Pearl Jam ten on vinyl, which one to get?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phono Groove, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have chance to get either the Simply Vinyl limited edition reissue, the original US pressing or the Holland Pressing. Which one would you guys suggest as being better sounding? Thanks!

2. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Don't know but the "original US" was not released until several years after--though it is the only one with which the band may have had any involvement. Does anyone know for sure when it came out? I think it may have been released in concert with Vitalogy, which came out on vinyl before cd. Anyway, the Holland is the "original"--the only one you could get when the record was released.

Couldn't tell you how they compare.

3. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

I had the European - which I guess was the Holland one - years ago and thought it sounded worse than the US CD.

4. Kubrick

Kubrick Forum Resident

I own the original US pressing, purchased sometime after it's post Vs. release and it was ok from what I remember,...but honestly I haven't given it a spin since the remixed version was released...Though I'm normally against remixing, the '90s sound of the original mix is somewhat tamed and the vinyl version sounds so much better than the compressed cd version.

5. Corey Louis

Corey Louis Active Member

After having the reissue LP (from the 2LP set) for awhile and the original CD, I on a whim ordered an original Korean pressing from 1991, it is well... outstanding, sounds better the louder you turn it up, I finally feel like I know what this recording actually sounds like

6. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

+1. I had a copy of the Holland vinyl and I thought it was awful. Just completely lifeless.

pauleyh likes this.
  7. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

You're one of the very few people I've come across who actually realizes that there was no Ten on domestic vinyl until 1994!

It was released right around the time of Vitalogy, yes. There was a little MTV news clip with Kurt Loder that mentioned this (probably talked about both releases), and he specifically quoted Jeff Ament talking about how he "...was one of those people left out of the loop" when vinyl was sent the barbecue pit in 1990-1991. Maybe it's somewhere out there on YouTube, who knows?

Vs. was the first Pearl Jam album to come out on vinyl in America - pretty sure that was released a week before the tape/cd, just like Vitalogy.

hi_watt likes this.
  8. Dave Calarco

Dave Calarco Forum Resident

discogs lists a 1991 US pressing by Epic Associated. What's that all about?

9. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Hard to trust the dates on discogs as most people just list copyright dates or whenever the record was first released.

10. Dave Calarco

Dave Calarco Forum Resident

so there was no 1991 pressing? Do I assume if it's listed as 1991 that it's really 94?

Is Z 47857 the pressing I am looking for?

11. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

That's the right pressing. The bar code is 7464 47857-1. The copyright info printed on the sleeve says 1991, hence the confusion... But the release wasn't until 1994, same day as Vitalogy (I think).

I personally think this pressing sounds fantastic. Based on all the negative reaction towards the original Dutch release, I'm guessing that one was done quickly and without much care... Then in 1994, when PJ had much more clout, they used the U.S. issue as a good excuse to improve the mastering.

Not sure if the UK is the same mastering as Holland, or a different one altogether.

GentleSenator likes this.
  12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Yes. My US original is hands-down the best sounding PJ LP that I own. It's nothing fancy in terms of packaging, but man the vinyl has some serious body.

Aftermath likes this.
  13. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

We're all Ten vinyl editions held till 1994, or was it just the US version?

14. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Pretty sure the Holland press was 1991.
    Discogs also lists some other pressings, but I'm not sure how confident I'd feel buying an OP from Brazil or Greece.

15. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Yes, Yes, & Yes.

They aren't cheap though, unfortunately.

Dave Calarco likes this.
  16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I've got a 1992 Korean Epic pressing of this one the way. I will report back in around one month on the sound quality. I did read a few positive comments on this so I definitely hope it beats the original Holland release but we will see.

17. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I remember seeing "Ten" and "Nevermind" on vinyl side by side on the shelves in the local record stores back in September 1991. I did not buy "Ten" on vinyl back in 91, I waited a couple of years when I, as it seems, luckily bought the US release instead. This is the only version I've of this album and IMHO it sounds great.

18. crassus515

crassus515 Forum Resident

I can vouch for the '94 US as well. Lot of dynamics there on my system. Very crankable. The more recent Redux version was an interesting listen, but even if I did like that remix better it had too little dynamics in comparison. The US original is my go to. Same for Vs and Vitalogy

MedozK likes this.
  19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

We all would have been a lot smarter to buy these when vinyl was dying out in the early 90's. Oh well, better late than never! :)

GyroSE likes this.
  20. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

It was such a tease having a bright shiny copy in my hands but then realizing it was warped and causing songs to skip! Ugggggggh! I don't own a Vinyl Flat but it would have come in handy there. It's getting to the point where it is worth the $200 investment to revive a large section of warped records (many of them purchased new).

21. IEAIAIO

IEAIAIO New Member

Anyone know if there is a colored vinyl version of the original US pressing of Ten? I have a sealed copy of the 0-7464-47857-1 issue that has a sticker on the back of it that says colored vinyl. I don't care to open it, but I wonder if it was mislabeled by the vendor or record shop employee. I can't imagine why anyone would have bothered to try to falsely advertise it as colored back in 94' when nobody would have coveted it as a collectors item at the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

22. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Even 500 miles to your north it smells like a bootleg to me. Look for the packaging and print work to be shoddy.

hi_watt, Aftermath and JasonA like this.
  23. IEAIAIO

IEAIAIO New Member

24. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

The original pressings were on black vinyl only. Here in recent years lots of bootlegs on colored vinyl have been coming from Europe.

25. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

Got an original U.S pressing framed, i bought it and Ride the lightning both framed unsighted,
    I think i paid $110 for both.

I didn't actually know if they were real records in the frames, i only had a picture to go buy and i bought them from someone interstate, got my mum to pick them up (that was about 18 months ago) i still haven't actually seen them in the flesh.
    Good to hear that the U.S pressing is the best, it won't be staying in the frame once i get my hands on it, records are made to be played.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.