Why Teen Spirit?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

It doesn't work that way.

nodeerforamonth and GodShifter like this.
  2. Back in 1993-94 the chorus could get a bunch of grad students slammin' like no other song I can think of.

3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

OK, I'll bite. The lyrics openly mock the idea of teen rebellion while the music embraces it - the resulting tension at the end of the verses provides the perfect setup for the H-bomb that goes off during the of a chorus. Up there with TV Eye and City Slang as one of the most **** hot performances captured on wax.

Scott222C, ARK, Clarkophile and 2 others like this.
  4. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

I believe that you just answered your own question.

5. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

I also think the title of the song itself was evocative in just the right way for the time.

6. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

They are both not even close to Metal albums. What is it with people round here and their F***d up view on what they think constitutes metal music?

Scott222C likes this.
  7. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Good riff and production, too.

Smelled nice, too.

[​IMG]

8. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Nirvana is Metal?

9. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Because it was catchy and revolutionary so therefore it had everlasting effect.
    I will never forget those days of the fall 1991 when I first heard it.

ARK and vinylphile like this.
  10. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

I was 15 and my brother was in his first year of college and he brought Nevermind and Ten home to me for Christmas '91. Changed my view of music overnight.

RomanBlade and ARK like this.
  11. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Nirvana sounds like Motley Crue compared to a Beethoven String Quartet or "Nessun Dorma" - don't let the outfit (plaid shirts Vs spandex) and narrow view of "Music" confuse the matter - BOTH are heavy guitar rock and not Jazz, Classical or Soul, or Blues or Electronic Dance Music or Gregorian Chants etc etc - just sayin'

12. Marko L.

Marko L. Forum Resident

I agree that Nirvana sounds like Mötley Crüe compared to classical music, but so does The Who and Jimi Hendrix. Should we remove all distinctions within genres?

ARK likes this.
  13. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

No, but we should put them in context with the enormous bandwidth that "Music" has to offer and therefore not constantly fall prey to petty discussions in the virtual schoolyard in every other thread started by obvious trolls ..... Yeah, I wish ....... couldn't even heed my own advice.

nodeerforamonth and Marko L. like this.
  14. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

That's fair, I do feel in terms of GNR songs, it's one of their defining epic songs, much like Estranged and Locomotive. Some great lyrics and delivery by Axl but it's true there aren't any definable hooks in it nor were there meant to be really. It's not exactly a "single" type of song. In that sense, it was never going to be a generation-definer. Too much of a downer lyrically anyways to be all that popular. Still would love to hear Coma live some day though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.