Ortofon 2M Bronze on Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fr1tsie, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

But those aren't the Black and Bronze are they.
    Again, you said it was the Black and Bronze that clipped, but you seem to be circling around this?

Meh...I'm getting dizzy with this conversation ;)

2. missan

missan Forum Resident

I believe You should find out which ones You should download.

3. Ortofun

If you are implying that the 2 & 9 are the Black and Bronze, why are you not stating as much?

OK, now I see that, why you didn't just point out my error is beyond me!
    Downloading now.............

4. Ortofun

While we are talking clipping, very few of the samples I capture from my system with the bronze show clipping, and the ones that do, do so because of the mastering combined with the fact that I have modded my phono stage for very high gain, higher than any commercial product.

And It's this experience of my own that has me wondering about what you say.

Nearly downloaded :)

5. Ortofun

OK, yeah there is some clipping in those tracks, and now I need to know why :confused: as I very much doubt that the Graham Slee stage has anywhere the gain I have from my phono stage.
    Recording levels is all I can think of.

OK, It's maybe just that the output of the 2M's is higher than the other carts *shrugs* and didn't suit the recording levels.
    I'll see if I can get a better understanding by talking to Fremer, not something I'll post here, just for my own interest, as I trust his experience in these matters.
    It's just myself, but I'm not going to condemn any carts for anomalies that are due to the capture process, and not the fault of the cart.....

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  6. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

I have an NAD 533 (Rega P2 OEM) and recently switched from 2M Red to 2M Bronze. I had the 2M Red checked by 3 different professionsals to ensure proper setup, but it always had IGD and sibilance. Got the 2M Bronze about 4 weeks ago - no more IGD or sibilance!

John Bliss likes this.
  7. missan

missan Forum Resident

You can just listen to the files blindly, that is a good way. But they must be normalized.

8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I hope someone can give me some advice - this seems like the best place to post this.

I was just using a microfibre cloth to clean a record and, clumsily, while moving it anti-clockwise, knocked it into my Ortofon 2M Red stylus, bending it in the process. I them used a screwdriver to try and gently push it back straight, but the stylus fell out of the cartridge.

I've only had this Project Carbon Debut turntable for four months. My questions are:
    1. Is the stylus screwed?
    2. If so, should I bite the bullet and buy an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge or just a Red stylus replacement?
    Thanks. As you can imagine, I'm insanely frustrated at my carelessness!

9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

You could also buy a blue stylus and install it on your cartridge. It will work fine. It's just that you'll have a red "2M" text on the side and a blue stylus assembly, but the cartridge body itself is identical other than the name color on the side.

10. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Thanks. Dreading the thought of the fiddly nature of fitting a stylus, in case I screw it up.

Today's my birthday too! Oh well...

11. Ortofun

Happy birthday :)

12. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

It will slip right in. Should take about 3 seconds to install, but hours to burn in!

Ortofun likes this.
  13. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Happy birthday!

It's just a matter of removing the stylus assembly, which in your case is the entire bright red section. With your fingers, just pull the red section forward and slightly downward. You'll feel slight ridges on the sides where the red part meets the black cartridge body. You might feel a slight resistance at first, but the red part will come off easily. Once you do this once or twice, you'll realize how easy it is.

If you can afford it, I'd definitely install a blue stylus instead of another red. All reports I've read is that the blue is a big step up in sound.

CarterB and Graham like this.
  14. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Thanks. I just removed the red stylus shell before logging on here and it's easy to do. Fitting a new one will be simple. Just made plans to head down to my local hi-fi dealer tomorrow to get a blue replacement. If I'm going to spend £65 on a red one, then I may as well make the most of this opportunity and spend a further £65 for an upgrade.

15. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I have had a 2M Bronze for about 9 months.

It is mated to my 34 year old Thorens TD 160/SME 3009 Series II arm combination.

It sounds superb.

One caution - the stylus guard is very fiddly - I actually managed to snap off the stylus on gthe day I purchased it, after playing 1.5 records!!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Good choice.

17. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Ouch!

Gasman1003 likes this.
  18. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I know!!

I'm not particularly clumsy usually. I could've cried!!

19. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I have a fully broken in 3 month old Ortofon bronze on my Debut TT. I like it a lot. Seems a little lacking in the high end treble department with my entry level preamp, so I think I may get a Cambridge. I light a little high end kick. The bass is outstanding though on the Bronze! Maybe even upgrade to lower capacitance short distance cables also.

mikeyt likes this.
  20. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

So do you use the Bronze with the "accidental" intention of putting a Black Stylus on next time? I've been happily running the Bronze on my Debut Carbon Esprit SB for the last 6 months, use the Rega Fono Mini. I only ran with the 2M Red for 2 months.

John Bliss likes this.
  21. LeonAlopecico

LeonAlopecico Forum Resident

Hi, i know it is been a while since you post this. I wonder if your 2M Bronze still free of IGD issues.

22. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

Yup, still very happy with this cart!

John Bliss and black sheriff like this.
  23. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

No, I think the black is a micro line, right? I have an Audio Technica AT440mLa on my other turntable (Technics SLD1) so wanted something different, warmer. The bronze delivers. No IGD still after almost a year. Pretty happy with it.

24. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The Black is a Shibata stylus.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Where the heck did Felix go? Profile is gone now too. Maybe he's with Waldo?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.