Who is your favourite 70s/80s pop, rock soul etc female act: Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, May 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Where is Bonnie Raitt?

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

She's on the poll.

seakon likes this.
  3. Just like Karen Carpenter was the voice of The Carpenters so was Annie Lennox the voice of The Tourists/Eurythmics. But hey, it's your thread.

4. Bobby Morrow

Yeah, I know. I shouldn't have included Karen really.

5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Best songwriter on the list is Dolly Parton. One of the greats. Best singer on the list is far and away Aretha Franklin, but by the mid-70s her best records were behind her. (Like Loretta Lynn -- Aretha and Loretta Lynn would get my vote if we where talking about female popular artists of the '60s and '70s). Best zeitgeist capturing pop star on the list is Madonna. Most creative and sui generis original genius on the list is Kate Bush. Most underrated hitmaker on the list is Pat Benatar. Most overrated singer on the list is Barbra Streisand. I'm not choosing. Aretha Franklin and Kate Bush are my favorite artists on the list, but the '70s and '80s weren't Aretha's era. Madonna's records, and to some degree -- although more from a prog rocky kind of POV -- Kate Bush's define the '80s in many ways (and "Wuthering Heights" is a quintessential '70s record in some way), but I think the '80s was such a crummy era for pop music, that kind of like being the king of the junkyard. Also if Karen Carpenter is on this list, then every female artist who was not a solo act should be on the list -- like Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie, who wrote and performed some of the biggest pop hits of the era.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  6. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

It's Linda Ronstadt for me, followed by Cyndi Lauper.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Have no regrets Bobby! Nice inclusion. :)

8. Bobby Morrow

Her first 2 albums are great pop/MOR. I also like I'm Your Baby Tonight and My Love Is Your Love too. Her final studio album, I Look To You, has a handful of great songs, though her voice isn't as good.

But you and your mum probably already know this!:)

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  9. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Joni Mitchell gets my vote.

10. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I need a doctor.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

I like Bonnie. She was definitely going in.

12. Bobby Morrow

****, another one I forgot! :hide:

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

I never realised Kate Bush was a big thing in the States. Huge here, though.

14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Of course if someone is in the States, Kate Bush has nearly zero pop music visibility. Her only record that had any kind of pop profile in the U.S. was The Hounds of Love -- it was the only album she ever had in the States that produced a top 30 single (barely) or got her on MTV. The Kick Inside didn't even chart in the U.S. If she's a major pop act of the era, at least from a U.S. perspective, then the poll maybe oughta also include Patti Smith, who'd get my vote, or Salt and Pepa, or certainly Shania Twain, all of whom had enormously more substantial careers than Laura Branigan or Suzi Quattro or Sheena Easton. Kate Bush's profile in the states is marginal. She's a genius. I love her work. But she's a figure almost like Captain Beefheart here. Closer to that than to Madonna.

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

She wasn't other than the MTV blip that was Hounds of Love.

16. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

For me it's Kate Bush. And Bonnie Raitt is a close second.

Those are the two whose albums I still listen to regularly. The other artists here produced some great songs that I listen to on occasion when those songs pop up on shuffle. But I don't listen to any of their albums start to finish. With Kate Bush and Bonnie Raitt, I do. Hounds of Love and Nick of Time both hold up today as great albums.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I love Joni but i have a hard time thinking of her as an ''act'', she's much more than that.:)

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  18. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

She's a Class Act.

Jackson and JohnnyQuest like this.
  19. Kate Bush was big in Canada starting with her debut album.

20. Sarah McLachlan's first album "Touch" was released in 1988, so technically she could qualify, albeit it's a stretch. :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Carly Simon............ a superior talent
    Linda's great too

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

If I can't say Heart, then Pat Benatar.

23. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

From the poll choices:

'70s: Donna Summer
    '80s: Madonna

Aretha and Dionne were better in the '60s, IMO. And Carole King and Joni Mitchell should have been included (as already has been pointed out). Also Joan Jett (got this from the next post :)).

SITKOL'76 and JohnnyQuest like this.
  24. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I would vote for Stevie Nicks if she were here. Loved Linda Ronstadt in the 70's. Where's Joan Jett?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.