How the CD lost its sheen - a 30 year tale of rise and fall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dhreview16, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

I actually think there is some truth to that, why give the people the best when you can give them something decent and improve upon it a couple of times.

Smiths22 likes this.
  2. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

The compact disc has proved surprisingly tenacious. It still dominates markets such as Japan, Germany and South Africa; it makes for a better Christmas present than an iTunes voucher

I disagree, i mean i still buy expensive CD's but I don't give them as a present anymore....they're not worth as a present in 2015 at least not for the ordinary people.

3. Smiths22

yeah, IMO this might be a little exception:

[​IMG]

24 bits files? and The BEATLES entire discography? selling that was crazy IMO, i love the sound of those files.

KDubATX likes this.
  4. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Sure, but now there is absolutely zero motivation to research a new physical format. Think about it. The situation is apples to oranges compared to 1990.

5. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Unfortunately your silver lining is false. Check out this article or several other like it http://www.dummymag.com/news/music-streaming-is-worse-for-the-environment-then-you-think.

These servers that store the data (in this case "music") use an incredible amount of energy. The notion that things being online or on a computer is saving the planet is a very well told lie by the technology sector.

6. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Well there is electricity. For physical media you have manufactoring, packaging, transport. The server would be the "greener" alternative.

7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

More than likely new hi-res file formats and dedicated players will be the trend. One way or another the industry finds ways to get us to spend money on music we already own.

8. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Well yeah but the didn't release them til 2000 or so? How many releases of the same stuff were there before that?

9. Smiths22

December 8, 2009

This is a pretty famous spanish band called Hombres G, they have a new boxset coming next June 2th. In order to help sales they are signing each boxset booklet right now...

[​IMG]

These are the current times for many artists....the last push IMO.

BTW one of those signed copies is mine. :D

Zeki and SoporJoe like this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Great article. The inevitability of music consumption evolving beyond the CD is one thing, but the industry's unwillingness to consider retail pricing issues (in the early 2000's) also played a role in its somewhat quick demise as a dominant retail medium.

Smiths22 likes this.
  11. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I have no qualms surreptitiously downloading a copy of something I've already purchased several times over (Rolling Stones, looking at you...)

I mean, if I've already bought it, I can either needledrop it/rip&burn myself...or just cricky da rinky, gnomesaine??

Zeki, JoeF., NaturalD and 1 other person like this.
  12. Django

Django Forum Resident

I have NO faith in the opinions of the general public. They have **** taste in everything.

13. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Did you even read the article? Manufacturing and transport are factored in and according to the author "the stats tell us that streaming an album online 27 times can in fact use more energy in total than the manufacture and distribution of its CD equivalent."

Right now the internet uses 10% of power on the planet, this number is likely to increase dramatically in coming years. I don't think you fully comprehend how much energy servers use.

Purple, BluesOvertookMe and PH416156 like this.
  14. telepicker97

But then you gotta power your amp and CD player to play the disc, right??

15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I think the difference is that when you are done you turn the amp and CD player off, but the server stays on 100% of the time. In my own setup I have all of my CDs ripped to a server and I never turn the server off, even though I only access it for an hour or two a day to sync my phone or to stream stuff to my receiver.

PH416156 and telepicker97 like this.
  16. Sword-of-Kings

Sword-of-Kings Well-Known Member

As long as albums are still being made available on CD, I'll still buy them. I hate digital download services and vinyl is too much of a pain to take care of.

DrBeatle likes this.
  17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Wouldn't you have to power your amp and internet portal to stream the music, as well?

Purple and telepicker97 like this.
  18. telepicker97

It takes just as much to properly care for an LP as it does a CD :

Don't get them dirty, put them up when you're done.

Ta-da!!!

19. telepicker97

Nah.

If I'm streaming music, I'm using earbuds.

:D

20. Some people here are talking like the various entities of the music industry had a choice between putting music on digital media and not doing so. The technology was there and it was going to be utilized, if not by company X, then by company Y.

Although vinyl is undergoing a current minor renaissance, any company that had been clueless enough to buck the trend toward CDs back in the day would have gone out of business.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Purple and telepicker97 like this.
  21. Smiths22

you also need replacement needles for those...

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  22. Sword-of-Kings

Sword-of-Kings Well-Known Member

CDs aren't dust and hair magnets like vinyl records are.

Smiths22 likes this.
  23. Smiths22

^ This pretty much.

But i disagree a little on the extra pixels, people DO care about them (at least i do) perhaps not pixels saved on a disc anymore, like blu-ray discs though.

24. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Your LPs must sound terrible then.

25. Smiths22

BTW why vinyls require this?

[​IMG]

Anti static record cleaner? what happens if you don't brush them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.