"Urban Cowboy" to become a TV series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

2. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I just want the movie on blu-ray.

Felix Martinez likes this.
  4. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

5. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

This can't be good. Love the original but have no interest in this.

6. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Houston, Texas is not the same city it were in 1980. Gilley's is closed and burned down 20 years ago.

7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I love the era, currently enjoying Eddie Rabbitt-Best Year of My Life

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Country music is very popular this will probably work, but not for me...as I cannot relate to modern Country music...I did love the movie though.

melstapler likes this.
  9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I don't see this being successful. The original music and movie was okay at the time IMO. But I have no interest in seeing this as a weekly TV show.

10. BradOlson

I agree. This is a product of its time.

rockclassics likes this.
  11. chodad

chodad Hodad

More stupid crap being force fed by the powers that be who have no clue.

12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

They'd be better off making Grease a weekly show.

melstapler, Darksolstice and Davidmk5 like this.
  13. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

A 'modern update' is a mistake. It should be set in 1980 (or even earlier). Back then the concept of a basic working man who was a cowboy at heart living in the modern world was novel and an anachronism. Folks living in rural areas back then were far more removed from their city living counterparts. And the music was far more in tune with the past than the present. Now practically everybody everywhere is exposed to the same culture through the internet/movies/cable tv/etc. and country music sounds closer to regular top 40 pop music than ever.

It could be a C&W Mad Men.

driverdrummer and guy incognito like this.
  14. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I'd prefer Urban Indian. Maybe written by Sherman Alexie. HBO or Netflix. Please.

guy incognito likes this.
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Does this mean the "Texas Two-Step" in coming back into fashion. Yeeeeehaaawww!

Who the !@#$% renembers "Urban Cowboy" that it would even have any name recognition anymore? A crappy film long gone. Well, I gues they need something to fill time on the Country Music Channel.

16. BradOlson

Actually, the movie isn't gone at all as the soundtrack is available on CD, the movie is out on DVD, on cable TV, etc.

17. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Have they completely run out of original ideas?

melstapler likes this.
  18. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Oh... Urban Cowboy. I read this wrong. At first I thought they were talking about a series based on Midnight Cowboy, and I couldn't figure out how that would work for them.

Urban Cowboy has a lot of room to grow characters, comparatively.

19. rockclassics

Bud and Sissy are going to grow as characters? Really? I just don't see that happening. :shake:

20. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

I was thinking in comparison with my initial mistake - compared to the only 2 possible characters in Midnight Cowboy. They might have met a lot of men bobbing in and out of their lives in the theater business, but then those guys would go home to their lives and wives.

Bud & Sissy were in and out of a barn sized bar, daily. There were lots of other regulars and bartenders to develop side stories around - like Cheers meets the Porter Wagner Show.

All kidding aside, I won't be watching when this one premiers ...unless it's being shot in Houston - then I'd watch for landmarks, and to laugh at all the things they showed that weren't even built in 1980.

I guess I should read the OP's story-link to find out if it will be shot in Houston, time-framed to 1980, but I don't want to be drawn in.

EDIT: Broke down and looked. This will be a "modern reimagining" of the Urban Cowboy set-up. Oh my. Not tuning in for that.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  21. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

:D

Very strange choice having an Urban cowboy show , i bet it will do well ....they are going after people who watch Nashville , will toss in some tunes , Tons of drama ......... not sure it interests me at all , weird ........
    Love the movie though :righton:

clhboa likes this.
  22. rockclassics

Got it - a night time soap opera. :laugh: I'll pass.

clhboa and Davidmk5 like this.
  23. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

They already own the rights to this so it's cheaper & easier to develop, plus it should be fairly easy to market to the flyover states. Any possibility of a built-in audience that remembers the film is a less scary proposition than trying to launch a brand new, unproven property. That's why we're also seeing TV shows based on Limitless and Rush Hour coming this fall.

24. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

I would father have my TV violated by movie adaptations that have the local movie theater violated by TV adaptations.

25. BradOlson

In fact, the company producing the new TV series for Fox is Paramount, the company that owns the rights to the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.