Was Al Jardine's voice under-utilized?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chronic kebab, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc Bessette

Marc Bessette The King of Somewhere Cold

Ahhhh I love it.. Glad that you pee'd him off. Did he hit you with his mikestand? That's all he seems to do onstage:adjust his mikestand

oldsurferdude and Kermit27 like this.
  2. Kermit27

Kermit27 Forum Resident

Hey, be fair...... He claps too!

oldsurferdude likes this.
  3. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

"I'm a genius too, let's go."

sixelsix and Kermit27 like this.
  4. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I once told Bruce to call me a dirty tramp. He wouldn't do it though. He knew that I was more than a tramp.

5. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

6. lowellmorris

lowellmorris Forum Resident

Friends and Wild Honey are my favorite Beach Boys albums, but I sure wish they had a few leads from Al on them.

entropyfan likes this.
  7. S. P. Honeybunch

Which songs would you like to hear him sing lead on?

8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

On Sunflower? IIRC, he helped Brian write "At My Window" and "Our Sweet Love".

9. S. P. Honeybunch

Bruce has a more sensitive sounding voice that suits "At My Window". Same goes for Carl and "Our Sweet Love".

10. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Bruce Jardine's voice was a wonderful fit for The Beach Boys just as it had been for The Chords some years earlier and Bruce and Terrell as well. Sh-Boom, Do The Surfer Stomp Pts. I and II, Lookin' At Tomorrow, the BBs cover of Come Go With Me with Bral on lead -- all testaments to great voices.

11. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

They were all fantastic singers but I think best vocalists in the Beach Boys were to me as follows:

1. Carl
    2. Brian
    3. Al

4. Bruce
    5. Mike
    6. Dennis

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Yes.
    And it still is. Props to Brian Wilson, whom I get to see in concert tonight. With Al there.

oldsurferdude and supermd like this.
  13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I think that Al's underuse is attributable to Murry's management of the group and his particular promotion and protection of family, of which Al was not. It's no coincidence that, in the wake of Rhonda's chart success with Al as vocalist, when he had the greatest visibility and leverage, he happened to "miss" the cover shot for Summer Days, the album that featured his hit song, with the "flu bug." Outtake images from that day include Bruce, who happened to be on the boat that day and sang on the album and whom I suspect was waiting in the wings to replace Al, who, unlike the Wilsons and cousin Mike, didn't get an ownership share in the group until its hit making days were long over. I'd love to know the story behind this situation. I suspect it parallels that of David Marks, who got pretty well screwed royalty-wise and also never got a vocal on the albums he played on.
    Nice people.

starduster and Aftermath like this.
  14. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Al typically sang what was in many ways the important part in the Beach Boys' vocal blend - the second from the top. He was probably not used as much as a lead vocalist because he already had such a key role.

15. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

Here's my theory on the lead vocal diss spearing acts of Al and Dennis from '65 through 68. With Murry being allowed to interrupt the lead vocalist with drunken obnoxious "advice" every two seconds, it's no wonder Al kept a low profile. So did Carl and Dennis. After "Help Ne Rhonda" Al sings one more lead and the two lines on "I know there's an answer " until almost 3 years later on "Cottonfields". Good voice yes, underutilized, for certain but geez what a freakin nightmare that Rhonda session was. Traumatized poor Al I think! Come to think of it After '65 we don't hear Dennis take a lead again until '68 so he probably got razzlef by Murry too. Or Mike. Plus Carl was suddenly singing like a bird.

16. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I have no bloody clue who Al Jardine is, but the only thing that came to my head was John Deacon's voice was under utilized in Queen.

numer9 likes this.
  17. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

Then why be you here? Either get a clue (pretty easy) or feel free to start a "Was John Deacon's voice under-utilized?" thread.

Lonesurf, BadJack and starduster like this.
  18. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Wow. Somebody needs a :chill:
    :whistle:

After further research, I heard he's from the Beach Boys. I've only heard of Brian Wilson but ok, fair enough. Some more Al Jardine could've been used on Pet Sounds, the only record that sort of interests me from them. Sure. Happy? :p

19. drbeachboy

Yes, sunshine is glowing out of my keester. I just found it odd that you come into a thread about someone to whom you know nothing about, then post about an entirely different person.

starduster likes this.
  20. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

And loosen up. You're flatting.

sixelsix likes this.
  21. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Absolutely. I watched the recent Brian Wilson & Friends special on public TV and never even realized that Al sung lead on "Wouldn't It Be Nice", and also never thought about it being him on "Help Me Rhonda". If he hasn't already done so, Al should put out a solo album.

22. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Fight for success.

sixelsix likes this.
  23. drbeachboy

Brian sang lead on WIBN in the studio. Al has just about always sang it live. Carl & Matt have done it live, as well.

RickH and Kermit27 like this.
  24. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

The basic concept of someone's voice being under-utilized in a band wasn't entirely out of the ball park with my post. But hey I eventually made it a bit more relevant :)

25. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Amazing-myKe luHv fires the guy with one of the best voices in the band. Brilliant move:crazy: by the luHvster who has the nuts to call himself The Beach Boys.:wtf: Really? So damn glad that Al is with The Brian Wilson Band now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.