Best "Supremes" single?! (Poll)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

A #5 hit would've still received frequent radio play. :p You guys must've been burned out on their music by the time Diana left.

2. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I was referring to their presence on the oldies station, in the '80s (when I was a teenager). From a group with twelve #1 hits, their other big hits necessarily took a back seat.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They used to run ads in the music press here that said 'Nathan Jones ... Too Good For Radio'

Thom and JohnnyQuest like this.
  4. JohnnyQuest

Still was a hit, charting at a lofty #16. ;)

5. JohnnyQuest

6. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Yeah, some of those mid-seventies Supremes singles should certainly be better remembered than they actually are. I have a soft spot for the two very last Supremes albums, named High energy and Mary, Scherry & Susaye. Including the single You're my driving wheel, which was more disco-y. I don't think these were ever released on CD. A shame, really.

That said, they can't hold a candle to many of their 60s hits, when the Supremes were really in their prime. It's hard to choose just one, but in the end I went with Love child. You keep me hangin' on and Someday we'll be together would round out my Top 3.

Glenpwood likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuest

@Bobby Morrow :wave: I know you're not the biggest fan but vote. Lol

8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Haven't heard all the songs on the list, but chose Where Did Our Love Go. Honestly, they all sound the same to me.. Motown in the 60s was like Stock, Aiken & Waterman in the 80s/90s to me!

9. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

The last two albums were released on CD with Supremes 75 as a box set from Hip-O Select a few years ago. Its called Let Yourself Go: The Scherrie Payne years. Unearthed some great alternates and lost tracks. The whole High Energy album is on it twice due to them unearthing a shelved mix of the set from Russ Terrana. Definetely worth picking up. Was fairly inexpensive on Amazon not too long ago...

mosogotamravip likes this.
  10. JohnnyQuest

Favorite outtake..

11. Okay - if I had to pick only one, I'd have to go with "Where Did Our Love Go" for several reasons - first, it's the one where H-D-H finally figured out the formula that would sustain for the next three years of massive commercial and critical success, and second, that indelible close-up of Diana's eyes when they close their TAMI Show performance with it that will forever remain etched in my brain.

12. JohnnyQuest

I was more mesmerized by this close up of her eyes :love:

13. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Which is very likely what I would have gone for, but The Happening I would be content to pick - I've got the original mono single as well as it on a few comps, so it must be good. :D And You Keep Me Hanging On would be top 3 as well. Best? I don't know, but these are the ones I don't think I'll ever tire of.

Alan1074 likes this.
  14. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I think Phil Collins ruined the legacy of You Can't Hurry Love, it's an incredible single,
    but not as good as I'm Ready for Love by Martha Reeves.

15. slinkyfarm

slinkyfarm Forum Resident

I voted for "Reflections". Great song, great performance, plus there's the China Beach title sequence.

I'd have voted for "Love is Here and Now You're Gone", but the edits on the spoken-word parts just break the rhythm for me every time. And "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" is my favorite Diana Ross performance, but again the spoken-word parts were a letdown. It's nice to see votes for "Stoned Love" and "Up the Ladder to the Roof" - I keep those on a couple of my USB sticks for the car.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  16. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I was going to say Where Did Our Love Go, but You Can't Hurry Love is just too great.

17. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

I voted for "Stop!" - love that driving bass in the chorus.

18. JohnnyQuest

I still have faith in "Nothing but Heartaches" & "Floy Joy" but there's no hope for "In and Out of Love".:laugh:

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Love Child!
    Awesome.

Moontrekker likes this.
  20. Tough to choose just one...
    Where Did Our Love Go?

21. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

My dual number 1 is Run Run Run and Nothing But Heartaches.

22. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

THE HAPPENING!!!! FANTASTIC melody! Ballard's last bow! The last 'Supremes' single for 3 years!

23. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Thanks - I never knew that. Another reason why this is such a great forum. The hunt has started....:)

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  24. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

My absolute favorite is "You Can't Hurry Love". This was the first 45 single I ever saved up for and bought. I was seven years old.... And oh how great that original mono mix still sounds!

This was The Supremes' 7th Billboard #1 single. The girls had TEN Billboard #1 singles in the three years from the summer of 1964 through the summer of 1967!!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  25. JohnnyQuest

Thanks @goodiesguy :)
    Now the only two without votes are "In and Out of Love" (as expected) & "Floy Joy".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.