How the CD lost its sheen - a 30 year tale of rise and fall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dhreview16, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I can say unequivocally that this was not my company's experience. The cheaper CD's cost to us, the lower we sold them for, and not just us. But we had to wait for special deals to do this. We were up against local retailers like the Wiz and national chains like Best Buy who were lowballing CD's like crazy because they not only got special deals, but also label advertising funds through other more creative means to allow them to. We had to follow suit to keep up. Other revenue streams had to be considered (like used CD's, which the labels hated). As a consumer, if you were paying full price (or even close) for CD's you weren't paying attention.
    But once the mp3 genie was let out of the bag, the game was over-for all of us. BTW, I still love my CD's.

Say and seed_drill like this.
  2. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Well, Kirk seems to have a soft spot for the Beastie Boys.

nbakid2000 and telepicker97 like this.
  3. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I have an opposing hypothesis which is that part of the problem is that CDs were sold in stores with names like "Wiz." Maybe we can also sell clothes at a store called "Terd," or cars at a store named "Lemin."

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti and Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow.

telepicker97 likes this.
  5. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I guess we should have seen the writing on the wall-the Wiz gave way to streaming! G'night folks!

6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

That's one part of Star Trek that never rang true. That we had evolved beyond pop culture, and only the "high" arts remained. At least they still had booze.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There's a local supermarket chain in the Boston area that's been here for many years named Roche Brothers. They seem to do pretty well. So go figure.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Fantastic level headed article. Thanks, OP, for posting.

9. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Actually, vinyl sales are the ONLY music sales that have increased each of the past 5 years, and actually have jumped up 40% over the past 12 months.

Downloads overtook CDs for the 1st time, yes...but sales of all digital music have decreased for the 5th year in a row.

The opposite is true for vinyl.

As far as 20/30 minutes per side...I find that I pay better attention and that I'm a more active listener with vinyl. Also because I turn it up and let it fill the room.

Digital can hurt my ears, and often gets turned down and becomes background noise.

So yeah, if it's a party - digital all the way.

For critical listening - analog every time.

jconsolmagno, rischa and Shak Cohen like this.
  10. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

This is very true for me. 80 minute CDs played all in a single sitting with no pauses is a lot to take in. Some albums are engaging enough to hold my attention, but for a great many others breaking the album into 2 or 4 sides is a much better listening experience.

Purple and telepicker97 like this.
  11. telepicker97

Nice!! Which pressings??

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Original Diament for PG, and Japanese 1st pressing for Rainbow.

telepicker97 likes this.
  13. telepicker97

Agree 100%.

Vinyl is my preferred listening experience.

And you have to keep CDs clean and scratch free, or they'll skip too - possibly freeze up and not play. So...all the excuses people have for not utilizing vinyl are their own misconceptions.

My dad taught me how to keep my hands clean and put records up when I was like 3 years old. It's not tough. At all lol

14. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Format still shining for me: this is PR for its demise...

15. telepicker97

Nice!!

Only thing I don't like about the original Diament PG is He cut the end of IMTOD before the cough!!

Other than that, you're gonna rock out with her socks out ;)

Holy Diver likes this.
  16. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

In 2014 sales of new CD's in the United States accounted for 26% of music retail revenues. I suspect it will drop a little more in 2015, but will still be somewhere above 20% of the market.

That is one mighty big niche product. :whistle:

17. telepicker97

yeah...
    The people who buy the most music and spend the most on product most usually buy it on CD or vinyl.

Still.

That will never change.

18. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

30 years on...I never had to clean a CD unless I bought it used (rarely needed even then).

Grant, Gems-A-Bems and Smiths22 like this.
  19. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

20. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

very revealing quote...

Grant and 4stringking73 like this.
  21. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Streaming numbers bypassing physical is important, vinyl numbers are just symbolic, a relevant act of nostalgia pretty much.

22. telepicker97

I'm just gonna go out on a limb and assume you don't have kids.

And if you do, they're into video games??

23. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

20% of what though? Are you suggesting the market hasn't shrunk overall? Maybe not as much as I thought but unless those figures include streaming services I'm pretty sure the whole pie is getting smaller.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Smiths22 likes this.
  24. telepicker97

Vinyl up 40% over last year.

That's not just symbolic - it is what puts $$ into my bank account, hoss.

25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Me either, although I find the "vinyl is to big a hassle to take care of" stuff to be pretty silly too.

If you don't want to invest in a vinyl set-up, even a cheap one, I get that. If you think that vinyl takes up too much space or isn't convenient enough because you can't take it on the go, I get that too. But the care stuff is blown way out of proportion. Even if you used that little brsuh before every play, it'd take about two seconds of your time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.