Poll: What's your next TV going to be?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RK2249, May 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Since plasmas are essentially extinct, mine will definitely be an OLED (assuming they don't become extinct too). Of course the one I'd like to get still costs about $9,000 so I won't be getting one anytime soon.

Front projectors are nice but I don't have the room...and you can't beat the black of an OLED ;)

As for 2K vs. 4K, I really don't care but I guess it'll probably be 4K.

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I already have a 40" 4K set in my bedroom. It's an impressive little set.

3. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I was looking the other day. I still like my 6 year old Panasonic plasma better than any I saw. Hopefully I'll get a couple more years to think about it.

RK2249, jriems, tootull and 1 other person like this.
  4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I'm with you.
    BTW, how much 4k stuff is out there?

5. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

A ton of TVs. How much 4K content? Not much yet, as far as I know. The demonstration discs they feed into those sets looks good, but unrealistic to me. Real life colors are not as vivid as these demonstration discs make them look. They kind of look cartoonish. I would need to watch something I am already familiar with to determine if I really want 4K.

6. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

My little 40" Samsung up-scales BD and DVD very, very well. The new Godzilla movie looked way better on the Samsung than on the 42" Panny plasma that I played it on firstly. I'm not so sure we'll need true 4K content to get improved images from these sets. At least that's my experience so far. When my 60" plasma dies, I can't imagine buying anything other than a 4K OLED or LED set....unless they invent somethin' else in the meanwhile.

7. shokhead

Right now I wouldn't spend extra to get 4K but by the time I get another TV it will most likely be standard.

Rufus McDufus, RK2249 and Coricama like this.
  8. RK2249

I have a 6-year old Panasonic plasma, too...and still love it :)

But those OLEDs look phenomenal though. Just don't have any real reason to get one yet.

9. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

We're going to jinx ourselves if we keep talking about it! :yikes:

RK2249 likes this.
  10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Our main 46" TV is 8 years old. Will probably replace it with an inexpensive 55" or bigger LED. I think some of the new tvs are crazy overkill when you can get a 55" Samsung LED for $600

11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

My 40 inch LED is good enough for now, my living space is small and anything bigger would feel oppressive.

12. RK2249

You're right :shh:

Coricama likes this.
  13. RK2249

True, but that's like saying why get a BMW when you can get a Kia. Personally, I'd sooner get a Kia then spend the money on a BMW because having an expensive car does nothing for me...however, I will spend the money on an OLED eventually as they are they are about the only thing that will live up to my plasma and I watch enough TV that anything less would annoy me.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's not the discs that are cartoonish, it's the clown-color-mode settings that most showrooms use to attract attention. 4k on its own doesn't affect color. 4k with HDR and/or wide-gamut 10-bit panels will affect color (for the better).

Coricama and RK2249 like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have no idea...I'll know when I need a new one.

16. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

Yeah, me too. It should be quite a while so I'll just have to see how things shake out. And I like to buy A/V technology when it's mature (aka cheaper).

Michael likes this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they are changing so fast it's all too much!

18. shokhead

Why get a Kia if you can get a BMW!:agree:

RK2249 likes this.
  19. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

That's good to know. Like I said, I need to see something I am already familiar with to make up my mind about them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.