Catch-all for archival LIVE Rolling Stones releases, 2000-2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by botley, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. botley

botley Forum Resident Thread Starter

When it comes to live performances and recordings, the Rolling Stones have been more prolific than ever in the 21st century. The sheer quantity of material officially documenting their shows can be difficult to collect and keep straight. Add to this the fact that Ward Records has a number of particularly super-duper-deluxe exclusive editions that can only be bought in Japan... well, the mind starts to boggle.

This thread will help you locate the preferred official releases for Rolling Stones live performances issued in the past fifteen years. I have slotted them into four basic categories: DOCUMENTARIES that mostly feature live footage or focus on specific touring eras, STONES ARCHIVE (a limited run of audio-only `bootleg` downloads remixed by Bob Clearmountain), FROM THE VAULT (an ongoing series of multiple-format audiovisual releases on Eagle Rock Entertainment, some of which duplicate material from the second category), and OTHER types of releases that include live material. These are organized by the earliest year of performances captured.

DOCUMENTARIES
    • Charlie Is My Darling 1965 (released on multiple formats in 2012: DVD or Blu-ray, also as a deluxe box set with two soundtrack CDs, one of which was issued separately as a download)
    • Stones in the Park 1969 (European release on DVD and Blu-ray, with the DVD also included in deluxe box set edition of Sweet Summer Sun, full release TBA in 2015 as part of From the Vault series)
    • Gimme Shelter 1970 (Criterion released a DVD version in 2000, Blu-ray edition followed in 2009)
    • Stones in Exile 1972 (DVD and Blu-ray released simultaneously in 2010, concerns the making of Exile on Main St. including clips from the 1972 tour)
    • Four Flicks 2002-2003 (DVD box set released 2003, some tracks included on Live Licks, Rarities 1971-2003, the Biggest Mistake CD single, and Singles 1971-2006)
    • The Biggest Bang 2005-2007 (DVD box set released 2007, some tracks included on Blu-ray single-disc release in 2009)
    • Shine a Light 2007 (DVD and Blu-ray released in 2008, audio soundtrack of Beacon Theatre performances also issued on CD in single and deluxe 2-disc formats)
    • Crossfire Hurricane 2012 (DVD and Blu-ray simultaneously released in 2012, covering the entire history of the band, contains exclusive live clips)
    • Sweet Summer Sun 2013 (Simultaneously released on DVD, DVD+2CD, Blu-ray, DVD+3LP in 2013; audio previously released for a limited time on iTunes as Hyde Park Live; Ward Records Japanese-exclusive super-deluxe box set contained all of the above formats along with a bonus CD containing additional track Happy, later supplemented with another CD containing All Down the Line, Bitch and Beast of Burden; also released in deluxe Blu-ray+2CD+2DVD format, the latter including an extra disc of Stones in the Park on DVD)

STONES ARCHIVE (available from www.stonesarchivestore.com or on Google Play store from 2011-2012)
    • The Brussels Affair 1973 (2011 remix, also available as a limited edition deluxe 2CD+3LP box set, and as part of the Japanese From the Vault - Marquee Club Live 1971 Japanese deluxe releases in 2015)
    • Hampton Coliseum 1981 (2011 remix, later re-remixed and re-released in From the Vault series, with 2011 mix exclusive to CD on Ward Records Japanese super-deluxe box set)
    • L.A. Friday 1975 (2011 remix, later reissued in From the Vault series along with a different show`s video)
    • Leeds Roundhay Park 1982 (2012 remix)
    • Tokyo Dome 1990 (2012 remix, one track previously released in edited form on Flashpoint; one additional audio track, Angie, from final night of the same engagement was released exclusively as an in-app purchase on the Rolling Stones iOS app)
    • Light the Fuse 2005 (2012 remix, some tracks previously released on The Biggest Bang box set)
    FROM THE VAULT
    • Hyde Park 1969 (Still to be announced, expected July 2015 release)
    • Hampton Coliseum 1981 (2014 re-release with DVD, DVD+2CD, SD Blu-ray, DVD+3LP, and Ward Records Japanese-exclusive super-deluxe box set with all formats containing newly remixed audio compared to the 2011 Stones Archive download)
    • L.A. Forum 1975 (2014 release on DVD; also on DVD+2CD with the L.A. Friday Stones Archive 2011 audio from a different show included as a bonus, or DVD+3LP with a shortened version of the L.A. Friday audio; Ward Records released a Japanese-exclusive super-deluxe box set with both shows on CD plus the DVD and the unedited L.A. Friday audio on 4LPs)
    • Marquee Club 1971 (June 2015 release on DVD, SD Blu-ray, DVD+CD, DVD+LP (the LP contains none of the bonus outtakes included on other formats), or Japanese-exclusive DVD+3CD and SD Blu-ray+3CD deluxe formats adding the Brussels Affair CDs as bonus audio; Ward Records will also issue a super-deluxe box with all of the above plus an LP of the Marquee Club bonus tracks and the 3LP Brussels Affair)

