Advice for a vinyl purchase lost in the mail*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by yookmook, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yookmook

yookmook Forum Resident Thread Starter

what will you do when your vinyl lost?

please advice me/i am new to online shopping and i order from discog.
    the seller has a pretty good selling rate 99.6 out of 100

i ordered 2 vinyls with registered shipping from UK.
    pay by paypal

5 days later,i tracked the tracking no./the seller shiped to wrong country (not mine).

i try to contact seller/ no response.

what should i do?
    thank

2. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

if you made payment by paypal , they can make a claim for you, I think

starduster, Joshua277456 and yookmook like this.
  3. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

on the discogs page where you chat with the seller. there is an option that says "seller not responding?"
    click on that....it will put a strike on his account if he doesnt respond.

also for your money. all you can do is file a claim with paypal.

starduster and yookmook like this.
  4. yookmook

thank for your opinion.

finally, it's royal mail fault/ sent the package to wrong country.

what should i do next?

5. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

If it actually has the right address on the package it might still arrive....you never know.

Tom B and Laibach like this.
  6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

7. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Take out a ticket with Discogs and let them know what the issue is. I have found them to be responsive. The shipping issue, even if attributable to the Royal Mail, is the seller's problem, not yours. He contracted with the Royak Mail, and you did not. Pursue a refund and let the seller sort out the mess. It's his issue and not something that you need to be responsible for.

yookmook likes this.
  8. yookmook

i hope so but the package shipped to CHINA.
    can't imagine

9. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

...that could be an added complication...

yookmook likes this.
  10. yookmook

Today i contact royal mail by myself/

thank god royal mail response to my enquiry.
    he said / when parcel reach CHINA ,it will ship again to my place and it might be a little delay.

or it will return to sender.

if it 's not arrive in 30 days, it's will be missing case.
    and i will open the case with paypal.

thank you everyone for your opinions.

11. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

It really isn't your responsibility to be contacting Royal Mail - the seller should be the one sorting this out. I assume he's contacted you by now?

I wouldn't rely on the records turning up at all - either the seller should have refunded you, (or Paypal certainly will), and he can then recover the money from the useless Royal Mail, that's if he bothered to insure the goods properly.

12. yookmook

at least somebody care about my case/it might happen to everyone on a bad day.

Thank you for contacting Royal Mail.
    Once again please accept my apologies for any Inconvenience caused.
    Both us and the Chinese post will do everything we can to get this matter resolved as quickly as possible.

Again please accept my apologies.

13. LSP

LSP Well-Known Member

It would be cool if they also apologised for their appalling grammar.

yookmook likes this.
  14. progmog

progmog Senior Member

How many days has it been since you paid for the records? Just be careful that by waiting for another 30 days, you don't lose the right to make a claim. I think under PayPal's rules, you lose the right to make a claim after 45 days.

yookmook likes this.
  15. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Good point. You really can't afford to wait too long for these records, at which point your beef should be with the seller and not the Royal Mail.

yookmook likes this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

My advice: file a claim with PayPal right now before it's too late. If I'm not mistaken you have 180 days from the moment you paid via PayPal. I think it used to be 45 days, but it seems to have been extended to 180 days.

17. yookmook

it's 10 days after i paid for the record/

i hope i will have a happy ending with help from royal mail
    because i check my tracking no. this morning
    and it was written '' export from china ''.

i wonder

'' have you ever been in the same situation as me?" (post office sent the vinyl to the wrong country.)

18. jhdave

jhdave Member

Precisely why I won't ship anything overseas. Sometimes it can take 4-6 weeks, and people tend to get antsy and file a claim and blame it on the seller after a week or two. I lost a lot of money shipping overseas for records that people received after refunding em. Once it leaves a sellers hands it's not their fault. People here seem real quick to file a claim/return stuff for things that out of the sellers control. Profit margin on vinyl (if your buying from a label or distro) is incredibly thin. Getting claims or asking for refunds after a couple weeks, or because it took a weird detour while going to it's destination (which happens all the time. Not rare at all to see a record that's headed to China or something to land in a couple other countries on the way due to postal errors) but 9/10 they arrive, a lot of times after a refund has been given. Sucks to see in another thread people proud of returning 50% of their purchases due to it not being 101% perfect, or returning to second hand sellers over a known manufacturing defect, or something incredibly benign. I've never had an actual claim, if someone ask for a refund because of it taking too long. I just automatically give em one and blacklist em from ever ordering again. People don't wait long enough. It cost 21 bucks now to send a record overseas, that's a lot of money to refund someone (not even including the actual record) because it might be taking too long. International mail is always weird.

