The Black Crowes have apparently broken up

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HotelYorba101, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Band is disc 2 of the Lost Crowes.

Recorded in 1997, meant to follow up 3 Snakes, Gorman considers it the 'best' Crowes album.

It's as good or better than everything else they ever did. Some of those songs are amazing. Paint an 8...Never forget this Song...Wyoming And me...OK By Me...Another roadside Tragedy...

Band is amazing. And it's an album. And it goes on any list of Crowes studio recordings.

2. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Thank you for making sense in this thread. I don't where these people crawled out from with their 'I love BYS' and 'I love Lions' and '..amorica stinks - blah blah blah'. Obviously Pete Angelus plants or paid lackeys.

Canadacrowe likes this.
  3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

We would hear from them sooner if we all would stop frakkin' supporting each of their solo acts/non-Crowes projects

Spiritual Architect and Rhett like this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

opps it was a typo i meant to say the album after Band. the one you said was before BYS

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It doesn't make sense because some people don't agree with your opinions? You are not the arbiter of all things Crowe.

Members should not be denigrated or looked down upon just because they don't agree with you. Everyone has their own opinions and just because they are different does not necessarily make them bad or wrong.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  6. You should go back to the Amorica forum.

RoyalScam, telepicker97 and Jack like this.
  7. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

Can you say more about these sessions? Who other than Chris rich and Steve were on the 5 piece at the time? I have been a Crowes fan since '91, have seen them maybe 25 times as far back as '93, and don't recall any recording after band but before bys. Are tracks leaking ?

Any Additional insights would be appreciated

Spiritual Architect likes this.
  8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Chris, Rich, Steve, Ed and Sven.

http://www.crowesbase.com/sessionlisting.cfm?sessionID=8

And there's a spectacular quote from By Your Side producer Kevin Shirley that reveals why it all went wrong, in my eyes: "I went down to the studio and everyone's late and hungover. There's incense burning in the rooms, carpets and rugs everywhere, and they started playing me some of their new songs. They start off, and it's the same old jammy, shuffle feel of the last two records. I stopped them then and I said to them, 'You know guys, you've got to get back to being 17. You've got to feel like you're teenagers again. You need a song like that."

The fact the Crowes let a corporate square like Shirley tell them how to play shows how low their self-esteem as a band was at that point (which makes sense given the departure of Ford and Colt, rampant drug abuse, and American refusing to release Band).

9. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

I didn't crawl from anywhere thanks. I'm a Black Crowes fan of 20+ years and can see beyond SH&MC, Amorica & 3S.

Yes, they may be the peak of what the Crowes achieved (officially) in the studio but to denigrate BYS or Lions is to miss out on some interesting and enjoyable material. I personally enjoy most of these albums, certainly more than Warpaint which was/is a massive disappointment.

By Your Side in particular could have been better if they'd dropped a few weaker tracks and added some of the b-sides in their place. Although the production isn't to my taste, this is a pretty stellar album in my book

Kickin' My Heart Around
    By Your Side
    Horsehead
    Only A Fool
    Welcome To The Goodtimes
    You Don't Have To Go
    Peace Anyway
    Go Tell The Congregation
    Grows A Rose
    Smile
    Virtue And Vice

Lions again has some good moments, the only tracks I have no time for are No Use Lying (I hate that chorus), Lickin' (terrible lyrics) and Come On. I actually like Ozone Mama and for me Lay It All On Me is one of the bands underrated gems. Put it down as a missed opportunity for a band trying to find its place again.

Yes, the mid 90's trilogy is a peak, but it's not the be all and end all for the band.

(Disclaimer - This post has not been approved by, or paid for, by Pete Angelus)

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I agree about the b-sides. A lot of their b-sides are better than actual album tracks in my opinion.

