that has been answered to death already.

8. Arkay_East

I paid $15

I reread my responses and don't find any of them scream "butthurt" . Maybe you are projecting? It was a sarcastic question really. So I apologize that it didn't read correctly.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  9. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Am I correct in saying that MFSL issued this LP title individually, in addition to the boxset version? If so, is there a difference in the mastering and if so, is the non-boxset version preferred, given criticisms voiced about MFSL Beatles box EQ in general, or not?

10. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

I've bought all the MFSL and Nautilus titles used, mostly through eBay. Like any other used record, you have to be careful to avoid the junk, but I found that most-- certainly not all, but most-- people who bought these originally took better care of them that "regular" records, and that's why it's so much easier to find NM copies of, say, MFSL Katy Lied than original ones.

john lennonist and Skywheel like this.
  11. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

They did release it individually, quite early on (MFSL 1-023). The biggest difference I notice between it and the collection version is the early one is mastered at lower volume. I don't hear much of any difference in the SQ, and I've always liked it. I prefer it to the remaster. Take all the EQ stuff with a grain of salt.

john lennonist likes this.
  12. telepicker97

You paid $15 for a MoFi Darkside...and you don't know if that's 'good enough'??

Besides...I was responding to the post I quoted - Jrr's.

So...now, you're butthurt because you think I called you 'butthurt'. But I was responded to the quoted post. That's why I quoted it. That's how the quote function works.

Btw, MoFi DSOTM for $15 is a steal. Enjoy it repeatedly.

13. Arkay_East

DANG! I hate when that happens :)

Well I'm truly not "butthurt" but evidently also can't read. So touché haha!

seaisletim likes this.
  14. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

I agree w/BurgerKing. If you are patient & buy VG+ to NM you can get some nice used MoFi vinyl. Price is another story depending on lp. MoFi is my go to label. Been very consistent.

Skywheel likes this.
  15. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I have about 10 MFSL vinyl pressings and have enjoyed every one. Great sound and superb overall package quality

Jrr likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have bought a lot of used MFSL vinyl, mainly because a lot of titles can only be bought used. I get your concern. I paid $125 for a used copy of Yellow Brick Road, and an awful lot in the $40-$50 range. So far, aside from one title I bought at a used record store for $3 (should have known better), every single one was in excellent shape. My theory is that people took really good care of them, and likely had decent turntables to play them on. A few titles like Supertramp's Crime of the Century and Breakfast in America, Al Stewart Year of the Cat, etc have a lot of very quiet passages and even those were outstanding. I will caution you on Nautilus titles....but not about comdition. Some of the worst mastering I have heard are from Nautilus recordings and I don't buy them anymore, though my Bee Gees Spirits Flown album from them is very good. Maybe I need to try a few more, but others I have tried, like Rumours, were awful. Most ebayers will take back MfSL titles, so I definitely recommend buying them used. And people here are terrific about giving mastering opinions if you want to check on a title before puttong out $50 or more. I love almost every title I have purchased, and I probably have around thirty of them, both older amd new titles as well.

Skywheel likes this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Ditto again...couldn't have said it any better. It is fun listening to music again, and absolutly exciting to see all the new reissues going on. I actually go imto my local record store quite regularily now, amd happily spend a good amount. I am very luck to live near a very good store where they stock titles in surprising numbers.

18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I read vinyl prices in general were going to increase earlier this year. Not surprising given the pressing backlog, but they are going to chase younger people away and they, imo, won't come back so I hope prices don't go too nuts. Seems the really big newer releases are keeping the prices lower, like Taylor Swift, Meghan Trainor etc. I just bought the new Mavericks Mono album for $17.99...not bad!

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

So was I. The Maverick's new album on vinyl was sitting at my local record store a couple days ago even though it isn't scheduled for release until June 2. I actually cancelled my preorder from Amazon. Maybe that is what confused you? I don't buy digital music and hate the sound....vinyl only for me!

20. telepicker97

It's pressed by MoFi?? And is $17.99??

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

No....I was addressing the issue of rising vinyl prices someone brought up. Hit product doesn't seem to be going up, just smaller boutique titles and higher end reissues. I just noticed Amazon is offering this title for $14.99 shipped! It is a really crappy sounding recording though. They clearly purposely made this recording to sound very 60's retro mono, but all they did was make it sound horrible. The reviews on Amazon are terrible regarding sound quality, and people over there usually don't even bring that up. So $14.99 might even be too much!

22. telepicker97

New titles are usually digitally sourced and on crap vinyl. That's why new stuff is so cheap.

You get what you pay for. Sundazed, 4 Men With Beards and Rhino are somehow able to make great pressings for a bit cheaper than, say, MoFi or AP, but don't go the extra mile that those companies do.
    That's kinda what I'm saying. You get what you pay for.

I paid about the same for my Sturgill Simpson record and it sounds like crap. I think purposely. But it's a cheap pressing. That's why it was $14.99. I wound up getting some Coltrane and Sonny Rollins for $9.99...digitally sourced but not as dynamic as my digital copies.

What did I expect for $10??

23. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

This is a problem with a lot of UK DJM Elton titles -- great sound, but pressed on crappy vinyl.

The translucent red vinyl is better (in most cases) for Elton, but is still not up to the quality of vinyl usually pressed in the UK in the 70's.

24. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Totally agree. :agree:

I much prefer her deep tracks.

25. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

I have the majority of MOFI vinyl releases in physical form and also carefully ripped with at least mid-range equipment stored on my PC. If anyone needs a 30sec 24/96 needledrop to judge the remastering difference I'm happy to help if I can. I'm curious about whether a couple are worth it myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.