Joni Mitchell is still recovering from recent hospital stay *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

At the CSN show last night, The band said that Joni will be leaving the hospital in about a week.

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Did they indicate if she has got to get herself back to the garden?

cwitt1980 likes this.
  3. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

You know, I was waiting for that song all night, and I find it very weird that they didn't play it!

bicyclops likes this.
  4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I'm guessing Stephen Stills has a little trouble singing it these days.....hitting the higher notes.

5. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

He sounded like a drunken Grandpa Simpson last night, but he can still hit the high notes!

6. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

footlooseman likes this.
  7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

An aneurysm? Did we know that was what it was?

8. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

:laughup: Awesome!

9. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Now maybe she'll rethink her chain smoking addiction?

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think a stroke was suspected, but this is similar in its impact.

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

12. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Stupid comment.

sjaca, brianvargo, Sill Nyro and 2 others like this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Not necessarily. My mother smoked for 65 years. Ended up with every respiratory disease known to Man. Confined to bed, weighing 75lbs., she would still sneak a cigarette. Finally at Christmas, she put a bullet in her head.

14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Oh Jesus. That's not a Merry Christmas. So sorry you had to go thru that.

Myke likes this.
  15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

(Nicotine by the way is incredibly addictive.)

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

17. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Very similar story with my mother. Smoked heavily since she was a teenager, developed lung cancer at the age of 65 which quickly spread to her brain. Had major brain surgery and spent the next 6 months in the hospital painfully fading away. Just a few days before she died, she begged my sister to take her out for a walk so she could have one more smoke.

None of us kids have ever smoked.

Myke likes this.
  18. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

That release says "Speech is difficult but she’s communicating"
    ...what that means is...she is able to communicate...not necessarily speak.
    From what I've heard, she is in very tough shape.
    Prayers for her recovery.

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I quit in 2008, but still get cravings all the time. Doc says I will till I die.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  20. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

The jazz guitarist Pat Martino had an aneurysm and forgot how to play guitar. It took him awhile to relearn it. From this point on, a lot of Joni Mitchell's recovery depends on how bad the damage is and how hard she wants to recover.

21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

And of course Neil Young had surgery in 2005 for a life-threatening brain aneurysm...

22. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Oh. Thanks for that. An aneurysm is a specific description of a condition that can cause loss of blood flow, in this case the brain. That is often called a stroke. How does this differ?

23. drasil

drasil Former Resident

brain aneurysm, stroke, and their cousin, cerebral hemorrhage, are all potentially interrelated events. often, an individual will experience one of them on the way to the next, in series.

an aneurysm is a weak region of a blood vessel that 'balloons out' under pressure and causes a pool of blood to gather in the resulting bulge. aneurysms are not exclusive to the brain; they're actually more common in the heart. on their own, brain aneurysms do not necessarily cause neurological issues, and symptoms are not necessarily similar to a stroke. in fact, sometimes the patient is entirely unaware they've experienced one, and symptoms can be as benign as a mild headache. minor aneurysms can be treated without surgery, using anticoagulants and medication to reduce blood pressure. on the other hand, larger and more serious aneurysms can cause issues by pressing against crucial areas of the brain or turning into...

cerebral hemorrhage, which is a rupture of a blood vessel in the brain, causing blood to enter the intracranial space. this requires immediate medical intervention or the patient will die. hemorrhages in the brain can cause numerous adverse neurological effects, which are often similar to the effects of one possible complication of cerebral hemmorhage and aneurysm...

stroke, which comes in two varieties--ischemic (in which no blood reaches areas of the brain), and hemmorhagic (where blood overflows into parts of it). both can be experienced simultaneously, and one can transform into the other. stroke is a complex event that has many potential complicating factors, but the commonality among all cases is the lack of blood flow to regions of the brain, which can cause the death of brain tissue and potentially can result in neurological issues ranging from benign and transient to serious and permanent.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Bryan Harris likes this.
  24. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

So, if an aneurysm causes enough of an issue to cause disability due to disruption of blood flow in the brain, would that not be considered a stroke?

25. drasil

drasil Former Resident

the disruption of blood flow to brain tissue would indicate a diagnosis of stroke--this is the definition of the disease. the etiologies (root causes) of stroke are vast, and aneurysm can be one of them, but intracranial aneurysm and stroke are separate events with separate definitions.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.