Have you ever played a record at the wrong speed..and not noticed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mazzy, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

"sign zee papers old man"

"I cannot sign zee papers"

"sign zee papers old man"

"I cannot sign zee papers"

"und vhy can't you sign zee papers"

"because you have broken both of mein hands"

"Hey man he's putting a cigarette out in his eye man, change the channel...."

It's fun to quote Cheech and Chong!

2. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

Yeah I have done that, but I was stoned at the time.

3. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

This Japanese singer named Takako Minekawa (sp?) put out a 7" in the 90's. I kept playing it at 33 and loved it. Fantastic Cat I think the song was called. I couldn't wait for his album to come out. Then the CD came out and it turns out that the singer is a girl and I had played the 7" at the wrong speed the whole time...

4. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I did just this past weekend with Side D of Classic's 2 LP version of Kind Of Blue...I guess subconsciously I didn't want it's speed corrected and ran the other way with it.

Bill

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yes but it wasn't a whole lp, just a 7¨. Played side A and thought it sounded weird. Halfway into side B it hit me. It was a 33rpm 7¨Ep. It was lightning-speed crust punk so it just sounded faster yet and in a different key. It didn't state the speed anywhere on the disc or sleeve/cover/insert:realmad:

6. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Yes, perhaps a Chipmunks record years ago...

7. zen

zen Senior Member

Once. It was Sibelius' Symphony no. 4 ....and it sounded pretty natural at 45 rpm.

8. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

On a whim I bought Mogwai's The Hawk is Howling. I liked the band's name and I've always liked instrumental music. The first time I put the album on I accidentally played it at 45 rpm. I thought it was this wild synthesizer music. Then I realized my mistake. At 33 rpm the music transformed into this plodding, somber guitar rock. I liked it better at 45 rpm.

9. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

The B side of Dale & Grace's "I'm Leaving It All Up To You", "I'm Not Free".
    Another case of sounds better at the wrong speed.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

When I got the 12" of Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart" there was no indication it was a 45rpm single, so I played it at 33rpm. And I thought "oh, this is really cool and dark." Even at the correct speed I guess it's those things. But moreso at 33 1/3 rpm.

11. Linus

Linus Senior Member

UB40's debut, Signing Off. Bought it the day it came out and played the bonus disc at 45 instead of the correct speed. Thought they were a great Ska band! Once I realized my error I was a little disappointed all their songs were so slow.
    A great album by the way, (yes at the correct speed), boy, did those guys lose it though- Red Red Wine, It Ain't Me Babe, seriously?! Sad, very sad!

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Just this Sunday I put on my Chipmunks Sing the Beatles Hits LP to play it for my daughter. The speed was set at 45, and it took me about 20 seconds to notice. I would have noticed at once if I put on side A which starts with Dave's voice, but I was putting on side 2 and missed it.

Holy Diver likes this.
  13. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

My first copy of Neil Young's "Hawks And Doves" was seriously off center and it took years for me to notice that the effect was not intentional. I thought it was just another one of Neil's "quirky" records. :)

14. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

The Orb "Metallic Spheres." I kept switching back and forth between the two speeds until I thought it sounded right!

15. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

I literally just did this with Toe, a japanese mostly instrumental post rock band. It was a 10", which often confuses me if not explicitly labeled. Sounds great at both speeds actually.

16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I had a few too many cocktails and played the entire Blade Runner soundtrack too slow. I still don't know how I pulled that one off.

17. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

My first memory of this was in 1976 (I was 8 years old) playing the b-side of the Rocky theme 45 by Bill Conti. The track was called "Reflections" and as it was playing I thought it was taking a REALLY long time to finish! DUH! I had it on 33 and it sounded fantastic! I never wanted to hear it at 45 rpm again!

18. Matadorman

Matadorman Forum Resident

Lee Aaron's "Barely Holding on" was played at 33.333 when it should have been 45 rpm, I thought it sounded great. You kind of get the effect by slowing down the youtube video.

19. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

If you play the single "Here You Come Again" at 33 it sounds like Aaron Neville.
    Can't remember the name of the guy that did the collage/plunderphonics 'duet' of a male sounding Dolly (Slowed down.) and a sped up and normal speed Dolly. It's quite good!

20. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

I made a similar kind of mistake a few years ago when I accidentally played Van Halen I at 45RPM, and thought it sounded like Rush.

So is Rush Van Halen sped up, or is Van Halen Rush slowed down? :laugh:

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  21. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

I had a malfunctioning turntable in the late 80's (played albums too fast, though not quite 45 RPM) and through that preferred several songs that were lifted a key or two higher; "All That Heaven Will Allow" by Springsteen was given a Buddy Holly vibe, and two unknown album cuts, "Victory" by Jay & the Techniques from their "Apples Peaches Pumpkin Pie" LP and "Bounty On My Table" by Ramatam (with guitarist April Lawton) both just screamed "hit single" to me. Same went for Tony Clarke's 1964 record "The Entertainer" & Tom Petty's "King's Road" from "Hard Promises". No wonder this process was uncovered to be used for Fats Domino's records in the 50's.

22. In 1999, a not so experienced trombonist who played in the same symphony orchestra I used to play back then called me once for a question. He sounded really worried. The conversation went like this:

- Hey man, I need your help. Do you have some free time right now?
    - Sure!
    - We are going to play Sibelius' "Finlandia", right?
    - Aha.
    - I have my part in front of me and I'm following it with the record. And let me tell you: I can't believe someone is actually able to play it. There are some extremely fast triple tonguing parts. I don't think I will be able to play that thing.
    - Really? Maybe I haven't paid enough attention to the trombone parts, but I don't remember hearing anything "impossible" on "Finlandia".
    - I have the record here. Do yo want to hear what I'm talking about?
    - OK

(Listening through the phone. A few seconds later...)

- That's it. What do you think?
    - Look: You have your record player in front of you, right?
    - Yes.
    - Most likely to the bottom left side, there's a lever with "33" and "45" marks below it. Move it to the "33" position.

I could hear through the phone both the record slowing down to normal speed and my friend's deep sigh of relief.

23. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I listened to Butthole Surfers - Live PCPPEP quite a number of times at 33 1/3 rpm. (I thought it was an LP.)

One day I saw the speed somewhere on it and it said 45 rpm. Surprised me! I tried it at 45 rpm and it didn't sound right to me.

Played it at 33 1/3 from then on.

jupiterboy likes this.
  24. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

John Cage's 4'33'' is a whole new experience at the wrong speed. The downside: It's not exactly 4'33'' anymore. :D

25. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

I understand that if you play a Kylie Minouge single at 33rpm they sound just like Rick Astley!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.