Talk sense into me. Out with the expensive speakers, keep the cheap?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by james, May 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james

james Summon The Queen Thread Starter

Currently running two different stereo setups:

1) Yamaha A-S2000 > KEF LS50
    2) TPA-3116 amp (30 dollars) > Snell J/III's (paid 200)

I love the Yamaha/KEF rig, but I've been enjoying the sound of the 230 dollar rig at least as much. Am I nuts? Considering selling the Yam/KEF's and buying a Leben for the Snells, but I'm afraid of regretting it.

Looking for a little handholding. Please tell me I'm either on to something or I'm an idiot.

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

No; you're no idiot but you really should have your hearing checked asap.

3. russk

russk Forum Resident

Snell J series are great speakers. I heard a pro refoamed pair and was very impressed. I'd take a pair of those, assuming they're in good shape with a Leben C300 over any Yamaha and Kef LS50s. I really like the LS50 but the Snell Js are a great speaker too and Leben...well their Leben.

Ive read in a couple of places that the Audio Note type J is a modified version of the Snells

james and utahusker like this.
  4. Don't waste your money on a new pair of speakers. You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers.

5. james

I'm all stocked up on speakers at the moment, that's for sure.

6. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

If you're enjoying the cheap system "at least as much", sell the expensive gear and buy more music. Good music is always cooler than gear.

7. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I would get the Snells checked out. If good, I think you can get much more out of them. That KEF mid/tweet sounds a little sterile to me. I like some of the other speakers in their line more, and have always loved the idea of the dual concentric driver as it nearly always sounds amazing. Throw a better amp at the Snells.

8. james

I can't keep up with music! Buying music is the easy part.

They look like the woofers might have been refoamed. Tweeters look mint. I don't hear any weird distortions from bad drivers or crossovers. Right now I just have them sitting on a pair of wood chairs...probably a few inches too tall. It will feel weird to spend 4-500 bucks on Skylans for a 200 dollar speaker.

I wonder how much amp these need to rock out or play some electronica. They're pretty efficient, it seems

9. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Don't get too hung up on the "$200 speaker" thing. They'd cost a ton if you bought them new today. Definitely more than the LS50's.

Rolltide and james like this.
  10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

When I was shopping, I put an IMD test on my CD. Seemed to weed out issues.

I would not worry about the money for the stands.

Model: Type J/III
    Years in Production: 1989-1995
    Original Price per Pair: $690.00
    Power Rating in Watts: 15-150
    Frequency Response: 48Hz-20kHz
    Impedance: 8 ohm
    Sensitivity: 91 dB
    Dimensions: 30.5x15.5x12
    Woofer: 8"
    Mid: -
    Tweeter: 1"​

I probably listened to these when I was a kid. I would think 30-50 tube watts, or a well built 60-80 SS would work well.

james likes this.
  11. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I'd sell the LS50's AND the Snells and buy another pair of modern speakers that you can't stop listening to. Life is fleeting - why settle?

The Pinhead and jupiterboy like this.
  12. james

Efficient speakers at 200 bucks? my unborn kids will be taking these to college

Rolltide likes this.
  13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

:nauga:Nauga is ready to hold your hand.
    You ARE on to something.
    And that something is…you're an idiot! :eek:

Seriously, hey, maybe you just like the sound of the Snells. The LS50 is a great speaker but that doesn't mean it's to everyone's taste. So let me tell you, as a speaker engineer, that yes maybe you like the Snells better. Efficient speaker seem to have an unquantified something that less sensitive speakers lack, some kind of liveliness.

Since your Yamaha amazingly has pre-out main-ins, in your place I'd be selling the expensive stuff and adding a good subwoofer to take the lowest bass load out of the Snells and the Yamaha. More headroom! More, cleaner bass! If you change amps, see that it has that feature, which is rare.

It is also possible to improve the Snells by adding internal bracing, internal stuffing, and internal vibration absorption on the panels. I don't *think* those models have that. Those things would keep the goodness and improve upon it, perhaps dramatically. You could possibly upgrade the crossovers if anyone offers that.

14. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

You like the cheaper ones better? Go with them. I'm the same with my Tannoy DC4s - seen off a good few pricier models.

15. james

Thanks for the reply. I do have a subwoofer set up when using the LS50's.

16. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Keep both rigs.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

But if they do they'll be replacing the foam on the woofers if they can find a replacement. No judgment. Just saying.

18. james

I think you might be right

19. everton

everton Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with your second set. Do both sets give you the same kind of sound? What does one set do that you cannot get from the other set?

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  20. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

My main speakers were free but I still like them.

21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Here's a list of people who have regretted buying Lebens:

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    utahusker, bhazen and russk like this.
  22. james

Not really. The TPA3116 into the Snells sounds more dynamic, lively and textured to me.

bhazen likes this.
  23. everton

everton Forum Resident

I'm not sure what "textured" mean. Do you mean the Snell lets you hear more of your music (i.e., more transparent)? I thought the LS50 was already very transparent.

24. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

1. Which setup is more fun to listen to?

2. Keep that one.

Snells of this vintage are precursors to the Audio Note speakers of today, which are reputed to have maximum musicality. Plus you can upgrade your J's with better Audio Note parts later on. Win-win.

james likes this.
  25. james

Sorry, I don't have the audio reviewer vocabulary to properly explain what I mean. The TPA3116/Snell combo sounds more LIVE to me, for lack of a better term. Maybe it's micro-dynamics? There's more jump factor. Picture the sound of a pick scraping a wound steel string...that's would have more zip to it than the Yam/KEF combo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.