The Who to release 1982 Shea Concert

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musicdav24, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Turmatic and J_D__ like this.
  2. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks for heads up.

I forget if we already discussed this in this thread (my head is still spinning trying to figure out some of the options for the new Stones stuff coming out and that confusion is carrying over in my brain to this thread!), but has it been decided for sure that this is only coming out as a video (DVD or bluray) and not also as CD or CD/DVD, or CD/bluray?

4. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

should be here on Monday.
    Possibly something else that could/should have been an extra.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Sorry, can't watch a whole concert with New Wave/MTV Pete.

markbrow likes this.
  6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Quadboy likes this.
  7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

8. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

my dvd arrived today.
    flicking through the first tracks to something I thought I would enjoy.......The Quiet One.
    JAE's vocals are barely audible on the stereo track/option.

9. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Forget what I said above.
    I will have to get my TV audio leads [or ears] checked!

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

^ Clear enough to see the smoke in Pete's mouth.

I'm picking up the blu Ray on Tuesday. Any audience shot of the stage crowd right side will be a selfie...I'm there somewhere..

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Sean, misko, Who'sTommy and 2 others like this.
  11. misko

misko Forum Resident

Shea 1982 just arrived along with The Stones Marquee BluRay/Cd set. Gonna be a good night.

footlooseman likes this.
  12. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I was at that same show, but the lines outside were so long I missed T Bone, which made me mad because this was a dream bill for me. It's the only time I ever saw the Clash, unfortunately.

13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

FYI- Best Buy will price match Amazon. I paid $14.99 for the blu ray @ best buy today.

dee likes this.
  14. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

You were a T-Bone Burnett fan in 1982? That's some forethought. I was at that show and don't remember a thing about his set. I did buy Proof Through the Night a couple years later. Great album.

15. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Yeah, I was. Amazingly, I jumped on early -- I was a big fan of Truth Decay and during the '82 tour with the Who his "Trap Door" EP was constantly on my turntable. I still have it!

16. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I was a fan of T Bone too and very happy I wasn't getting David Johansen as an opener although as the 2nd October Rosemont show was my first Who show it was all about seeing Pete, John & Roger. Sadly Burnett spend most of his time dodging batteries & quarters that were thrown at him during his set.

17. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Kinda like when Prince opened for the Stones?

18. dee

dee Senior Member

The few '82 concerts I've seen I find minutes go by and songs float by and Pete visibly looks drfting and weak physically to me. Like he's running on fumes, doesn't have his strength about him, and perhaps was both tired and maybe was not far out enough from recovery. Even when he is dancing all over the stage it seems to me like he might fall over any second. His vocals as they do here at Shea seem similarly tuneless and limp. Sometimes he awakes and focuses and then he drifts away again. When he's able to lock in his playing sounds creative and inspired. Shea has all these moments. His solo in Drowned is on the plus side. His vocals throughout sound like a man who is tired and has all he can do to sing at tines. Part disinterest, part pacing hinself for long shows, and part not being in road or stage shape, imo, and just not looking all that strong. Much to observe and listen to more in detail because despite all the above I find good things and enjoyment in surprising bits and pieces and the lead vocals are often spot on and John's new songs are a highlight etc.

Rog's vocals are mixed up or forward and seem most present of everything. Too much so imo. Wish the bass guitar was just a bit more up front.

Fullbug and WhoTapes1 like this.
  19. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

An 82 show wouldn't be my first choice.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  20. misko

misko Forum Resident

I made it on the Camden 2002 boot DVD. I was in the pit right in front of Roger.

reb likes this.
  21. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I also remember that Mick Ronson was part of T-Bone's band and that the sound was awful for his set. Fortunately, it improved for the Clash and the Who. This was the only time I saw the Clash too. My only Who show too, until I see them in September.

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

A release from the 2000 tour is the only era that truly would interest me post 1982.

Carserguev likes this.
  23. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I've posted this before, but when they did the Pepsi Center here in Denver in 2000 Townshend liked the show so much he immediately posted it online for free. I've got it somewhere and I'm sure it's circulating on the web.

Bonddm likes this.
  24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Thanks for the info, I have not seen that show. However, I do own a few boots from the 2000 tour that are quite good. The officially released Royal Albert Hall 2000 has its moments, despite the use of guest artists. Worth picking up for the pro shot quality - imo

Dave Hoos and Carserguev like this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I would probably acquire this if there was an audio version; it is hard to imagine I will find a couple of hours of time to sit and watch a Who concert from '82 (even as much as I enjoy aspects of that era). I haven't even picked up the Houston '75 dvd yet; I just don't prefer watching footage on a consistent basis.

csnfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.