An Observation on the Vinyl Resurgence

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, Jun 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

Acme (where I had to dodge cyclists) and Bullseye (where I was shocked to find a parking spot).

2. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Being in my sixties (and of the 60's) I love this generation's embracing of vinyl.
    They are helping to fuel this whole thing and seem to have a real appreciation of LP's and not in an ironic way.
    Prices have gone up but so has selection and availability.

If it wasn't for them it would just be us creepy old guys prowling the aisles.
    Now if I could only get away with that porkpie hat thing, looks silly on me ...

e.s., Mazzy and Rodz42 like this.
  3. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

That's why God made Google.

4. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

This forum has made me kind of paranoid that whenever I'm in a record store all the middle-aged men I see are silently judging me.

WillieDaPimp, e.s., theMess and 6 others like this.
  5. SomedayMan

SomedayMan Active Member

And they'll realize their tastes are just as conservative and boring as hipsters if not more so.

ARK likes this.
  6. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

And I was told Armor All was good for vinyl! Gices it a nice shine!

7. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

whose is to say this guy isn't being tongue in cheek

then again lime green jacket and hat

8. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

That made me laugh! I literally progressed from Sesame Street on a Fisher Price record player in the late 70s.

To your point though, I am excited to see young people enjoying records, particularly artists from the 60s, 70s and 80s. I had a yard sale a few weeks ago and a 13 or 14-year-old kid came up looking for The Who and Eagles records (I wasn't selling). If kids of that generation are interested, at least it means there will still be a market for all our classic rock titles for a few more years. I just advised him not to play any good records on a Crossley. :p

9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

dear sister, what you got to play your fuzzy warbels on?

RHCD likes this.
  10. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I kinda feel like I live at "hipster" ground zero. I guess it's us or Portland or maybe Denver. I'm probably a little too old to fit that label myself.

The music taste in my city is extremely complex. It's everything from Amon Duul II to Fela Kuti to Sharon Jones to Floyd. I have learned a LOT about underground and short run records just hanging out and having conversations. The knowledge of vintage psych is endless. I dunno. Pretty musically cosmopolitan crowd. YMMV

e.s. likes this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Ah I see. Yeah I was speaking in general terms, so I yes I agree not all will see a price increase.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Ah yes but were they extra long so you had to roll them up? :)

13. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

The kids are alright. I'm sure some old fart (like me) was scoffing at my music taste when I was in my teens. Hell, I now scoff at my music tastes when I was in my teens.

Gaslight and MikeInFla like this.
  14. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

Oh yeah man! In fact, I will throw in a Beta tape with every Criterion disc they buy! ;);)

15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

some of those reader's digest country box sets are killer

16. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

All brands of jeans are too long for me because I'm such a short-a r s e :( Honestly, what choice do you have these days - the time when everyone wore boot-cut jeans now seems like a by-gone era, I can't remember the last time I saw anyone in London wearing boot-cut jeans.

Getting back to the vinyl resurgence, this reminds of the time 2 or 3 years ago when I tried to 'donate' a spare copy of Fleetwood Mac, Rumors, to my local record shop. I just wanted to give it to him, I didn't want him to sell it for me, but he dismissed the offer out of hand - "No thanks, I got Rumors coming out my ears!" he replied. Wind on 2 years to last week and I was in the shop looking through some stuff someone had left him to sell - I found a copy of Rumors so remembering that incident I held it up and groaned, "look what this guy left you". Immediately his eyes lit up - "where? Pass it over, I've completely run out of Rumors, they're selling like hot cakes!"

How times have changed.

eddiel likes this.
  17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

lol. I was talking to a local record shop last year around mid Nov and he said he used to have a crate of them and now they were almost all gone. He couldn't believe it as he had them for years.

18. Rachel

Rachel Active Member

Honestly, I am getting quite tired of all the hipster generalizations around here. I am a 21 year old college student that has gotten very interested in vinyl in the past year. I am not a hipster, though you all put my entire generation into that box. I am working all summer to be able to afford a Dual record player and a nice amp and speakers. I am not doing this to appear cool to my friends (I live in a very conservative town where people think I'm weird for doing this) I'm doing it because I genuinely enjoy doing it. I grew up with a father who was very into music, particularly jazz and 70s rock. We would bond by listening to music together and those two genres are still my favorite kinds of music. Listening to records is one of my favorite things to do and I love the sound and owning a physical copy. It gets quite old to be on this forum when everyone your age is labeled as a hipster (some of the most annoying people ever) and completely oblivious to good music. If this is a hobby you are truly passionate about, perhaps you should be encouraging the next generation to continue it instead of constantly bashing their interests.

19. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

:-popcorn:

the beave

cc-- likes this.
  20. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Ah, I've gotta try those next! I was at Rush-Mor and Exclusive Co.

21. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Shh! Don't tell them! We can still collect a lot of great jazz music for next to nothing!

22. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

:righton:, you just keep doing your own thing, listen and buy what you like.

Shak Cohen, Rachel and ARK like this.
  23. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

You sure hit the "Bullseye" when you said you were shocked to find a parking spot there. :D

I usually have to walk a distance or illegally park.:cop:

24. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Yesterday a hipster told me "I have to buy a vinyl reader as soon as I can".

havenz likes this.
  25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I still find Living Stereo/Living Presence titles for a $1.Better still, I find Philips Netherlands pressings and "Golden Imports" in $1 bins., sometimes seemingly unplayed. I have also yet to find "hipsters" collecting LPs. Most people interested in LPs are around my age, disqualifying them from hipsterism.

mooseman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.