Ludwig Mastered Back In Black

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff56, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

How's it sound compared to side 1? Funny I have a Rush Moving Pictures HW-RL, I actually like the HW side better, now I'm on the hunt for a double Howie :D

2. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

I have an US double RL Monarch pressing with the following dead wax info:
    Side 1: ST-A-804517 - A MASTERDISK RL △ 24799 MR (7) 16018
    Side 2: ST-A-804518 - A MO MASTERDISK RL △ 24799 X (3) MR 16018
    All hand etched; MASTERDISK machine stamped.
    Due to -A/-A it is a very early (maybe first) pressing I think...
    It plays awesome!

marcfeld69 likes this.
  3. c-eling

Also those who have this album, check it for translucency, my double RL is a purple/amber color

marcfeld69 likes this.
  4. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

It could just be down to the cart/phono stage used adding the extra warmth/punch. I also have a UK A1/B1 Strawberry mastering which sounds nearly as good as the US RL.

c-eling likes this.
  5. c-eling

Good possibility Neilson, If I run into a Canadian press at my local thrift i'll be sure to grab it :cheers:

Neilson77 likes this.
  6. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Can somebody clear up a newbie question for me?

I totally don't understand how one side of a record is RL and another is not. Were the different album sides mastered by different people?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Is there much of a difference in sound quality between the various lacquer codes/cuts? Mines an A lacquer Side 1 and B lacquer Side 2.

8. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Whats the best sounding lacquer code/cut? Do u have an EX or better condition promo? Would be interested in buying!

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

FYI, a few people opined on this earlier in the thread.

10. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

That's strange about the "A" being crossed out and replaced with a "C". The one I just acquired today is:

Side 1: ST-A - 804517 - AC (the "A") being crossed out, followed by typed Masterdisk and then "RL" and "SP" 0-1

Side 2: 0-2SM2-2 ST-A - 804518-B, followed by typed Masterdisk and then "RL" and "SP"

Everything is handwritten on both sides except for the "Masterdisk" stamp (which is on both sides).

11. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

I've stated before, the UK 1st press A1/B1 is very close to the RL, cut nice and hot!

boboquisp likes this.
  12. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

My local record store just got in a few thousand records. Dug through the boxes for a few hours and low and behold, this gem appeared for $7. Double RL mastering in fantastic condition. I always liked AC/DC but never loved them. I was into heavier music in the 80s. But damn, this thing rocks! Then again, almost everything Bob touches turns to gold.

c-eling likes this.
  13. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

The non-RL side of my new BIB is very hot, as good as if not better than the RL side. Same script in matrix. I hope it's not just the loudness button. :confused: My older scraped-up one is out the door even though it's a double-RL.

14. marcfeld69

Can anyone say which part of the matrix the -A or -B is in; I have a -D but there is also a B further along. It sounds as good as another RL copy with -A (after the STA-804517). The (what I think is -D) one has AR on the label, whereas the -B is an SP.

15. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

The Japan for Australia Albert CD of Back In Black is the best I will probably ever hear.

16. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

I believe I have the same -D release you're referring to, and would venture a guess that the -A (bolded/underlined for emphasis) should be part of the matrix appearing in the deadwax after ST-A-804517-A rather than the B-15195 further along there. Strangely enough, according to Discogs, this ST-A-804517-AR (label code) version, which indicates a pressing from Allied Records, doesn't have a -B or -C deadwax "variant" and apparently goes straight to -D:

https://www.discogs.com/ACDC-Back-In-Black/release/4450885

Not sure which pressing of Back in Black is the best overall, but thankfully there appear to be several very good (and relatively inexpensive) releases to choose from. For the record, I also think my "variant 2" or "-D" (whichever you prefer) sounds pretty good, and am intrigued by your report that it compares favorably to your other -A copy, which given the "SP" label code you indicated, I suspect is one of these "Specialty Records" presses:

https://www.discogs.com/ACDC-Back-In-Black/release/556030

Hope this helps! :wave:

marcfeld69 likes this.
  17. marcfeld69

Hey, skidslimit. I only just saw your reply. I don't think I got or saw the alert and I actually just posted this again on another thread I was so frustrated. I guess what you say is kind of good news. I couldn't say which sounds better, but they do both sound great, to be honest. Will have to keep looking into this!

Btw, is 'Specialty Records' a good thing?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  18. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

I was wondering if the Monarch pressing is superior to the Speciality. Anyone?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  19. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Found a minty one many years ago for a buck or two. Shakes the walls for sure.

KeninDC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.