Jethro Tull Aqualung and Benefit available on HDTracks - Steven Wilson remixes without mastering

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jjjos, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

This has been discussed elsewhere in this forum. I bought both downloads. The HDTracks 24/96 Aqualung is improved from the previously released 2011 Steven Wilson-remixed and Peter Mew-mastered version. It sounds more detailed, and more organic, and the DR numbers are better (DR13-16). Best Aqualung yet.

The HDTracks 24/96 Benefit is the same 2013 Steven Wilson remix as before. The DR numbers are not spectacular (DR10-13). No reason to buy it if you have the 2013 CD/DVD-A release.

HDTracks currently has a discount promotion, 20% off all purchases through 6/1/15 (one time use). Enter code at checkout: HDSAVINGS20

Tuco and Starwanderer like this.
  3. Apparently a CD release of the Steven Wilson mix&master is coming soon:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/aqualung-steven-wilson-mix/825646146611

Sorry, apparently not:

(from Steven's Facebook page)

All 4 remixed albums are also being released as single CDs, but these are the same as the discs found in the deluxe box set editions, and therefore still use the Pete Mew mastered Aqualung and TAAB remixes (so to clarify only the digital downloads of these albums use the new masters, yes it’s confusing!)

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  4. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Too bad...seems like this woud have been the perfect opportunity to get these out in redbook form :(

rockclassics likes this.
  5. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Peter Mew had nothing to do with the Benefit deluxe. After the Thick As Brick & Aqualung deluxe sets, Peter Mew is gone.

6. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

rxcory and agentalbert like this.
  7. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Thoughts on the sound quality of the Blu-Ray release flat transfer of the original stereo mix?

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

quicksrt likes this.
  9. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I found it interesting. A nice item to have. SQ is very decent given what it is. Those who like all loud all the time will be terribly disappointed.

10. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

are the dynamics between the tracks on the new download correct ? I see its also up on iTunes.

11. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

ricks, what in your opinion is best digital version of Aqualung, is it the new SW remix on HD?

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If you are talking about Aqualung, there are pretty violent digital clicks that were never corrected. Other than that it sounds nice.

I don't like the Benefit flat transfer though. To my ears the old US CD and the remix sound much better.

Whistle likes this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Most recent remix of Aqualung by SW is the best the album has ever sounded. The murk is now officially gone from it. But it's a few years old now.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I should add that I am a major fan of the original quad mix. It never had the murk in to begin with. That is the mix I keep going back to weather I am listening in stereo or in four-channel. It's just beautiful and it's all analog.

tootull likes this.
  16. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Sorry; yes, I meant Aqualung. I have the Mew-mastered Steve Wilson stereo and like the remix, so perhaps the "flat" download version of the remix is the way to go.

17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Is there Thick as a Brick available without the Peter Mew godawful mastering?

18. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

The quad flat transfer is a must to me, it's the real winner on the Blu-ray set. I play it more than any other Aqualung these days.

ricks likes this.
  19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Right now, on vinyl.

The Hi-Res download is coming. The mastering was not as "bad" as on Aqualung.

FVDnz and ponkine like this.
  20. folkfreak

Yes, I bought it this morning and it is fantastic

21. folkfreak

I think it is far worse than Aqualung. Aqualung had the quiet pieces too loud, but Thick as a Brick is shrill throughout.

bobcat and Quark1134 like this.
  22. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hello Whislte, I am humbled by your post. I still prefer the original mix. On this forum that puts me in the minority.

Original Mix:

There are 2 masterings I prefer. I like them both very much and glad I have them. I have listed them in alphabetical order and have labelled both as 1

1) Chrysalis Japan for Europe CD [610 016-217]

please note the catalog number that does not guarantee the same mastering on this one. The Sanyo Japan version will also ways be the mastering I like but only some WG Sonopress apparently had it. Shortly after I spent decent coin on the Sanyo version I found the WG for Europe Sonopress for $5 at local shop. never would have expected to see that here in the US. See the 2 left columns for the mastering I like: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/attachments/aq-gif.61101/

1) DCC - the bass on this one really shines on my main system

I will also say the original US mastering is also very nice even if part of Windup is missing for the $1-$2 the disc costs in my area it's more than worth it -same goes for the 2nd US mastering.

S. Wilson 2.0 remix:

1) Even in my brief compares so far, The new 2015 HDtracks for me trumps the 2011 in every aspect of sound. While still not a true audiophile mastering at least I can finally listen to the stereo remix without have to constantly turn the volume down. Never understood the love for the 2011 mastering of Wilson remix, I thought from day one it ruined his work. Now we can hear it close to the way Wilson intended.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    Dino, Whistle and ribors like this.
  23. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Looking forward to the HDtracks of this one done like they did Aqualung

24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I got the HD Tracks Aqualung based on some of the praise here.

It is the best version I have heard yet.

25. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

Thanks for your exact explaining.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.