Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here.

Welcome! :wave:

This thread (and the 70 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. To access any of the old threads, please click here. Going forward, this will be the only thread needed, as a Gort has informed me that we no longer need to limit threads to 1,000 posts. This should make following this thread a bit easier, as we will always be here, no new threads. In addition, it will be easier to search for prior discussions.

Beginners are especially welcome in this thread. I hope that everyone will feel comfortable to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.
    Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, classical works, classical composers or classical performers.

Please discuss audio hardware, music formats and software audio players (such as Spotify and Tidal) in threads dedicated to those topics. I suggest the thread Best Hardware for Classical Music for audio hardware discussion.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!

:wave:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2015
    Ando II, jfeldt, NickySee and 9 others like this.
  2. drh

drh Talking Machine

Hi, George,

Thanks for doing the legwork about the perpetual thread!

3. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Spinning now, my favorite Water Music...
    [​IMG]

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

From me too.

George P likes this.
  5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

:agree:
    I haven't heard that particular recording but I like that cover art!

6. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Thank YOU, George for all of the work on the past 70 threads as well as you and others rekindling my interest in classical music. I also very much appreciate the recommendations and advice from you and the others in those past threads as I delve into areas of classical music that previously held no interest for me.

Now...let's get rolling on this one.....

7. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Isaac AlbenizEchoes of Spain
    John Williams (Sony Classical), CD 2 from:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Suite Española No. 1, Op. 47: No. 1, Granada (Serenata) / Suite Española No. 1, Op. 47:No. 5, Asturias (Leyenda) /Suite Española No. 1, Op. 47: No. 3, Sevilla (Sevillanas) /Mallorca (Barcarola), Op. 202 /Cantos de España, Op. 232: No. 4, Córdoba /Piezas Caracteristicas, Op. 92:No. 12, Tórre Bermeja (Serenata) /Suite Española No. 1, Op. 47:No. 4, Cádiz (Canción) /Piezas Caracteristicas, Op. 92:No. 7, Zambra Granadina /España, Op. 165:No. 2, Tango

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

And from me :righton:

George P likes this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

Back when CD was still the brand new, shiny, with-it format to which everyone (well, nearly everyone) aspired, a collector friend bought a Technics player and started exploring. And hated it. I don't know if it's because he listened exclusively over (pretty bad) headphones, but he said that every time he tried listening to a disc, he got a splitting headache. Be that as it may, not long thereafter, a big collection of 78s came his way, and he let me borrow the player for a couple of weeks while he did a shellac fest. Looking ahead to when I would take the CD plunge myself, I took the opportunity to buy around a dozen discs of my own and, using my friend's player, transfer them to open reel so that I could still enjoy the music once my friend reclaimed it. OK, let's get to the point: this disc was one of them, and I still have it. Haven't played it in a long time, but I remember it as being a nice account. Probably won't go back to it any time soon, though--the radio, to which I listen a lot in a lengthy commute, has been so water(music)logged in recent years that I've grown really tired of this score--quite spoiled it for me. :sigh:

royzak2000 and ToddBD like this.
  10. John S

John S Forum Resident

this morning...

[​IMG]

For years, I've thought Pinnock & Co. served this music so well that I've never felt the need to own any other version. I've always enjoyed the sound of this CD, despite its early digital provenance.

My local station did the same to Till Eulenspiegel for me.

bonsaipark, Carl Swanson, Mik and 2 others like this.
  11. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Piano Concerto No.9 K271, No.20 K466 (Cadenza by Beethoven)
    Lili Kraus – Vienna Konzerthaus Chamber Orchestra – Willi Boskovsky (Erato/Warner Classics—Les Discophiles Français), CD 15 from:

[​IMG]

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following LP from my Dvorak collection ...

[​IMG]

13. coopmv

Wow! The Long and Winding Classical Music Corner thread ...

George P and Scopitone like this.
  14. drh

drh Talking Machine

As I drove my daughter to an activity in the past hour, guess what came on the radio yet again? Sigh....

15. coopmv

The SQ of this early digital recording is quite good ...

16. coopmv

We folks on this forum may be the last generation who appreciate and are perhaps even passionate about classical music. Given the current disposable era mentality when MP3 sound rules and classical music has becomes less and less relevant, I wonder if there will be future generation of craftsmen who can build or service instruments for classical music ... :sigh:

McLover and jwb1231970 like this.
  17. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this CD. Great transfers and performances.

18. coopmv

The first listen of the day of the following LP from my Dvorak collection was great ...

[​IMG]

head_unit, Daedalus and bluemooze like this.
  19. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Didn't mean to start a "water fight" :hide: :D

I agree, there is certainly music that is overplayed on classical radio today...if you can actually find a station...I think many of them changed their formats to emphasize "lighter" music and isolated single movements of classic works to attract new listeners who may not have the "patience" to listen through a complete Bruckner symphony, which I think is the exact opposite of what their core listeners want to hear. I don't ever want to get tired of hearing a Strauss waltz, for example, and maybe over saturating some music is actually turning some people away ("Oh goody, the first movement of Beethoven's 5th, for the fourth time this week!")

ceedee likes this.
  20. George P

Don't Believe Me Just Watch? :D

Unfortunately, that song is everywhere.

Anyway, let me get back to my Moiseiwitsch CD. :wave:

21. coopmv

Now playing LP1 from the following twofer from my Smetana collection ...

[​IMG]

22. coopmv

I have many versions of the Water Music but have not played any in years but did so reluctantly when I was recently going through the Sony Vivarte box, which provides a second-rate performance ...

23. john greenwood

This morning - DFD singing Schubert Lieder on DG. I set my Squeezebox to shuffle, and will listen to the 408 tracks until I feel the need for a change.

24. john greenwood

Re: locked thread. - Sorry about that, George. I just clicked on new alerts, and posted below it, without noticing it was the old one.

25. George P

No problem. I don't know why, but the old thread was somehow unlocked. I have reported the thread, but none of the Gorts seem to be around.