Somebody in another thread boasted about returning around 50% of their purchases. I think that seems a little OCD. I've never had a claim or had to do a refund based on condition, but frankly I'd be terrified to sell to someone on the forums, knowing I may have a 50/50 chance of having to give a refund. People should calm down and enjoy the music unless you're talking of some super expensive record, or a record that's obviously the sellers fault that it is damaged. Have some sort of compassion that sellers can't control the post office.

Didn't mean to go on a tangent but sellers are actual people also. Catering to the needs of people that get mad over a hair stuck in a piece of tape on the package or a barely noticible ding is really a major setback for good stores/sellers/labels/distro's. Hard enough surviving (if you do this for a living) to eat the cost of records over benign things, or because there is no patience. Most sellers are not out to rip people off, if there is minor ding on a 20 dollar record, just live with it. If you have to wait an extra couple weeks because the post office made an error, just be patient. Overzealous refunds and complaints take all the fun out of it. Amazon may take back endless records that are returned to em, but a lot of times they send em back to distributor as "damaged". Even if the buyers complaint is something like it's too quiet, not enough dynamic range, or whatever. Kinda get's to a point of insanity.

Gumboo likes this.
  19. jhdave

jhdave Member

10 days for an international package. It almost always takes longer than that (even if the post office doesn't screw up) I'd wait a couple more weeks for sure.

20. jhdave

jhdave Member

Why beef with the seller. They sent to the correct country, it's only been 10 days at this point, and it's not the sellers fault. Patience is underrated.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk. It just really causes companies to lose a ton of money, and in turn have to raise the prices of records to compensate. I'd be interested to see the restaurant tipping policies of a lot of people on here.

21. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

As I understand from the above posts, after initially failing to respond to the mook's emails it seems the seller has also failed to take responsibility for the issue - the contract for transit is between him and the Royal Mail. Mook shouldn't be the one contacting RM to find out what's happened.

By all means wait 2-4 weeks for international deliveries but when it's been established that things have gone dreadfully awry, as in this case, in my experience I wouldn't be holding my breath for anything to turn up this side of christmas, let alone next year.

Nobody really tips much in the UK, we expect the restaurant owner to pay their wages.

yookmook and Lost In The Flood like this.
  22. jhdave

jhdave Member

at least 4 weeks. Customs sucks, international shipping sucks. Just not worth it anymore.

The tip procedure is different in a lot of areas of the world. I was referring in general to to some post in another thread where people were kind of boasting about how often they return their record, and keep returning em until they get the exact pristine 101% perfect copy of it, and how that drives up prices, and is disrespectful. Pressing vinyl in it's very nature is an imperfect process. CD's are the best bet for people that want every copy to be the exactly same pristine condition. I don't know anything about Royal Mail as here in the U.S we have nothing to do with Royal Mail, we deal with USPS. Sorry if I came off grouchy in the earlier post's. I had just gone done reading the other thread where people were returning records so often that even Amazon was blacklisting em. Really had nothing to do with this experience with the 5 or 10 day wait on a record, I think he/she used great judgement and good ole courtesy. Although the seller should have responded to the issue by now. The only real problems I've had with international shipping is it taking forever. after 5 weeks I typically just automatically refunded em to avoid a paypal claim or whatever. Usually the record still arrived though. Way too much hassle to deal with.
    This buyer seems like he/she used great sense and is going about things fine. Sellers should be much communicative though. I like to talk to buyers, usually we're all into music, I find it fascinating to talk to buyers and usually really enjoy the dialogue. :) Can learn a lot by talking with fellow collectors/music fans.

yookmook likes this.
  23. yookmook

finally ,i get my parcel today.
    it's a happy ending.

in general case, it' s take about 9 days from uk to my home.
    this one is about 17 days. but i am happy with it.

i know about intenational shipping duration time but the problem is /
    i check my tracking no. , it was shipped to CHINA.
    so i have to solve the problem quickly.

it's royal mail fault.

but i am lucky because officer at royal mail call center help me, and follow the case.
    he contacted with china post, and solve the problem.

thank you for every comments on my case.

jhdave and Gumboo like this.
  24. jhdave

jhdave Member

Good to hear! :)

yookmook likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.