Wayward Pines (new M. Night Shyamalan TV series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Man, all I can say is the latest episode made my head likely to bus' open! I thought it was fantastic, and it was a huge, huge unexpected plot twist to not only bring in two unexpected characters (Matt Dillon's family), but they also killed off a major name in the cast <character not revealed>.

My theory (and this is not a plot spoiler, only a guess): when the <character name> was dying, he warned Matt Dillon's character that the truth was "much more horrible than anything he could possibly imagine." Judging by the events of the last couple of shows, I think the mistake everybody is making is that we're still on Earth. What if this were another dimension or another planet, far away from Earth, and this is like a zoo run by aliens in which they're observing the behavior of humans? To me, this answers the time travel issues, the weird monsters glimpsed at the end of the new episode, and also some of the general Twilight Zone strangeness going on. We'll assume that the beings running the place have the ability to instantly jump back and forth to Earth.

Given that the Dillon's family can't quite remember how they were transported to Wayward Pines, this would be in line with the idea that they were brought there by very unconventional means. You could also interpolate that the reason for the Secret Service's uncooperative attitude with Dillon's family is because the U.S. government is in cahoots with the aliens; maybe it's a "Vichey government" kind of thing, where if they cooperate with the bad guys, they'll be rewarded and allowed to survive in some way. And it would also explain the hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars a facility like this town would cost to build and maintain.

If anybody has any contrary theories, I'm all ears. This ain't Disneyland, that's for sure. I really, really like the show so far, and I thought it would be typical M. Night Shyamalan B.S. I'm very happy to be wrong for a change.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    ben_wood, jon9091, kevywevy and 4 others like this.
  2. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Maybe it's "Being John Malkovich" fanfic and they've ended up inside Damon Lindelof's head. The opening eyeball, the big electrified fence, the smoke monster, the time anomalies. Wayward Pines is really The Island.

--Geoff

jon9091 and JimC like this.
  3. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Having read the trilogy it is fun for me to read all the speculation.

Hoping they follow the books, we are all in for a nice ride.

ben_wood and mynameistaken like this.
  4. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Watched 3 last night and I am hooked now. This episode really moved the story forward and it needed to.

5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

As an avid fan of the IMDB site, I was looking at the Wayward Pines comments there yesterday. Not the public reviews, but the message boards at the end of the listing. Lots of spoilers there from those who have read the books. I couldn't resist and read all of them. Vidiot is way off in his guesses, good as they are. :)

Don't go here if you don't want to see spoilers!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2618986/board/?ref_=tt_bd_sm

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Didn't work for me.

7. jsayers

If you're referring to my IMDB post, maybe you have to be logged in to see the message boards, I'm not sure.

8. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

:laugh: No, I meant the show.

jsayers likes this.
  9. I sort of liked the first two episodes but thought it would just go around in circles. But I agree with Vidiot and got sucked into the episode three twists. Glad things are changing up quickly

But more excited that Hannibal comes back this week. The best thriller on any channel.

10. Vidiot

Doh, I caught some spoilers on the book reviews of the Wayward Pines fiction series. Well, I was in the right direction on one aspect: where they really are. And I'm glad they totally explained why some people believe they've been in the town for quite a few years when Matt Dillon saw them only a few weeks ago. I was looking for a logical explanation, and damned if there isn't one that actually makes sense.

11. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned yet, but apparently the production team are trying to get the word out that this is a one-off series, not something like Under The Dome where they will apparently stretch it out far beyond what logic would suggest is possible, and which is just one of a number of shows that have burned people to the point of avoiding oddball series like this. They're covering what all three books cover in this 10-episode series, something I find helpful when it feels like there are no solid answers coming. There is an end, and it is an END. I'll happily tag along as long as there's a real conclusion coming, and not just more questions.

JimC likes this.
  12. well that's good to know. I hope they are not all in purgatory....

zobalob and Deesky like this.
  13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I noticed while watching eps #2 and #3 last night a promo for an upcoming Fox series called "Gone - A Wayward Pines Story". So this 10 episode arc is to set up the concept, and then they are planning a whole different series as a longer running event.

14. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Episode 3 was great!

I'm guessing:

That they were on some road that circles around the town, when Sheriff Pope cut Theresa's brake lines causing a car crash. I did not see them killing off Pope coming at all. But what do other people see if they drive to Wayward Pines? The people in the other town knew there was a town there.

15. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I think that "Gone" thing is just a series of story-based Microsoft advertisements. There's no series planned; they're just chopping up a short story (laden with Microsoft product placement) into short "parts" as "webisodes."

ben_wood likes this.
  16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Really? That's lame.

17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

that works for us.

18. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Episode 4 took some unexpected turns. I loved the encounter between Theresa and Kate.

That nurse continues to be a favorite character. She really projects evil.

I keep wondering why Ethan is still alive.

The teaser for next week, looks like a lot will be revealed in the next episode.

JimC and jsayers like this.
  19. jsayers

Great episode - can't wait until next week!

JimC likes this.
  20. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Anyone think there are live rounds in any of the guns he got from the Sheriff's office? Obviously the old Sheriff had live rounds, so Ethan has 5 shots left in the old Sheriff's service revolver?

21. Vidiot

Nope, everybody is alive and what you see in the show is really happening (in terms of the reality of the story).

The single biggest clue was the dead guy telling the sheriff Matt Dillon that he went on a date with Pam, then woke up in the town... only Pam was now a lot older. Not a spoiler: I'm just reminding people of what was shown in the episode.

It's fair to say we'll have a huge answer once Dillon climbs the mountain.

JimC likes this.
  22. Marshall Dillon?!?!?

ben_wood and JimC like this.
  23. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Agreed! I read the trilogy a few months back. Great read! (since then; I've read a few other of his books).
    We watched the first episode last night. Liking it so far....

24. Harry C

Harry C Forum Resident

Last night's episode (#5, 'The Truth') was a welcome pay-off for persevering through the first four episodes. Revelations that make sense of (most of) what's gone before; more explanations to come. I thought Ben would be brainwashed at his school's 'orientation'; instead, he was enlightened, as were we. There's still evidence of creepy cult-like behaviour but, under the circumstances, that's understandable. It's turning into a good show.

JimC, Vidiot, kevywevy and 1 other person like this.
  25. Harry C

Harry C Forum Resident

Last night's episode (#5, 'The Truth') was a welcome pay-off for persevering through the first four episodes. Revelations that make sense of (most of) what's gone before; more explanations to come. I thought Ben would be brainwashed at his school's 'orientation'; instead, he was enlightened, as were we. There's still evidence of creepy cult-like behaviour but, under the circumstances, that's understandable. It's turning into a good show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.