Best inner sleeves to use for LPs?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Simon F., Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Not a fan of out-gassing non organic materials.

Sailfree likes this.
  2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Yes they were an 1/8 taller than all my other MOFI sleeves. I sent them a pic of the size difference, and the sleeve bunched up in the jacket. They pretty much told me to deal with it and I was doing it wrong. LOL
    They will never see any more money from me.

3. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Not a fan of Disckeeper Double Audiophile liners as they are excessively thick and cut with matching open sleeve ends, that at times are ridiculously hard to open IMHO.

Nor am I a fan of paper sleeves (with poly liners) of most any kind... Again to thick, often poorly made, and hard to handle.

MoFi original sleeves were the better mouse trap with one stiff sleeve face and the other very fine and flexible, and also very transparent.

QRP less expensive copy of the same, is a sweet spot for me.

EDIT: Disckeeper 1.5 Round Bottom LP Sleeves on the contrary are ultra sheer and just fine and offer very easy handling and good utility.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    mikeyt likes this.
  4. Hey Vinyl Rob, thanks for that information. These appear to be the very same ones that come with Quality Record Pressing albums. If so, I do like them very much and they are a lot less expensive than the MA Recording or the MoFi sleeves. I remember thinking they were almost identical to the MoFi sleeves I had on hand. They are really nice!!! I may buy some as it seems like I am always running out of sleeves. I will still buy the MA Recording sleeves for my best records due to their unique "breathability" factor and our super high humidity here in the Virgin Islands. At 66 cents each for MA sleeves, the QRP's will save me a bundle when re-sleeving my less than perfect, but keeper grade thrift store albums after they receive a dunk in the old ultrasonic cleaning tank!

VinylRob likes this.
  5. mertoo

mertoo Forum Resident

Nagaoka, they're perfect.I buy from cdjapan.

6. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Same here, I agree they're perfect. I tried a few different sleeves, but settled on these because I can simply place these plastic sleeves as liners inside, or alongside whatever paper sleeves my original discs came with.

7. mertoo

mertoo Forum Resident

Exactly, I tried many different ones also but Nagaoka is the last word.Highly recommended to everyone here.

8. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident

I find the Ultimate Disckeeper perfect for me despite my fumble fingers. The arrows point the way to the open end and then I just pinch up the poly outer which is slightly loose to get it open. I found that the double ones were a PIA to get an album safely in or out of the sleeve without the other disc trying to make a break for it on the floor. For the double albums I just use two single sleeves. I think the perfect sleeve is different for each one and I'm glad that we have choices. Some are better than others. Even MoFi had quality issues a few years ago and I have at least one pack of the dreaded white depositing ones lurking around in my meager collection!

DeRosa likes this.
  9. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Those round ones? If so worst inner sleeves ever. I can never get them inside the outer sleeve in a proper way and they always end up making be angry.

Bubbamike and Gumboo like this.
  10. mertoo

mertoo Forum Resident

I put them back side of the outer sleeve by placing the open end upside, not put it inside.Also I use resealable transparent cover sleeves known as Blake Sleeves.Works great for me.

11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The LP will have even more protection in a generic jacket sleeve like this: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-4183-12-cardboard-jacket-nbsp-12-14-x-12-14.aspx

This is what I do for my highest value records. Instead of storing them behind the jacket, which can be prone to damage, I put them in generic white jackets (with MA Recordings inner sleeve).

12. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I've noticed that this is what some sellers of high-value collectible records do.

13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm glad I found Sleeve City a few years back, made everything easy for me. Those QRP sleeves are a good deal when bought in quantity. I always liked the Mofis too but they are not the best but good. I like the MA sleeves but they aren't necessary for me.

14. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

So there is a difference between mofi and sc sleeves? On which way? Thought all these was sourced from same manufacturer and just branded.

15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The sleeve city inners don't leave that crap all over your records. That's the big difference.

16. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Isn't that a well known production error "they" had with a batch many many years ago now?

17. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I've got nearly a zillion MoFi sleeves with no crap to be found. Wait until Sleeve City sleeves become as old as some MoFis and we'll see if they have any issues. I'd say, the jury is still out...

Gumboo likes this.
  18. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Another vote for the sleeve city ultimate audiophile sleeve.
    Nice and sturdy, they improve on the MoFi design, and I like
    that you can read the record label from both sides.

It would be really nice if they also offered them in black
    to better match some album artwork, that would be cool.
    Since most vinyl is black, I'm not sure why white actually
    became the default colour.

19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'd think they were from the same manufacturer too but the SC are cheaper. Now the SC Ultimate Audiophile Sleeve is different and my favorite. It doesn't crumble and it protects well.

20. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Wasn't that Mofi situation just with a group of sleeves from a small time frame a little while back? I don't think it was with most of their production.

Bubbamike likes this.
  21. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Must have been a helluva big group, as it seems every Mofi sleeve I run across has left that residue on the record.

22. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Never had issues with the Mofi/QRP/Sleevecity inner sleeves so far. I buy the Sleevecity ultimate ones for better stiffness to replace the non-Mofi/QRP albums I get.

23. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Really? I thought is happened a year ago and the problem was resolved. I leave the Mofi sleeves and other poly sleeves that come with albums because it seems wasteful to throw out a quality sleeve. Maybe I should check the Mofi sleeves.

So would this problem exist with all these sleeves, QRP, etc.?

24. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I also save poly lined paper and any other high quality sleeve. However, I use them for all my $1 Christmas albums etc. There's no way I would clean my records and place them back in the sleeves I just removed them from. I'm too OCD for that lol

25. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I don't honestly know. That could well be true, but in my experience with, many, many of them over the decades... no problemo.

No issue with QRP sleeves either. Go figure.

mikemoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.