Game of Thrones Season Five! No Spoilers Please!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Sure, but they were all logical settings for those scenes. If Ser Davos and Stannis went to go meet with a representative from the Iron Bank to try and secure financing, but the writers had the meeting take place at a brothel or tavern with naked serving girls, that would be awful suspicious. But the Sparrows are puritans, so it makes perfect sense that we see them entering a brothel to arrest "sinners" and trashing the place. You can say those scenes are meant to titillate, if you want. The whole show is supposed to be visually stimulating. But if you saying that is the ONLY purpose of those scenes, or that it is somehow evidence of the show going out of its way to titillate, I don't agree.

If anything, I think there is less of that now than when the show started.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, but not the amount of nudity.

3. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I don't. You had beheadings, molten gold deaths, and defenstration just in the first season alone. It really hasn't changed, if you ask me.

lobo, brew ziggins and marblesmike like this.
  4. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

There's that word again. I love that word.

(But it's "defenestration")

Aggie87 and Rufus McDufus like this.
  5. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

You're right. They haven't been going out of their way, but the point I was trying to make (or overmake) was simply that having decided to heighten the sexual content and sexual violence of the novels from the start, in the general "house style" of the network, they also alienated a certain kind of viewer, obscuring other aspects of the show that should actually appeal those very viewers (the strong female characters, the story's sympathy for their plight, and the roles the show has made available for great female actors: kids and teens, 20-30 somethings, middle aged and older women).

Again, whether or not the show has gone farther in the titillating direction, it's easy enough to see why the show gets the mixed reactions it gets. It's the result of a highly successful, but also somewhat uneasy mixture of exploitative impulses and more high-minded artistic ambitions.

L.

Tristero, DeeThomaz and chacha like this.
  6. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

So... uh.. why do you even put the Beatles on the avatar when those have released such mysoginistic songs such as "Run for Your Life," "You Can't Do That"?

This is just a tv show and, as someone has rightfully pointed out, a world, which is a version of the medieval one. Seems to me that the amount of misfortune and suffering falls equally on both men and women.

Michael and GentleSenator like this.
  7. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I think we all agree that the show, as I've said, represents misogyny (and, in general, a patriarchal world in which women, with only a few privileged exceptions, are under a fair amount of "good" old fashioned oppression). Whether or not the show expresses misogyny is another matter. My own sense is that the use of the term "misogyny" for the way the show depicts women is a misuse of the term, although I understand the political or ideological point some people mean to make by using it (it's meant to point to what some people argue are the oppressive dynamics of the way women are represented for men's pleasure in a patriarchal society). To whatever extent that point is true, the show might be said to be guilty, but that's a complicated matter of debate. And in this case it's complicated by the other aspects of that the show is doing, expressing, and making possible in practical terms.

In any case, the show is enormously entertaining to me, although I liked the earlier seasons best because they felt closer to the books to me.

L.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

nothing bothers me on this show...if anything it's closer to the truth of Medieval times even though GOT is total fantasy...it's done, over, many centuries ago!...BUT, ppl will take this seriously and boycott the show! WTF is wrong with them? Oh, I know PC has festered into fantasy as well.

9. Michael

Emilia Clarke on Jimmy Kimmel tonight June 29th!

10. Michael

check her out!

Ed Hughes and mikeyt like this.
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

She looks so much better brunette.

Dubmart likes this.
  12. Michael

I totally disagree..blond so much better!

lobo likes this.
  13. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I think I'm with Michael on this one. Either way a beautiful girl.

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

she's so damn sweet! did you see her on Kimmel? I did not know she was in the new Terminator movie...nice.

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

She looks wrong as a brunette....as a blonde she is a goddess though.

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

blinding bright rays of blond madness! Damn...she is a cutie pie!

slipkid likes this.
  17. Michael

yes, real life (this is a TV show) back then wasn't all peaches and cream and rainbows...
    just say the mantra: it's only a TV show, it's only a TV show...

18. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Missed her on Kimmel. I did check out the clip you posted earlier.

Michael likes this.
  19. Michael

it's probably on utube..she was great! yes, an excellent clip showing her other talent!

Ed Hughes likes this.
  20. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Are you describing 'Outlander', perhaps?

21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

A large amount of the cast appeared on "Conan @ Comic-Con" this past week...
    try to check it out... funny stuff!

22. agentalbert

Game Of Thrones will probably end after season 8.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni58850617?ref_=hm_nw_tp2

The Television Critics Association summer press tour took place today which means there’s tons of television news coming out of California this evening. HBO president Michael Lombardo dropped one of the most eye raising bits of info: their flagship show “Game Of Thrones” is looking to close up shop after season eight. According to Lombardo, showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss are “feeling like there’s probably two more years after [season] six.” The HBO president admitted he would “love for them to change their minds, but that’s what we’re looking at right now”(previously, the HBO chief said he’d hoped the show would run at least a decade). Makes sense as eight years, plus development is a long time to do one project. Benioff and Weiss have probably earned the clout to do anything they want and could possibly pull off some big feature film work if they so aspired to.

townsend likes this.
  23. Michael

BUMMER, but it's OK as long as they end it properly...

Ed Hughes likes this.
  24. agentalbert

I can't be upset about that. That's AT LEAST three more seasons. That's more than we've been told to expect in the past.

vince, brew ziggins and Michael like this.
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I thought as long as the books were still coming out that they would keep the series going too - because otherwise they couldn't end it "properly" (?). I haven't read the books but I gathered from these GOT threads that the show does follow the books to a large extent (although there are differences).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.