Would any UK dealers ship Harbeths to the US?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thesisinbold, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd like to know. thanks

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I hope not.

3. thesisinbold

is this a big no-no?

4. gwynne61

gwynne61 Forum Resident

5. thesisinbold

They're almost 2k cheaper in the uk.

6. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I'm sure with a bit of detective work on your part you should be able to find a UK dealer, unless there are restrictions harbeth places on their dealers. I know there was a huge markup difference between dynavector carts here and in the EU.

Comes down to do you feel you need dealer support with a speaker. To date with reading about harbeth speakers I've not heard a single person complaining about defects from the factory.

Harbeth speakers are designed with ease of repair that pretty much anyone can do with some basics skills. That and the parts. $2000 is a lot in parts.

7. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

Fidelis Audio (which is about 30 minutes from my house) has been the exclusive distributor of Harbeth speakers in the USA for many years. Harbeth is extremely protective of their authorized dealers. Harbeth would terminate any dealership that sold outside of their area.

8. thesisinbold

Can I buy them then have a guy pick them up and ship them for me?

9. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

You could do that, but I'd try to buy from a dealer in the U.S. If possible. I don't know how much wiggle room they have though.

10. thesisinbold

I could literally fly to London and stay for four nights for the difference in price.

11. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Do what works for you. I've been buying cartridges on eBay for years at a large discount. Speakers are in a different league though.

12. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

What about customs duty when they arrive here? Which pair were you looking to buy?

Bubbamike likes this.
  13. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Customs plus brokerage, you can count on it being around $400 or more. Plus shipping.

Kkfan likes this.
  14. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I can recommend a very responsive and knowledgable dealer in SoCal if you want. I realize that the question is around arbitrage but I bought locally and have been very (extremely) happy with the dealer and am happy to make a recommendation.

15. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

It's probably no different than what people in the EU and other territories face when trying to buy American products. I guess McIntosh, for example, is hideously expensive to buy in Australia and New Zealand. If the OP is able to finagle something out of a foreign country, all the power in the world to him. If not, well I guess it's a case of how bad you really want it. As someone else mentioned and from what I have gathered, Harbeth is pretty protective of their dealerships/territories. As I live in the state of New Hampshire-same state as Harbeth's official distributor, I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time buying from anyone other than Fidelis. I'd probably be stuck with whatever price they see fit, which would likely be list price....I don't think I'd qualify for the many e-tailers that sell Harbeth, such as Acoustic Sounds.

16. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

Shipping, insurance and import duty will eat a good bit of your savings.

The first time you need a replacement driver or crossover problem diagnosed, the savings will likely be gone. The U.S. Distrib will likely turn his back on gray market imports, and rightfully so.

Brother_Rael and Kkfan like this.
  17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Buy local. As said, long distance issues are a pain and by the time postage, insurance and any import taxes are factored in, well, you know the rest.

That said, try Hi Fi Corner in Edinburgh.

18. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Can you suggest some alternatives in the same price range?

19. thesisinbold

I guess I'll search the UK used market

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What price range is that?

21. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

22. Brother_Rael

Even more risk! Go with a dealer as used in a private sale equals no comeback.

Kkfan and Barnabas Collins like this.
  23. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Which model are you looking at?

24. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Spend some time on agon too. There's two pairs of shl5s , one is a plus in tiger ebony, for less than 5k.

25. Brother_Rael

Should add that Hi Fi Corner, the shop I mentioned before, are a Harbeth dealer. Good selection from the P3ESR upwards. Or they did when I was last in late last year. They've been established for years too and well known in Edinburgh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.