Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Needledrops are great but imo, they are not a true representation of a vinyl setup. Too many things involved, especially the a/d interface.

2. This is an old sub-topic that has already been mentioned in the thread, but since maybe @Dr. Metal MD didn't see my previous post on the subject, I want to share my POV again: In my opinion, VTA is overthought / overrated by many audiophiles. Not that you shouldn't try your best at getting your tonearm as parallel as possible to the record surface... but changing the VTA according to the record thickness? Here's what Michael Fremer says about that (and I wholeheartedly agree):

Source: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/man-or-woman-enough-blind-mat-test

Dr. Metal MD and Licorice pizza like this.
  3. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I just spun "The Sting/ Original Soundtrack" on my Pioneer. Sheer eargasm, try it!

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  4. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

Yes, my AT-LP120 is modded some. Preamp removed, heavier counterweight, thick rubber mat, and I was using my AT150MLX cart with it too. I tried the O-rings on the tonearm with it but that didn't really do much. The Pioneer, I feel, is better in pretty much every aspect--especially in the sound department. Using the same cartridge and mat I had on the AT-LP120, the Pioneer sounds WAY better. It seriously surprised me as I figured it would be a little better but not as much as it turned out to be. Best description I can give is better and much tighter bass, wider sound stage, smoother high end and just a better overall attack. Part of it could also be that my AT150MLX is more at home on the Pioneer. It certainly tracks light years better on the Pioneer than theAT- LP120. The other big thing is the sound dampening on the Pioneer is fantastic while it is piss poor on the AT-LP120. This is a big deal to me in this old house with wood floors and crawl space underneath.

5. Just like many of the "professional" turntables, most if not all coming from China. Pioneer is way overpriced. I'll just keep using my AT's and keep my 1200's in the closet.

6. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Your statement tells me that you've never listened to the Pioneer.

Turntable likes this.
  7. missan

missan Forum Resident

I think it might not obvious enough that what we like is subjective. So why is that?

8. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Thanks for the insight. My mind is pretty much made up. My next big upgrade will be this turntable. Now, I just need to find an affordable pair of high-quality open-back headphones. I like listening to my music much more on headphones than through speakers. Thank you for all of your insight and POVs. It has really been helpful, especially since you were pretty much in the same shoes I am in now.

Budysr likes this.
  9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

While there are lots of choices in phones, let me suggest the AKG K240 Studio model. I got mine for a bit of $100 and like them a lot. Great sound, not articially boosted in the presence region the way my Grados were, but neither are they dull or overly warm. They're not big thumpers on the bass side of things but quite accurate actually. I'd definitely recommend them as a best buy in the range of $100-150.

10. Dr. Metal MD

Thanks for the suggestion. You're referring to these, right? (http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Stere...8&qid=1432997823&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+k240+mk2)

I've been using Audio Technica ATH-M50's for the past few years, and I absolutely love these phones. They were also only a little over $100 when I first bought them. These things produce incredible sound for the money. I'm looking for the next step-up in terms of price range and quality and I'm hoping to pick up from open-backs. I'd love the Audeeze, but those cans are nearly $1000. I'll definitely keep the AKG's in mind, though. I was thinking of these HiFiMans (http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAN-06096...qid=1432998120&sr=1-1&keywords=Hifiman+He-400)

11. Yep. Never listened to the new Pioneer. Watched the videos of abusing the new Pioneer. Pioneer lost it's edge with turntables many years ago. The PL12D-II was one of the best home stereo TT's ever made. Wished I'd kept mine. Traded it for a Dual 506(which I still have, in storage). No need to listen to or buy the new Pioneer. Sound of TT's is affected by cartridge and playback equipment. How steady can speed control and start-up be when you've already got a TT that is close in specs? The new Pioneer also lacks the 78rpm speed like the 1200's did. I am a serious record collector, so I have records of all speeds and types.
    Just for the record, I use Shure and Pickering carts. My main TT on my home theater system is and ADC +6 using a Shure M97xe. On my quadraphonic system, I use the AT-LP-120-USB using whatever the cart needed to play the type of record that I am playing. On my computer recording, I use the GLI BD-1600 or the AT.

12. Possibly because when we pay stupid money for a turntable and/or cart, we want to make ourselves feel that we made the best choices. You have to consider the source, what type of records are you playing. Why spend a lot of money on a TT or cart to play poorly mastered, poorly pressed and/or worn records?

Licorice pizza likes this.
  13. missan

missan Forum Resident

That is of course true. I didn´t express myself good enough, though. What I meant that we listen subjectively and what we like is mostly totally subjective.
    It´s not mandatory to think we prefer something else over what we have, if we really like what we have. Why would any TT really suit us better, Pioneer, VPI, Rega, you name it, when that is not our opinion.

14. Everybody hears differently. Sound reproduction is totally subjective to whoever is listening to it. Kinda like beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. There is nothing out there that can satisfy everybody all the time. If you've got the money to buy and try new things, go for it. If you are happy with what you've got, stick with it.

Licorice pizza and missan like this.
  15. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I don't know where you got that from. Lots of DCC and Mobile Fidelity in my collection, which is about 98% near mint.

Stupid money would be a Rega- and yes I've owned a couple.

The Pinhead and Licorice pizza like this.
  16. missan

missan Forum Resident

Only if you think Regas are stupid money, many do not think that at all, as this is subjective.

17. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

18. You can have the DCC stuff, I was never impressed, they made plenty of mistakes starting from the source material. However, the MoFi stuff, now that's some good ear candy and super quality all the way up to the pressing stage.

Stupid money is when someone has the kind of money they can spend it trying different things out without putting a dent in your bank account.

19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

20. Dr. Metal MD

Please share your thoughts when you get 'em!

21. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I will. I had the original 240s back in the day and loved them big time - I am curious to see how the new ones stack up.

22. Dr. Metal MD

And I'd be curious to hear anybody compare them with the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. Those are the headphones that I always hear most often recommended for cans < $150.

johnny q likes this.
  23. Dr. Metal MD

I know somebody on this thread has already mentioned a possible fluctuation in price for the PLX-1000, but do you guys think the price will change/increase/decrease within the next year or so? I know it's hard to say, but the price of the Audio Technica AT LP120 continues to rise. It was just a little over $200 standard when I bought mine in the spring of 2012. Now, it's $275-300, especially the black version. Funny now that I look back, because I've spent more modifying this turntable than on the turntable itself!

24. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'm guessing it will stay steady until it is discontinued. I'm only guessing however- I've noticed that even products made in China have had fairly substantial price increases in the past few years.

25. Dr. Metal MD

You're most likely correct. Hopefully it won't be discontinued for awhile yet! Even my Audio Technica headphones have been increasing in price over the last few years, at least on Amazon.