Harry Nilsson's The Point.... Any fans?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Remurmur, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Funny thing about that is I remember sitting down to watch it a couple of times when I was a kid, but I swear I can't remember if I ever made it to the end or not.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. John54

John54 Senior Member

I have seen it a couple of times, years ago. It managed to keep my attention to the end, which is a positive attribute ...

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Convoluted story. Like I said, it might have been better as a half-hour or maybe a one-hour show, not a 90-minute feature. My old boss at the recording studio, Alan Barzman, was the replacement voice for Oblio's father after Dustin Hoffman refused to allow his voice to be used on reruns.

4. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Fan of the album. Never saw the animated cartoons. I also really like the OST with Davy Jones and Micky Dolenz. And I put a version together that uses Harry's recordings that were part of the play and the OST. Like "Gotta Get Up", "Thursday", "Remember" etc. It's a fun listen.

5. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ Thread Starter

My wife and I watched the recent Westminster Dog Show 2016 broadcast, and one of the dog's names just happened to be Oblio.

One of the two hosts said to the other: "You know where they got the name, don't you?" When the other host said "No" the first one said " It's for the Wicked Witch's palace guard in the Wizard Of Oz when they marched and sang 'Ob-li-o' "

It was the way he said it, with such a sense of "Aren't I clever ?" that I just had to laugh.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Has the 45 version of ME AND MY ARROW ever made it to CD?

7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Is this an alternate version?

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, and love the soundtrack mastered by SH...

Remurmur and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I don't think I have that version... Hmm

I would love to see a deluxe edition that includes any alternate tracks and story line. Include the OST with Dolenz and Jones. Also a dedicated CD with just the music and lyrics.

Remurmur and Michael like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

And add on all the songs that Harry recorded that were later used in the play version...

Remurmur likes this.
  11. Michael

DCC DZS-158 CD Harry Nilsson The Point(Soundtrack)

[​IMG]
    Harry Nilsson The Point!

1. Everything's Got 'Em
    2. The Town [Narration]
    3. Me And My Arrow
    4. The Game [Narration]
    5. Poli High
    6. The Trial & Banishment [Narration]
    7. Think About Your Troubles
    8. The Pointed Man [Narration]
    9. Life Line
    10. The Birds [Narration]
    11. P.O.V. Waltz
    12. The Clearing In The Woods [Narration]
    13. Are You Sleeping?
    14. Oblio's Return [Narration]

Produced by Harry Nilsson

Remastered for this compact disc by STEVE HOFFMAN.

Remurmur, goldenoldie and D-rock like this.
  12. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Given the bounty of Nilsson reissues etc., one thing I wish they'd do is have the Point! songs with clean intros and endings. Not sure if the tapes still exist to make that possible, but it would be nice, as I think a few tracks seem to start or end slightly abruptly due to the way the album was edited.

I've always felt that if you cut the narration out of the soundtrack album, that would be a perfect (though rather short) Nilsson album.

D-rock likes this.
  13. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Love it..Been a huge Nilsson kick lately... Especially his '74-'76 time.

14. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

I never even knew there was any visual side to this, and have been doing fine with just the LP for a few years. I guess that means the pictures in my head are good enough! :righton:

15. Michael

perfect indeed...

D-rock likes this.
  16. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Just a musical intro instead of the spoken one from the LP.

D-rock likes this.
  17. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I don't think the single version of "Me And My Arrow" is even that different. There is no musical intro; it just begins with Nilsson singing the title. I think it's exactly the same as the album version with a fade at the end.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Now you've got me wondering, because I could swear that it had a few bars of an intro to it, and not just a cold start edit with him singing.

The promo copy perhaps? Am I dreaming this? Who can yank out their 45 copy?

19. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Is that available on CD anywhere? (Foreign release maybe?)

20. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

One of my all time favourite albums. I've still got the cassette from when I was little, the I bought the cd. About a month ago I treated myself to the original record. I'm gutted though as it doesn't have the comic. I wanted to call my dog arrow but got outvoted. I love everything about it, the songs are sublime and the narration is just as good. "You been goofin' with da bees?"

21. parman

parman Music Junkie

Saw the TV show stoned, don't remember it but think I thought it was cool. Had the 8-track but that was 40 years ago. Guess I'm still a fan.

22. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Maybe you're misremembering what RCA did on one of their Nilsson anthologies. That version doesn't begin with music, but it doesn't have the same cold intro as the single, either. Basically it begins with just a small bit of the narration that precedes the song on the album.

23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Nope. Just on bootlegs. It needs an official release. Hopefully 7a Records will get around to it.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

No. *THAT* I know isn't what I'm referring to. That's just a lame edit into the album version, and yeah, I've heard that.

25. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

This is why it would be great to have that (and possibly some of the other tracks) with clean intros.

D-rock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.