ShawnX likes this.
  11. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

telepicker97 is a knowledgeable guy. Here are my album rankings (it's perfectly OK if they don't match your ranking):
    1. Amorica (blew me away when I listened to it 4x through the night I bought it at its midnight release)
    2. Southern Harmony (made all of the 'they are just a Faces/Stones tribute band' comments moot)
    3. Three Snakes (hard to follow up Amorica)
    4. The Band (might have surpassed Three Snakes in its original version)
    5. Warpaint (I've grown to really like this album. It's their most cohesive effort since 3Snakes, but sometimes Chris is the weak link)
    6. SYMM (I loved it more until the Trinity was released)
    7. Before the Frost/Until the Freeze (some songs are great and some are forgettable. Then there's "I Ain't Hidin'")
    8. Lions (might have been pretty good with a handful of changes)
    9. By Your Side (watered down, desperate version of SYMM. The coke'd up tour supporting this was a glammy embarrassment)
    While it's a shame that the BCs won't record or tour any more, I'll not miss Adam MacDougall playing the keyboard solo in Wiser Time with hand tillers.

[​IMG]

12. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Some of the b-sides they left behind or mistakenly reworked would have made any of their albums even better. I can barely comprehend an Amorica with "Feathers" replacing "Downtown Money Waster".

I agree with JPJ's Bass Guitar about a reworked BYS.

xTraPlaylists likes this.
  13. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Why? So they fail? So we force them to work together? And miss out on some good music?

They deserve some time apart from each other. I hope they enjoy their respective projects and at the Christmas gathering 2020 decide to put it all back together. With Marc and Ed part of the deal.

AlienRendel likes this.
  14. telepicker97

The album after Band IS the one before BYS.

Have you been drinking out of CRs little brown bottle??

15. telepicker97

I thought he used oven mitts when playing the Mario Bros, tease in the middle of Wiser??

painted8 likes this.
  16. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

These rankings exactly match mine. Amorica is one of the great albums by any American band.

YouKnowEyeKnow and painted8 like this.
  17. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

I am happy to see people love the misunderstood Snakes and undervalued Side.
    That is a lot better to me than those who go around saying their first album was the only good one. .

(Post approved and paid for by Pete Angelus)

heatherly and telepicker97 like this.
  18. Jack

Jack Senior Member

You're all going to laugh your arses off, but I got into the BC late....By Your Side, Lost Crowes, Before the Frost and then Warpaint. Been backtracking ever since...Freak n Roll, Amorica, Southern Harmony, and the great dvds: Cabin Fever, Warpaint Live, Freak n Roll, and Who Killed that Bird. Still more to get into; kinda nice.

(Post approved and paid for by Pete Angelus)

19. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

I have found that to work the other way, the older I get and the more I listen to the so-so albums of my favorite bands, the more I like them.

Just take 1 song at a time. Listen to that 1 song once a day, every day, for a week. Then move on to the next song and do the same thing. You might be surprised at how much better you like an album if you take it one song at a time.

20. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Lighten up Francis - it was a sarcastic remark and I know people have their own opinions - and that's fine. Isn't my last sentence a dead giveaway that I'm being a bit over-the-top? :doh:

21. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

it's a lowercase 'a' - not an uppercase 'A', thank you very much.

22. Matthew Tate

maybe your post threw me off. you made it sound like there were 3 lost albums. Tall, Band and a 3rd one still not released that was recorded after Band but still before BYS.

here is what i thought your post has for a timeline of albums

3 snakes
    band
    ????
    bys

23. Matthew Tate

i believe the band agreed to work with shirley off of advice from joe perry

24. telepicker97

You are correct.

The album before BYS was after Band.

There was also an album called Souled Put from late 1991, with songs like Nowhere Stairs, You're Wrong (Sting Me), Words You Throw Away (Remedy), Kick the Devil Out Of you, Fear Years (No Speak No Slave), Miserable etc.

Girl From a Pawnshop originates from this period as well.

jammincrowe and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. telepicker97

Cool story...

But who was Aerosmith's A&R rep at Geffen, and credited with their 'comeback'?? Who was the bearded guy in the wedding dress in 'Dude Looks Like A Lady'?? Who followed them to Columbia, whose parent company Sony had purchased Def American from Rick Rubin, lock stock and barrel - Crowes contract included??

John Kalodener.

You're welcome.

painted8 and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.