Money Order Scams - Should I worry?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by adamdube, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

It doesn't exactly clear at that moment. Aren't money orders like checks. There is no immediate clearance.
    You are thinking that if the PO accepts the MO that it means it clears right at that moment.
    I don't think that is the case.

That is why I would wait a few days after I cash the MO before I ship the item.
    I know you want to save a trip.
    I would cash it at my local bank, and then wait a few days to make sure it clears.

Also, not sure if I'm comfortable with shipping to a different address.

Darryl

2. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies.....I am going to wait a few days and ship it to him directly. I have the cash from the post office and finding packing material will be a day or so anyway.

Thanks for all the advice. Greatly appreciated

Vinyl Addict, ggergm and MonkeyLizard like this.
  3. adamdube

Well, the table was shipped, delivered, and signed for. The buyer has it all unpacked and has verified it arrived in perfect shape. He is happy, as am I.

Now off to find something simple to use at work.....maybe. It's nice to have some desk space now!

ARK, Vinyl Addict and MonkeyLizard like this.
  4. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

it's been about 3 weeks and we haven't heard different so I assume everything turned out OK

sounded suspicious to me
    glad I was wrong

5. adamdube

Yup, suspicious for sure. The sale ad was basically dead, a few tire kickers. and then this guy was basically full price. But, in the end, he got the table he wanted and I have some more $$ to futz with the HW-19. Hmmmmm, turns out @Sparkler ended up with some of this $$.

Thanks all for the help and words of wisdom

6. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Just goes to show that not every deal on the internet is a scam. It's of course good to trust your gut and do your due diligence ... but at some point you have to trust someone at sometime.

7. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I once sold an item where my ad clearly called for a USPS MO only. I got a MO from some drug store, notified the buyer I need the USPS MO and then received a few e-mails begging for me to send the item, assuring me the first MO was legit. It probably was but I didn't send his package until I was satisfied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.