Definitive Sgt Peppers LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chooke, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident Thread Starter

Firstly I apologise if this has been done before.

I'm curious as to the consensus among the vinylphiles which Sg Peppers release is the best sonic wise?

I have a mid 70s pressing which sounds ok and the MFSL remaster which sounds clearer but more smiley faced. My brother has the "Blue Box" collection (90's I think) which to me sounds better than the mid 70s pressing and I have heard an original OBI Japanese red wax which sounded the best of all of these but had too much surface noise (not sure if that is typical).

I know these things can be largely subjective but is there a version which is a clear favourite?

2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

No.

I think you could save yourself a huge amount of time and money by just getting the 2014 mono reissue. Most around here will say the mono is the way to go on this one and the reissue is very true to the original. Plus it's all analog.

I happen to prefer the stereo (though I have the 2014 mono box) and a Parlophone/EMI One Box stereo with a ~1 matrix is a very nice one to have -- it's a tube cut -- and it won't cost as much as a Y/B Parlophone stereo original.

There are several good sounding UK Parlophone/EMI two-box 70s stereo presses as well.

I used to like the 1982 Japan Toshiba red vinyl mono reissues, but changed my mind.
    A lot of people think highly of the UK '82 mono reissue. I couldn't get very excited about it.

Some people like the GER blue Odeon label stereo issue, but I found it way too bass heavy.

MFSLs aren't very well liked around here.

I'd be willing to bet a AU stereo Parlophone original sounds good if you could find one. I have a 60s AU Parlophone Hollies LP that sounds just as good as the UK issue.

3. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I do not have a lot of experience with the many different pressings, but I know the mono in the recent mono remasters set sounds fantastic. They were done from an all analog chain, so if you have not heard it give it a try. Relatively cheap and very good sounding. Probably not "definitive" from a historical or collector point of view though.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Chooke

Cheers, yes sonic wise opinions rather than historical or collector value. I haven't heard any of the mono remasters - I find mono hard to get into, but I'll give it a listen in the near future.

5. Chooke

Thanks for the feedback.

I think that is what I have. I thought it was a 70s press (not sure) but it definitely has Parlophone on the label and "Made in Australia" on the dead wax.

6. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

The recent reissue clobbers the few capitols and parlophones I have.

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Robert C likes this.
  8. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

When I got on a kick to find the best Sgt. Pepper my search of threads on the forum lead me to this stereo German pressing which I think is wonderful:

Logos on the Back Sleeve:
    Capitol / EMI Electrola

Catalog Number: GEMA 1C 072-04 177

Side One Label: 1c 072-04 177 / YEX 637

Side One Matrix:

04 177 A-1

This is stamped practically at the label's edge
    There is more stamped but scratched out and illegible on the opposite edge.

Side Two Label: 1C 072-04 177 / YEX 638

Side Two Matrix:

04 177 B-1

SH 2E 401 E-3

These are also practically at the label's edge.

I bought mine via Discogs from Germany for around $45 in near mint condition.

goat65cars likes this.
  9. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

10. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

They aint going to tell you that Louis! Just shut up ask no questions and stump up the $500!!
    Or not. I suggest not.
    I havent heard their infamous "hot stamper", but Im prepared to pay you $500 if you get the recent mono re issue and are not blown away by it.
    ..And save yourself $475.00 in the process.
    No need to thank me...
    aww hell, just bring it in and give us a hug, thatll do.

Bill and 1970 like this.
  11. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Nobody knows. Buy one to find out, that's how it works.
    The business model at better records is that whatever the pressing is doesn't matter
    They have played it and compared to dozens of other copies. They sell only fhe best sounding ones,
    if you believe the pitch. Or your money back.

12. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

^ I admit it was a loaded question. Never bought a record from them and likely never will.

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

UK mono original. If you want the best.

14. richarm

richarm Senior Member

I have just about every UK issue of this LP and I have to say the latest re-issues take a lot of beating SQ wise - stereo and mono. Nice to have a yellow and black first pressing but it's not my go-to for playing.

15. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

On the mono box set thread last year the mono did not take a lot of beating if I recall correctly. Many people loved the mono reissue (including myself) and I believe that was the majority of listeners/purchasers. Sure, there were quibbles, but on the whole the mono reissues were considered a success.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Surely that's what he was saying -they're hard to beat?

17. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

The 1978 film OST? I guess not... :shh:

18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

The Hot Stamper of the OST. Special July 4 sale: $999.97.
    Step right up.

Jarleboy and Robert C like this.
  19. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I prefer the Stereo for this album.

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Nimbus Supercut is superb, a fantastic example of just how good vinyl can be and dare I say it actually worth the premium it fetches.

21. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

i'm lookingcto pick up a copy - surely there has to be more opinions out there?

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The 2012/2014 pressings aside, the 80's MFSL is very good for low end...but of the "regular", non-audiophile copies I have, the 70's German Apple/Electrola pressing is possibly the best to my ears. I thought the 80's Japanese red-vinyl re-issues (I have one each in stereo and mono) are a bit too high-ended; Mr. Kite in particular has lots of "s" sibilance.

Paranoid Android likes this.
  23. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

The one I bought when it was released.

Paranoid Android likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.