OTHER
    • GRRR! 1963-2012 (Super-deluxe box set released in 2012 including 4CDs of studio recordings, a fifth bonus CD containing the IBC demo sessions from 1963, and a vinyl EP of the Blues in Rhythm 1964 BBC live radio broadcast)
    • Singles 1963-1965 (12CD box set released in 2004 containing the Got Live If You Want It! EP)
    • The T.A.M.I. Show 1964 (DVD released in 2010 with multiple artists performing live, including the Stones)
    • 6 Ed Sullivan Shows Starring The Rolling Stones 1964-1969 (2-DVD set released in 2011 with the complete vintage live TV broadcasts where the Stones performed, including other artist performances and commercials, also in abbreviated 1-DVD forms dropping some episodes)
    • The British Invasion - 1960s and 1970s Rarities (DVD released in 2005 containing one performance of Not Fade Away by the Rolling Stones)
    • Rock `N Roll Circus 1968 (released separately on DVD and CD in 2004, including other artists performing along with the Rolling Stones)
    • Singles 1968-1971 (9CD+1DVD box set released in 2005 with a live version of Time Is On My Side from the Ed Sullivan Show)
    • Get Yer Ya-Yas Out! 1969 (40th Anniversary expanded box set released in 2009, with the original live album, an additional DVD and CD of unreleased Stones performances, and a bonus CD of the opening acts performing)
    • Singles 1971-2006 (45CD box set released in 2011 containing various live recordings issued as B-sides)
    • Sticky Fingers 1971 (Super-deluxe box set released in 2015, including the original album remastered, a bonus CD of alternate versions and several tracks live from the Roundhouse, plus an additional CD with the complete Get Your Leeds Lungs Out! performance, and a DVD with two excerpts of From the Vault - Marquee Club Live in 1971)
    • The Dick Cavett Show - Rock Icons 1972 (DVD box set released in 2005 with edited versions of two performances from the Rolling Stones 1972 tour)
    • Ladies and Gentlemen 1972 (DVD and Blu-ray released 2010, also as a 3-DVD deluxe box set containing Stones in Exile and a DVD with additional interviews as bonuses)
    • Exile on Main St. 1972 (Super-deluxe box set released in 2010 including the original album remastered, plus a bonus CD of alternate versions and remixed outtakes completed in 2010, and a DVD with clips from Stones in Exile and Ladies and Gentlemen).
    • Some Girls Live in Texas 1978 (Blu-ray, DVD, DVD+CD and DVD+2LP formats released in 2011)
    • Some Girls 1978 (Super-deluxe box set released in 2011, including the original album remastered, plus a bonus CD of alternate versions and remixed outtakes completed in 2011, and a DVD with clips from Some Girls Live in Texas and three promotional film performances)
    • Live at the Checkerboard Lounge (With Muddy Waters) 1981 (Released in 2012 on DVD, DVD+CD, DVD+2LP, and unedited Super-deluxe box set version exclusive to Ward Records in Japan with DVD+2CD+3LP)
    • Come and See Me About (With John Lee Hooker) 1989 (Released in 2004 on DVD, a compilation of performances by Mr. Hooker with one song performed with The Rolling Stones at Atlantic City, 1989)
    • Exclusive Fan Club DVD 1989-2003 (Various clips from the above Atlantic City performance to the Licks tour released in 2005)
    • Toronto Rocks 2003 (Commemorative festival performance DVD with multiple artists including the Stones headlining, released in 2004)
    • 12-12-12 The Concert for Sandy Relief 2012 (DVD, 2CD sets released in 2012 featuring many artists who performed at Madison Square Garden to benefit hurricane victims, with two songs from the Stones)

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  2. botley

Thanks to @mick_sh for the correction: the Brussels Affair box set actually has 3LPs. The Ward Records edition of Marquee Club includes these as well. Updated to reflect this.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

just needed a post here...

4. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Thank you, botley, for taking the time to put that incredible - and very informative - list together. Talk about being spoilt for choice. It seems to me that the releases seem to be speeding up also. I really should stop thinking about what they're going to put out next and just concentrate (for now...or maybe a month or two) on the Sticky Fingers and Marquee sets.

Thanks again.

Hep Alien and Exile On My Street like this.
  5. botley

Two other DVD box set releases from 2008 for the Other category:
    • Saturday Night Live: The Complete Fourth Season features three songs performed live on the show by the Rolling Stones in 1978.
    • The Story of Beat-Club Vol. 3 1970-1972 features several intimate performances from 1972 later excerpted as DVD bonus tracks on the Ladies and Gentlemen releases.
    A 2010 DVD release called Frost on Saturday has a 1968 live performance of Sympathy for the Devil originally broadcast on David Frost's BBC-TV program.

