Favourite David Bowie 70s Singles Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Wasn't Duran Duran's New Moon On Monday a really long video too?

2. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Quite hard to choose only 5, but I succeeded anyway:
    - Starman
    - The Jean Genie
    - Fame
    - Golden Years
    - Heroes

I wanted to type that you didn't list Space Oddity and Ashes To Ashes. But looking for them on Discogs made me realise they're both outside the 70's. :shrug:

I really love his Let's Dance album :hide:, but he sure did have great singles throughout his whole career.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The whole enchilada (aka the entire longform video) is available on the Best Of Bowie DVD set if you have that one. You have to access it as an easter egg during the performance if I recall correctly. The alternate video of just Bowie playing in front of a small crowd is there as well (an easter egg within an easter egg). Actually Wikipedia says the longform video on the DVD is slightly different, but close enough.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

I DO have that DVD and didn't know about the Easter egg! That's something I'll have to check out. Thanks for that!

5. Bobby Morrow

I may do an 80s singles poll. He had some great records in the first half of the decade at least.

6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

There are "guides" online to help find the easter egg (I just don't recall how to navigate to the longer video). I DO remember that once you are in the longform video, when you get to the part where the girl is watching the video on the TV, if you click the arrow button on your remote to highlight the TV screen, you can select the alternate video of David performing for a small crowd (sitting on the floor around him).

Edit: I just checked - the crowd is actually standing but singing along in a small club setting.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Thanks. I haven't played that DVD for years. It's worth trying to find the full length 'Blue Jean'. Even though it's not very good!

jhm likes this.
  8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

It's strange how Heroes has become so loved as it didn't perform very well in the charts when released. Bowie was so clever, when everything was either punk or disco he went in a completely different direction.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

"Oh yeah? You're a bit thinner, ain't ya, this time, Demis Roussos? On yer bike, son!"

Note to overzealous moderators: this is a line from the aforementioned long-form video, and in no way whatsoever can it be classed or perceived a personal attack on anyone, least of all a forum member whose appearance I know absolutely nothing about. The quotation marks were kind of a clue...

jhm likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I couldn't possibly disagree more with this post. The longform "Blue Jean" is the greatest video ever made!

11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I got it and thought it was hilarious :righton:.

MadamAdam likes this.
  12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I have to admit, after re-watching it yesterday, it was funnier than I remembered. It helps that I just "understand" the whole situation/dialogue, etc. more as a 46 year old than I did as a 15 year old (when it came out) :)! The whole "Screamin' Lord Byron" persona was hilarious IMO. I love how he's just cowering and saying "go away" when Vic crashed into is room (literally) and how he's only getting part of the details of meeting the girl earlier correct and sort of looking uncomfortable when she corrects him. It's a pretty good parody of himself and I think it's cool he was willing to poke so much fun at his overall persona (or at least perceived persona).

Oatsdad likes this.
  13. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Yikes, I will have to take a fresh look, but I do remember at the time thinking how much better he was just a few years previously.
    I seem to remember that he made another film style video for Day In Day Out. I just didn't really like this period Bowie at all, he kind of lost his way. Of course we all know this anyway. He seemed to be following the pack rather than leading.

14. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I have among this list, "Rebel Rebel," "Fame," and "Golden Years." But a qualifier: For me, the shortened, overdubbed "Rebel Rebel" issued on U.S. 45 only.

15. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

More people should vote for Diamond Dogs!

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm not discussing the quality of the song "Blue Jean" - I think it's enjoyable but far from classic Bowie.

The video is just a hoot, though...

17. Rachel

Rachel Active Member

Heroes was and is one of the best songs ever written.

18. wandique

wandique >>> Senior Member

Heroes? Indeed :righton:

19. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

MadamAdam likes this.
  21. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

So difficult but...
    Drive-In Saturday
    Life On Mars
    Rebel Rebel
    Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
    Heroes​

22. search&destroy

search&destroy Well-Known Member

"you've torn your dress and your face is a mess!" easily, "rebel, rebel":righton:

23. Bobby Morrow

What's terrible is that this was one of the best lines in the video!

jhm and MadamAdam like this.
  24. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Eve Ferret chat on FB now and then. We met at a car boot sale in Battersea, of all things. She loves having a rummage around for dainty old relics, which is why she and The Dame got on so well.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

Heroes and Life On Mars both well in the lead.

Wish I'd have put in The Laughing Gnome now to give them some competition.:D

MadamAdam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.