RIP Jack Carter

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by FredV, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/29/comedian-jack-carter-dies-93

I have wonderful memories of seeing Jack Carter while in the audience for the $10,000 Pyramid when it was taped at the Ed Sullivan Theatre in the mid-1970's. It was hosted by Dick Clark. I first met Soupy Sales at one of the tapings too.

A moment that will always stand out for me was after one of the tapings and there was a big snow storm in New York. I and a few other fans used to hang out by the stage door of the Sullivan Theatre to say hello to Dick Clark and the other celebrity guests when they left after the show. It was snowing hard that day and getting colder while I and a few fans were waiting. Suddenly, the stage door swung open and standing in the doorway were Dick Clark and Jack Carter. They looked at us and said, "What are you guys doing out there? It's freezing! Come inside and warm up!". Clark and Carter held the door open for us and invited us in to get warm.

I couldn't believe it, I was standing in the same area that the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Davy Jones and many other great stars have gone through. Dick Clark and Jack Carter were so kind and they answered questions that we asked and signed autographs, with Jack joking and warming us up with laughter.

Thank you Jack Carter and Dick Clark for your kindness and for giving me a memory that I will always cherish.

God bless you both.

2. John54

John54 Senior Member

That's a great story! I'm not the biggest TV watcher but I know the name. I have a feeling he was a panelist on The Game Game, the psychology-themed, Jim MacKrell-hosted game show that I did watch religiously in 1969-70. Rest in peace.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Last seen on Parks and Recreation, I believe. Played Gus the shoeshine guy who Andy replaced. RIP.

5. Myke

No, had you clicked on my link, you'd see that was 6 years ago. He'd done more since then. Remember, you don't own a TV anymore.

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

In my defense, I'm also five years behind on my Netflix viewing. I hear good things about something called Breaking Bad :laugh:

7. Myke

I've never seen it, I gave up TV nearly 2 years ago. Only Blu rays, and DVDs. Data caps make streaming too expensive of a proposition.

8. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

He was 93. He lived a long life. He was a great comedic actor. I was surprised when I saw the thread title.

Great story FredV!

RIP Jack

9. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

10. The last guest on Norm MacDonalds podcast.

RIP

11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Lived a heck of a good life.

RIP Jack!!

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

R.I.P...I have fond memories of him throughout the years...funny guy!

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Jack Carter was a very angry and difficult man, but he was funny on occasion. Noted blogger and Hollywood pundit Mark Evanier wrote an interesting obituary for Carter, noting that the comedian was talented but was also often his own worst enemy:

[​IMG]

http://www.newsfromme.com/2015/06/29/jack-carter-r-i-p/

I think Pat Cooper is another one of these old school comics whose comedy comes from a very, very angry place. He's funny on some level, but backstage he could be a terror.

14. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Always remembered him as the talent show host in "Viva Las Vegas".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.