Why I Love/Hate Vinyl

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dudley Canuck, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I like BOTH formats , but prefer Vinyl & i have seen quite a few cd's with just as many problems .....

Duran duran - a few of them had Digital skips in them

Tori amos - under the pink , there is a dropout/phase problem in one of the songs & on cd #2 they used a wrong version of a song ....

We can find errors in BOTH formats & cd's & the loud mastering problems are honestly what turned me the other way .

Love the music & spin the format you like :agree:

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

No problem, just seen a lot of threads like this. It appears you have decided that vinyl is not for you (with a lot of thought behind the decision). That, to me, is the end of that conversation.

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I saw the same photo yesterday with the caption, "I just paid off my student loan"!

Hawklord, tootull, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  4. Dentdog

Dentdog Forum Resident

Just got the NAD M55 CD player back, upgraded. It's no slouch, balanced XLR. Put a few on. Switched to vinyl. Wanted to believe my CDs would approach my vinyl, but they didn't. The guitar sounds more like a guitar. The singer sounds more like a real voice. Only one person who has ever heard and compared the two preferred the CD. My wife.

5. russk

russk Forum Resident

What kind of set up did you have. Granted I've vacuum cleaned all my recorde but maybe 1 out of 4 have a couple of pops and clicks. I'd suggest you need to do better maintenance like cleaning your albums and your stylus or going to Digital :laugh:

6. russk

russk Forum Resident

Spot on. Right down to the BO. Well said

7. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

I've just ordered a gallon of Titebond II from Amazon since it doesn't seem to be available anywhere in Calgary. Sheesh!!!

tim185 likes this.
  8. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I prefer vinyl. I like the actual interaction you have with a real artifact. And it sounds more real, TO ME.
    I just A/B'ed "Physical Graffiti" the other day- the new remaster CD to my 1975 LP. LP won! Sounded more balanced, TO ME.

But my LPs are in boxes in my bedroom. They're so heavy that I end up playing music from my hard drive most of the time. Full AIFF or FLAC files of course............! Can't afford shelves at this time.

9. I love music and don't care how in get it, then again I am glad the 8 track and cassette are gone. Wait, other then the niss and pencil rewind issues tape sound goods too.

10. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I grew up with vinyl. I have 100's of LP's. I prefer streaming.

11. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

For me CD's are nice for cleaning the house and working out. When I sit down to listen, vinyl keeps me involved. My mind kind of stays on the music.
    Tim

12. russk

russk Forum Resident

Usually I listen to both, LPs on an RP6 and digital Hi Rez and FLACs through my DAC, and lots of Pandora and Spotify streaming. However with the demise of my DAC I have been listening to nothing but records and have realized how much I prefer the LP to the digital medium. That being said I spend about 1/3 the amount of time listening now without the convenience of digital. So definitely need both.

13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Sometimes, I, uh man, this is difficult . . . sometimes I kinda like surface noise on an LP or on an old movie transfer. Hewwww, there, I said it.

14. Like?

15. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

I've been spinning vinyl for 40+ years. I bought my first CD player back in 1986..
    I've been listening to music in both formats ever since. Sometimes I listen to CD's
    and other times I listen to vinyl. I like them both and always have.. Enjoy what
    you like... It's all good...

Music1212 likes this.
  16. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

The only thing that really bugs me is when a record is cut off centre.
    That's something you can't see when you'e buying an album. If a record is scratched I can put it back but there's nothing more frustrating that getting a mint LP home and having is sound like junk because of poor manufacturing.

It's such a shame the self-centering turntable didn't take off, that really should be a standard feature in all new record decks in my opinion.
    I would track down an old Nakamichi but it seems that getting them serviced is a nightmare due to obsolete parts.

I've got to the point where I'm only playing Vinyl that isn't available on CD. Sad as I love everything else about the format.

17. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I don't seem to have the offcentre problems other people talk about here. Or maybe I just don't notice if a LP is slightly offcentre.

18. VINYLFREAK1978

VINYLFREAK1978 Well-Known Member

I have both formats, but predominantly play Vinyl.. As far as Crack and Pop goes I too find it annoying and that's why i only go for Mint or Near Mint records, like you wouldn't buy a scratched CD and put up the the Digi Skip.. There is no right or wrong answer.. It's totally down to the individual..

Sailfree likes this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I would ask Niel Cleaver; I'll bet he knows. :agree:

20. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

You know...for the game of us..it's possible to fix with a keen eye. Almost all records are a bit off center to me,if you watch for stylus swing,but often it's not audible until sometimes at the very end.

21. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

It mostly comes down to three things:

1) the quality of the recording - if the recording and mastering is better then whichever format has the better recording/mastering is likely going to sound better
    2) The quality of the players being discussed (IME inexpensive turntables don't sound better than CD players). I was sucked in on that $200 turntables beat $2000 CD players thing and it's, IME, absolutely not the case. Rega P3s and MMF7 etc do nothing for me.

3) what is more objectionable to the ear - surface noise and thumps exist but then so does CD frequency cut-off and poor treble resolution. Even with current mainstream pop music - there is an added sense of 'ambiance' to recordings. I brought home Ellie Goulding "Lights" which is a compressed recording but the shimmer on cymbals seems more natural with the vinyl - but even brand new first play, there are some pops.

I grew up with CD - I don't have the nostalgia factor of these things and personally I don't like the fussing with them but vinyl holds my attention far more than all digital mediums - but I do agree with the downsides the OP mentions - they exist - But it is understandable to be put off by the more obvious imperfections - CD don't possess the more instantly obvious weaknesses of vinyl.

The OP didn't even mention that new LPs cost more to significantly more than CD counterparts or that LPs deteriorate after every play. Each medium offers strengths and weaknesses - occasionally though the LP will have bonus tracks or different versions of songs that are not available on CD.

Further there is an increasing number of limited box set LP editions which may become more valuable as collector editions. This doesn't have much to do with the sound quality but it does enhance the pride of ownership. I picked up Wes Montgomery "In the Beginning" today which is a 1500 issue run - so there is that - there are only 1500 people on the planet that will have this set. Given that I have seen the likes of Sarah McLachlan go from $30 LPs to now up over $200+ there is a certain collector's element involved.

The Entertainer and Alan2 like this.
  22. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Would the efficiency of the TT/arm/cart make a difference? I don't have end of side problems much at all now, but I've gone as far as I can with the Tt end of things.

23. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Switching from a Soundsmith Zephyr to a Dynavector XX-2 offered a huge improvement in this area. Granted it's double the price but it was a very welcome surprise with the cartridge swap.

24. For me personally, accurate music reproduction is in no way as important as the amount of enjoyment I get from the music reproduction. My vinyl playback system elicits a more visceral and emotional response from me than my $2K CD player has been able to provide on a routine basis. I don't try to analyze or explain this "sensation" in a scientific or mathematical manner, and doubt that I could if I wanted to. Music is art, and art is appreciated differently by each individual.

If I proclaim that chocolate ice cream is best, and you say "Hell no, vanilla is better", which one of us is right? Actually we both can be correct if you place the priority on personal, individual taste. There is no universal, indisputably correct answer for a diverse group such as this one. I enjoy many different flavors, but one is my favorite. No matter what facts, data, beliefs, or other arguments you can present will necessarily change another persons perception or preference. We are all different and see--hear---feel things through the unique lens of who we are.

You prefer CD and I prefer vinyl. I have no problem with that! Vive la difference, and happy listening!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    SandAndGlass, Dino, Antares and 2 others like this.
  25. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

The master recording doesn't.

SandAndGlass, Grissongs, JMR and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.