Downconvert SACD to CD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Pinhead, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

Is it doable ? A friend of mine wants to copy his rare sacd for me but my vintage gear can't read it. 'd like to make a cd of it. Is there a program that will do this in a relative simple way ? (windows 7). The ISO file is already in my HD.

2. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

I am not sure how to get the .iso to dsf files, but this may help. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129913.0

Once you get them to dsf, you can use Foobar2000 and the SACD plugin to play and then convert to flac, mp3, etc. I have taken dsf and made flacs and it sounds very nice.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    The Pinhead likes this.
  3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

You should be able to just load the .ISO and (with the SACD plugin) convert to FLAC right from Foobar2000 (I've done it many times). You have to set the output to 16 bit, 44.1 KHz so the FLACs will be CD compliant. I then use Nero to burn as it converts FLAC on the fly during the burning process.

The Pinhead likes this.
  4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks. I needed that information to.

5. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member

Could you simply down mix the audio to 2 channels @ 44.1khz/16 bit and use the optical digital output of the SACD player and connect it to a CD recorder deck? That should work I think.

6. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

I use CDBurnerXP and have never had to downsample the flacs I burn to cd. Just FYI in case you wanted to leave them at a higher sample rate for pc listening, etc.

7. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you rip a SACD in the first place?

8. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member

My understanding is that you need a PS3 that is modified. Other than that, i do not know.

9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Oh sure. Sorry, I was just commenting on the OP's fact that he wanted a CD. You can leave them as higher resolution FLACs with Nero as well but you have to burn it as a data CD/DVD instead of an audio disc. Thanks though :)!

10. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

I actually burn audio cd's with the high res flac with no problem with CDBurner XP. It seems to convert pretty well as it burns.

I have not tried Nero, but CDBurnerXP is free, just fyi.

The Pinhead and jhm like this.
  11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

In case it helps, here's where you go to change the output settings of the SACD .iso in Foobar2000

[​IMG]

Under preferences and tools, you highlight SACD (remember SACD playback is a free plugin that you have to add first if you haven't done so already). The ASIO driver mode should be PCM and you should change the sample rate to match what you'd like. If you want this for CD burning, 44100 is an output option. If you want it for playback on a device that can handle high resolution audio, you can set it for a higher sampling rate.

Once you've loaded the .ISO file into Foobar2000 for playback, it should recognize all the tracks on the disc. Make sure you highlight all the tracks, then right click and choose "Convert" then "Quick Convert"

The next popup is where you choose the bit rate of the output and the file type:

[​IMG]

In this example you can either keep it as WAV for CD burning, or you could choose something else such as FLAC. Under "output bit depth" you can choose 16, 24 or 32 bit.

For a free tool, it's very, very handy :)! I use it primarily to create high resolution FLACs of my SACDs to play back on my Fiio X5 portable player.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    The Pinhead and Rockos like this.
  12. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

That's certainly the easiest way of doing it, but Foobar's DSD to PCM conversion isn't the best. For one thing it doesn't filter out the ultra-sonic noise.

13. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Yes, it does. Use Direct (IIR30) or Installable FIR (FIR30/40/50/60) DSD2PCM conversion modes. These filters, however, are not really needed for 44.1 kHz sampling rate PCM (CDDA)...

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    jhm likes this.
  14. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

I'd just record the analog out to the computer and capture it with Audacity as a 16/44.1 WAV and then make a CD of that. Ripping SACD's is a pain in the ass and I've ripped hundreds from my collection for personal use.

15. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

This is where one of the Tascam DR series SDHC recorders )DR-40, 22 or 44, comes in handy and make a analog to digital copy of any thing to MP3 to redbook, or up to 2496 resolution. Also the Sony PCM-M10 will also do this. You can then easily upload them USB to your computer and play them or burn them with the right software. Check Sweetwater.com if you are interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.