Licensed to Ill. Great album, bad sound. Why?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cracklebarrel, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like lo-fi stuff. I have a grip on the various ways recordings are made and the pathways to the final distributable.

Why does every version I've heard (vinyl, cassette, CD) sound similarly flat and sonically lifeless?

2. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I can tell you aren't listening to it the right way. In order to properly enjoy it, you need to pack a room with some friends, some booze, and some cheapo speakers and have a party.

zaza_3121, hi_watt, mbrownp1 and 12 others like this.
  3. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

It was made to sound good on one of these.

[​IMG]

4. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

What's the time? It's time to Budweis... :)

JuanTCB, warewolf95 and Al_D like this.
  5. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a deluxe edition of this album.

gates69 likes this.
  6. attym

attym Forum Resident

I've always thought it sounded wonderful.... Different strokes.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

If there's one album that doesn't need any audiophile foolishness it's that one. Enjoy it for what it is.

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

When no one is playing any instruments or singing, is it important to have a lot of detail and clarity?

9. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Not in every case. Why would that be crucial 100% of the time? I trust the ears of the Beastie Boys on this one.

10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That's my point. Classical music needs high sonic quality. Samples and beats need flavor and style.

I saw the license to ill tour and i would guess that the boys got limited production time and support for that first record. They were a gamble for what was a small lable. The fact that they hit big was a shock.

I am on the side of feeling that the album sounds great. I'm not going to put it on to test new speaker cables but it is a watershed recording.

ianuaditis and Hymie the Robot like this.
  11. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Why isn't this album in print on vinyl? There's an entry on Discogs for a 2LP reissue by Def Jam in 2005, but I question whether or not it's legit. I've never seen anything other than the original pressing, and there are no reviews or copies for sale on there.

12. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I vaguely recall that pressing but it disappeared fast - I think DefJam/American changed their distribution deal right around that time?

13. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

They need to reissue this LP, preferably in the original single disc configuration. They'd sell a ton of them. Good examples are very expensive.

John Bliss likes this.
  14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The original CD/LP sounds bad and the remaster is even worse. A remix would be a good idea.

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It is what it is! A fun party Rap record. Not for the Krell crowd. Sonic masterpiece it is not. This one is for the Flava.

16. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

You're getting your wish it sounds like. Soundstage Direct sent out an upcoming releases email mentioning this. No release date.

17. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I can't wait!

MusicDirect has it on preorder with a release date of September 2.

John Bliss likes this.
  18. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The original lps sounds great. The sound is huge are you turn up the volume. This isn't for the audiophile crowd maybe but if you like good sounding mid-late 80s hip-hop, this is up there at the top of the list.

The reissue vinyl from early 2000s sounds very average. Likely cut from a 16/44 file.

I always thought the original cd sounded weak in my car at least.

nitsuj, John Bliss and johnnybrum like this.
  19. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have an original and it sounds great to my ears.

johnnybrum likes this.
  20. Seth

Seth Forum Resident

21. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

There was a college radio station that played the full songs from EVERY sample on this album. LA station I believe. Pretty cool, wish I would have caught more of it...

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  22. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Original LP sounds monster through my Krell. I was too poor to own a CD player when this one came out. Now I'm stuck with the original vinyl, alas.

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And yes, while I am not a much of a hip hop fan, I do like this album. But it is what it is. Fun listen.

John Bliss likes this.
  24. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I have a vinyl copy that is fairly well trashed and it still sounds great. It has held up beyond expectations. As for the engineering ... Yup sounds like an 80s rap album.

McLover and John Bliss like this.
  25. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I have a 1986 Canadian pressing and I think it sounds very good for a "rap" album :laughup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.