CD shopping in Denver and Boulder?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by fsutall, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm spending several days in Denver and Boulder this week and am hoping to do some CD shopping while I'm here. Any stores of interest in the area?

2. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Vinyl is slowly taking over the stores here, but Wax Trax and Twist and Shout both still appear to have solid CD selections.

3. greatmuta

greatmuta Forum Resident

Twist & Shout
    Independent Records
    Wax Trax

4. Lazlo Nibble

Lazlo Nibble Forum Resident

I visited a few weeks ago and hit Twist & Shout and Second Spin (the latter because we were staying nearby). Twist & Shout is a better record store overall, but my big scores were all at Second Spin. They're heavily weighted in favor of CDs too.

I missed Wax Trax because I couldn't figure out where the hell I was supposed to park. :)

5. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Albums on the Hill in Boulder.

Twist and Shout, Wax Trax and Independent in Denver.

Those are really all that are left.

6. fsutall

Thanks for the suggestions!

7. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

It's certainly more "corporate," but as Lazlo said, don't disregard Second Spin. I have found some great stuff there on occasion. The prices are a bit high, though.

8. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Second spin at one time was massive, not really sure, haven't been in the market in years. There are two stores on Colorado. Barts is back w a small section of used cds. Also Black and Read in Arvada. Enjoy looks to be a hot one today.

9. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Second Spin's prices are a bit high, but they seem to always have a sale of some kind going on. My last visit I got 40% off my entire purchase which was almost all of the Pink Floyd remasters in used/near mint condition for $6 each.

10. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

:shake:

So many great scores in those stores and ones that are long gone...I was lucky enough to live in Denver/Boulder from 85-88...

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  11. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I don't know about the Denver stores, but the biggest Independent Records store here in Colorado Springs (there are three or four locations) has a MASSIVE 99 cent CD section that has some really good stuff in it, if you're willing to dig. For the most part nothing is alphabetized or categorized. But if you're willing to strain your eyes looking at hundreds and hundreds of CD spines, you'll find some awesome stuff. I would imagine the Denver stores have something like this as well.

12. greatmuta

greatmuta Forum Resident

There's also a huge store in Colorado Springs called Entertainmart (which used to be a Media Play). They have tons of CD's/DVD's/Video Games,etc. Just thought I'd mention it in case you happen to visit CO Springs also. :cool:

13. redraiderak

redraiderak Forum Resident

while you're in the area you might want to check out this place:

http://www.posterscene.com

i haven't been but it looks like the kind of place music people like us might enjoy and its on my list to check out when i'm visiting next.

14. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Boulder's used CD market was essentially destroyed when Bart's CD Cellar (which was neither a cellar, nor owned by Bart) was closed a few years ago. It used to have tons of turnover of newly bought used CDs, enough to make going once a week well worth it. But they are gone.

So now in Boulder there's essentially only 2 places, neither of which are much good.

Albums on the Hill is a dingy and overpriced used-CD store located in a basement in the college area. It is not worth going into unless you enjoy paying double or triple what you could pay at Amazon's used shops. (If there's a used CD that sells on Amazon for one cent plus $4 shipping, Albums on the Hill will have it used for $8 or $9. If there's a $5 used CD, Albums on the Hill will have it used for $10 or $12.) They hardly take anything in, so they don't have much going out - which may not be their fault, it may be that the students just do not have CDs to sell any more. On the plus side, there is a disaster-area in the middle of the floor-area which, if you look closely, you will see is not garbage, but is in fact an interesting variety of semi-beat-up promo posters. The store gets by on uninformed students.

Also in Boulder, there is a tiny outbuilding called Bart's Music Shack, which is all that is left of the now-closed Bart's CD Cellar. It is a bit overpriced and it won't take you long to flip through everything, but if you are already in Boulder you may as well drive up to it, as it is a nice (albeit tiny) place. This store seems to draw the more discerning music fans, including adults:
    https://www.facebook.com/bartsmusicshack

15. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Not a CD store, but on the Pearl Street pedestrian mall in Boulder (the street with bricks and no cars), be sure to stop into Into the Wind. It is not really a kite store anymore, it is a sort of toyshop with tons of interesting trinkets like you'd find at Urban Outfitters (but much more). At this point the "Into the Wind" name is only hurting them - even their website still makes it seem like they are a kite store.

16. evad

evad Well-Known Member

There's already a bunch of threads on this topic. Try using search. Good luck.

17. fsutall

Really? Please show me all the threads about music shopping in Boulder, as they didn't come up when I searched for them.

18. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Also.. Black and Read. I have found a bunch of good used vinyl there

19. gojirin

gojirin Forum Resident

Twist & Shout
    Black and Read
    Wax Trax

are really what's left. Parking for Wax Trax can be work - try Washington between
    14th and 13th next to the Episcopal Cathedral...

20. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

As above, in Denver- check out 'Twist & Shout'. Very cool store and outstanding selection!!!

21. fsutall

Thanks for the suggestions! I was able to visit Wax Trax, Twist and Shout and Second Spin. I found a few items of interest at Wax Trax and Twist and Shout and had a lot of fun exploring both stores. Second Spin is nowhere near as interesting but I found several CDs I was looking for and at good prices, so it was definitely worth the visit as well. The highlight of the shopping day was the farmers market directly across the street from Twist and Shout Sunday afternoon, and the bookstore next door.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

This thread's a couple of years old - any updates about the state of used CD shopping in Denver?

23. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

It's been about five years since I visited Denver, but Twist and Shout was one of the biggest and most impressive independent record stores I've seen anywhere in the U.S. Had lots of new and used CDs (and vinyl, too).

I also visited Second Spin. It wasn't as good as Twist and Shout but still had a big selection of used CDs. I've heard good things about Black & Read in suburban Denver as well but have never visited.

Oatsdad likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Back from Denver! Twist and Shout was a veritable gold mine - as noted on the first pressings thread, I made out like a bandit there.

Can't remember what others I hit, though I think I did Black and Read and Wax Trax - neither panned out with anything interesting for me.

I think I forgot to go to Second Spin... :sigh:

25. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Did you go to any of the Angelo's locations? They tend to get overlooked in discussions of Denver area store for some reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.