Also, the Knebworth 1976 live recording of Wild Horses was released on a download EP along with the Sticky Fingers and Stripped versions of the song in 2009.

The Rolling Stones 50th Anniversary live compilation is a 2CD affair packaged with Crystal Head vodka; it's entirely previously released material from other live albums.

I'm indebted once more to Felix Aeppli's Ultimate Guide for much of this information.

Hep Alien, dee and vonwegen like this.
  6. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Nicely done Botley!

I'm hoping in the future that we see these two listed -

From The Vault El Mocambo
    From The Vault Unreleased 72 Live Album

Would love to know if there ever was a title for the 72 live album in the works.

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

spend the night together japan only blu-ray

Carl80, KAT and botley like this.
  8. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Nice to have in one place.

9. botley

I don't think those are candidates for From the Vault since there's no video to accompany the gigs.

Today, however, Apogee's Facebook page posted that they were transferring multi-tracks from a '95 Stones show to Pro Tools with their digital interface. Brixton Academy From the Vault?

vonwegen, TeddyB and brianvargo like this.
  10. Great info - thanks for your time and effort! One thing missing - I'm sure there's been one or two more comically inept efforts to upgrade the Got Live If You Want It LP from 1966 within this period - stick with the original mono LP if you can hunt it down...

11. There are also what I believe are official Blu-ray releases from Japan of:

• The Stones In The Park
    • One Plus One

Both of these were available via CD Japan.

danielbravo likes this.
  12. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

I think we will see some "From The Vault" releases in the future without video. Just my opinion.

I went to Apogee's Facebook page and commented on the photos asking if it was a vault release. I doubt they will respond.

13. botley

It remains to be seen if the show will be approved for release after it has been transferred, remixed, and sync'd to video. I think at the earliest we will know by the end of the summertime.

Brixton is my favourite of the Stripped-era gigs. A truly remarkable performance.

14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Botley- Thanks for taking the time to map out The Stones releases -:tiphat:

15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

The thread title specifies LIVE (in CAPS, no less) and then goes on to discuss everything that was put out.

So, anyway. Why is Stones in the Park being classified as a documentary, while there's Hyde Park 1969 mentioned as possibly July release? Stones in the Park seems live to me. Some other footage was edited into the DVD, but that seems more in line with the general topic than Grrr!.

Bottom line is that they've gone the extra mile to serve every segment of their fanbase to satisfy demands for material from all 50+ years of their career. People here get too selfish and impatient. It's wise to stagger the releases and maintain emphasis on the current tour. It's already been mentioned elsewhere that they'll likely issue some of the other performances in various forms.

Compared with their contemporaries, the Stones have been diligent at getting their stuff out.

Exile On My Street and Dave Hoos like this.
  16. botley

No, I did not. Anything that includes live material is listed, the studio album A Bigger Bang and related materials or compilations/reissues of old albums with no newly released live material are not.

GRRR! super-deluxe has some of the BBC live recordings that fans have been moaning for them to officially release for years.

Stones in the Park was put together by a television documentary film crew and does not follow the order of the original concert. The remixed Vault version of Hyde Park '69 will probably reinstate the concert's running order uninterrupted (hopefully).

17. SoundAdvice

The format roll out on these vault releases have been fan unfriendly and quite confusing. I can pick and choose the shows I wish to keep.

18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Yes. They should only release what you want and the way you want it. :agree:

Jack and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  19. SoundAdvice

I'm saying it's nearly impossible to keep track of all the release variations from all the countries and all the retailer exclusives that are seemingly mixed & matched in random order. When Hampton/LA came out at the same time they were on 3 different video formats, and various bundles with shirts/vinyl/CDs/bonus tracks between a dozen different countries that didn't seem to be the same anywhere.

Hep Alien, cc-- and lightbulb like this.
  20. botley

It's one show, just buy one version.

I'm pretty jazzed for an official release of this:

Bossyman likes this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Just one version....? And then miss out of a full length video concert, or audio show. One needs to be careful that they don't go with one set and find out later that they are missing a bunch of material.

Bruins64 likes this.
  22. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Great job, thanks for putting this together.

As the man hawking programs at the baseball game yells out, "Programs, Programs, get your Programs! Can't tell the players without a Program"

Thanks for the program of telling us what is out there.

Now to discuss them all in depth .....

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. SoundAdvice

They do fun stuff like force bundle to cd version with the DVD, then hardcore fans have to buy the blu-ray version as well.

24. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

You are awesome! Thanks.

25. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

Are the Japanese Ward Records DVDs/Blu-Rays region-free? I'm extremely interested in the Marquee 71 deluxe release, due to its inclusion of a physical release of 'The Brussels Affair' live concert from '73, but would like to know if I will have to purchase the Marque DVD separately (which I hope won't be the case!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.