Theatrical Cartoon Shorts, General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by KatCassidy, May 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatCassidy

KatCassidy Mixed bag Thread Starter

We all know of Silly Symphonies and Merrie Melodies but this thread is for discussion of everything from Mickey Mouse to Woody Woodpecker .... remember him? .... to Felix The Cat to Mighty Mouse and everything in between. See, I'm only 36 years old and it turns out that between home video and cable TV, because I live in Australia, I seem to know squat! Sure, I've seen the most famous Looney Tunes and Tom And Jerry's but there were hundreds of these cartoons made for theatres that I've not seen nor, without importing, can obtain on DVD. So, discuss everything and slowly I will learn.

[​IMG]
    On the subject of DVD's, I do have this and it is one of the best sets of cartoons I've ever had. I'm especially happy it has "Popeye Meets Sinbad" and "Superman" on it (aka "Sperman: The Mad Scientist)" on disc 2. Even with plenty of film damage, particularly in the latter, these are beautiful pieces of quite sophisticated animation. Also, on disc one, "The Line And The Circle". Talk about great use of limited animation and great use of the visual medium! (I also have the "Looney Tunes" golden collection, all 24 discs, and a "Tom And Jerry" spotlight collection but I know that's not the best available, or all)

Also, once on TV, as part of a documentary hosted by Leonard Maltin, I saw the Fleischer film of "Raggedy Ann And Andy" (I think that was the title). How did that cartoon NOT win an Academy Award? Is it on DVD, though? I saw it at like 4:30am back in 2000 and I'd like to see it again.

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Four words. Legend Of Rockabye Point!

3. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I have a few questions in regards to how Cartoon shorts were distributed in theaters during the golden age of animation.

-In general, would the company who produced the short only allow that cartoon to be shown before their own feature film? For example, Looney Tunes before Warner Bros films, MGM shorts before MGM films, etc, or would it vary?

-Would a short be assigned to a specific film, or was it shown before all of the company's then current movies?

-How long would a short be shown in theaters before it was replaced by a new one? Was it unison or would it differ from theater to theater?

-On average, how many shorts would be shown before the start of the feature?

OldSoul likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.