Doobie Bros. LIVIN' ON THE FAULT LINE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Good album.. mellow, light one up..

Kossoff is God likes this.
  2. I just saw today the 'Toulouse Street' is part of the Rhino Replica series, and the packaging looks pretty cool.

3. houston

houston Forum Resident

not really familiar with this album, but I do recall the group appeared on the TV show "what's happening" in 1977, and one of the characters, Dwayne, secretly taped a performance of the Doobies and was caught, the Doobies were disappointed in Dwayne because they had become friends, of a sort....anyone else remember seeing this episode? I thought it was lame of the Doobies to be on that show, suggested a Band in decline to me...of course they rebounded big, with 'minute by minute' :thumbsup:

ether-bored likes this.
  4. You should try to track down a DVD-A copy of 'The Captain & Me'. You won't regret it.

Todd W. likes this.
  5. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I just listened to the LP last night. Incredible vibraphone solo by Victor Feldman on the title track.

When the album came out, there was an interview/article about it (possibly in an issue of Creem?) where the band said something like "this is an album for someone to put on when they get home from work and sit down to relax".

George P and driverdrummer like this.
  6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I don't mean to come across as a smart *** but it was Rerun who tried to bootleg The Doobies. And the tape machine fell out of his overocat during Black Water. I recall the episode perfectly. It's also on youtube for anyone who cares to see it. One of the bits is the segment with John Hartman hitting his gong with the mallet that was on fire, the smoke machines and those noises Jeff Baxter was coaxing out of his Roland Guitar Synth. This was part of what the band actually did from 75-early 79.

steeler1979, Complier and Todd W. like this.
  7. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Roger: "...and, uh, which Doobie you be?" :laugh:

Was that gong riff and the music supporting it ever done on record, or just live?

Complier likes this.
  8. houston

houston Forum Resident

hahaha, yes, I stand corrected...but...you are frightening me with your memory of this mediocre TV show, I think you didn't have enough to do in 1977 :p

9. jawilshere

jawilshere Forum Resident

Part of a song called "Don't Cheat The Hangman" from "Stampede".

RoyalScam likes this.
  10. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I love The Doobies on those episodes. Skunk looks like a " 70's Guy"...

11. tps

tps Forum Resident

LotFL has been my favorite Doobies album for many years. I've had the LP since it came out and recently, after seeing positive posts on here about the sound quality of the Japanese CD, got a copy of the Japanese CD. GREAT sound, better than I've heard before. Victor Feldman's vibe solo on the title track really comes to life on the Japanese CD. After hearing the Japanese CD LotFL, I bought a few more of the Doobies Japanese remasters...

12. pool_of_tears

That was part II of I Cheat The Hangman. It gave John Hartman a chance to have some fun with the gong and fire...plus Jeff Baxter came up with neat sounds on his Roland Guitar synth. It worked better in 1978 when that was part of the encore along with Road Angel.

RoyalScam likes this.
  13. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

I just rediscovered this little gem myself. I remember having it on LP, back in the day, but it was all about Minute by Minute back then. I picked up a copy of the original U.S. domestic CD. The audio is real laid back but seems to have some significant dynamic range. I can't help but wonder if MoFi or AF could get a little more out of an Original Master release. In the mean time this copy is quite acceptable.

14. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

As I am pushing like for some of the comments, I can see they were back in 2007 and I wasn't even registered here yet. I hate to prerequisite statements but here it comes. You can't find a bigger Doobies fan than me. I first saw them at West Virginia University in the early 70's. They are in my top 3 seen bands ever. That being said, Takin it to the Streets was a kick in the gut with Michael McDonald. I know, I know. This is the split with Doobies fans like myself. I love the single, not fond of the album at all. Fault Line actually was a bit better. There was a bit more cohesion. No Tom Johnston at all. Maybe that was why. Johnston seemed to be the rocker. McDonald the soul guy. Patrick Simmons always has been the key to this band. He seems to be able to blend with any style. Love Skunk, absolutely fantastic. I wish we could've had more with Simmons, Johnston and Baxter.

As for the songs, I have always considered Echoes to be one of my favorites. But that is Simmons. I do like McDonald's Nothin But a Heartache and You're Made That Way. Chinatown is OK. After that nothing here for me. I am also a guy that wasn't real fond of Minute by Minute. Dependin On You (Simmons) and Open Your Eyes were keepers and Steamer Lane Breakdown continuing the trend of instrumentals from their earlier stuff. I honestly can say I didn't enjoy the McDonald stuff at all. They had completely gone off the tracks from the band I knew. The next one, One Step Closer...........ugh. Actually, I liked McDonald's first solo album way better. Why? Because probably he wasn't infiltrating one of my favorite bands growing up. Oh by the way, What's Happening was must see watching when I was a 15. That 2 part Doobies episode was gold. I finally caught it on one of the oldies TV channels and DVR's it. Great stuff!!

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I like this album. I played it a lot back then. I thought I was pretty cool because I was listening to a "jazz" album. I didn't like MbM nearly as much for some reason.

davers likes this.
  16. pool_of_tears

Small corection, he dropped the tape recorder after Takin' It To The Streets.

17. pool_of_tears

I may give you a run for your money as a fan...or at least as a collector :)

I will admit that I get off the bus with One Step Closer. The loss of Jeff Baxter really hurt musically. Jeff really added a lot to the Doobie albums he played on. His jazzy solo on the fade out of "How Do The Fools Survive" is one of my all time fave moments from Jeff.

YouKnowEyeKnow and Todd W. like this.
  18. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Did you have any solo stuff? How about Simmons Arcade? Out in the Streets would've been a great Doobies song. So Wrong?? Ummmmm. Could've fit on One Step Closer. Knocking at your Door and Sue Sad I enjoyed.
    I also have both Johnston solo's, Still Feels Good(better one) and Everything You've Heard is True. All of these on vinyl of course. I saw him in a small club in DC, which escapes me now. I actually got his autograph. I also have a Simmons pick from a Pittsburgh show also.
    I saw the Farewell Tour. One of the great concert experiences of my life. Saw CSN the next night in the same place, Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Maryland.
    I think I share your love for the band. Vices is still my favorite though.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  19. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Fault Line is my favorite Doobies album with McDonald at the helm and would be near the top overall. It has a great almost jazzy feel and still get played on occasion. A very strong set of songs IMO.

freemanl and RoyalScam like this.
  20. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

"I...am with the presssssssssssssssssss!" (OK, that'll be my final What's Happening reference.)

21. pool_of_tears

Which Doobie you be?

1977 PBS Soundstage

22. pool_of_tears

I'd like to see the band's 1977 London, UK (Rainbow Theater) concert remixed from the multitracks and releaed. King Biscuit Flower Hour was on hand to record it. King Bicuit also recorded:

Memphis Colisuem October 21, 1975
    Philadelphia Spectrum November 16, 1976
    Oakland Coliseum December 30, 1978
    Los Angeles Forum December 31, 1978

23. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Do any of you guys have the UPC? Would love to see if I could find a copy and need to avoid any of the 2009 remaster versions.

24. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Never liked Michael McDonald in the group.

25. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

The bar code on the 2006 Japanese CD I have is 4 943674 064571, catalog number is WPCR-12355.

Very nice sounding disc of a record from the year that also gave us Aja, another record with a memorable cameo by Victor Feldman, both records being a kind of perfect pair, in my eyes at least.

kenbefound and davers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.