Musical Fidelity M1 Dac or Rega Dac R - which is better?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phono Groove, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident Thread Starter

Im looking at potentially these choices for a DAC , I want to use it in my digital system with a mac mini and b&w speakers, which of these two is a better DAC? Are there any other dac's that outperform them at the same price range?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  2. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I have a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC and love it. Never heard the Rega.

In the last couple of years, there has been an explosion in DAC offerings in the $300 and under range. You will have much to choose from.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I literally just ordered the M1 about an hour ago. I hope that one is better.

the M1 seems to be very well reviewed and I have a Musical Fidelity phono stage that I regard as one of the best upgrades I have made. Reading the specs, it doesn't seem like there is much of a technical difference. the musical fidelity does have balanced XLR's and the rega does not. Everything that I have heard of Musical Fidelity has been impressive and my only experience with Rega is the RP1 and I do not find that to be impressive. I know its apples to oranges but you have to go with something when taking a shot in the dark. And I would guess those that love a Rega DAC also have Rega Turntable that they love, so it goes both ways.

Music direct had the M1 for $499 and the retail is $800. Frankly, I am tired of thinking about it so I just bought the damn thing and if I don't love it I can send it back. It is really impossible to know what they sound like because no stores that I have been in have DAC's to audition. they mostly just sell Pre amps or integrateds that they feel have great internal DACs.

My bigger delema what wether or not to spend the extra $200 to get the Musical Fidelity M1-SDAC. I liked the fact that it has a headphone jack but ultimately I felt it was the same DAC and just had other features that made it a preamp. I don't know if I am right about this conclusion

80sjunkie likes this.
  4. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Funny! I just bought a new silver M1DAC from Music Direct yesterday for $499 as well - figured I couldn't go wrong at that price. Must be something in the air. :)

Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

When the M1-SDAC came out, it was pretty easy to get a used M1 really cheap. I got an Oppo HA-1 but don't like the DAC as much. I primarily use it as a headphone amp for listening to vinyl.

jon9091 likes this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

well they do tease you with it every time you go on their page.

7. psulioninks

Forgot to mention...

It appears that Music Direct has both the older and newer versions of the M1 DAC on their site. The newer "A" version (with asynchronous USB) has the "by Musical Fidelity" quote on the face plate UNDER the M1DAC badge. The older, "Non-A" version, has this verbiage to the right of the badge.

So I would be careful...

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

do you know if it IS the same DAC? If the M1-SDAC is an improved or upgrade as just a DAC I would be willing to pay the extra.

I was looking hard at the Line Magnetic DAC with tubes but at three times the price I didn't feel great about buying it without an audition. There is also a Jolida DAC with Tubes that looked interesting (and cheap) but I don't hear people say many great things about that brand. I am always afraid when the words "cheap" and "tubes" are in the same sentence.

9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I am going to be using the toslink connection so the USB connection didn't come up as a huge advantage for me.

10. psulioninks

If you bought a M1DAC-A, you're covered anyhow. They also improved the power supply in the newer model which is reported to have a very large improvement to the sound. What's funny is Music Direct has demos listed for $599 - I bought a new one for $499 from them. WTF?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

yep, it the "A"

psulioninks likes this.
  12. psulioninks

Nothing to worry about then - you're getting the newer model. If you want to read about both improvements in the new model, here's a follow-up to the original Stereophile review based on the new model: M1DAC-A

13. Phono Groove

Wow $499 that is a deal! Too bad im from Montreal and music direct doesn't ship to Canada i would have bought right now at that price...

psulioninks likes this.
  14. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have the DAC R in an all Rega system, sounds good to me! I never heard the M1.

scottp and russk like this.
  15. psulioninks

Agreed! Almost all the other sellers have it for $799...I think Galen Carol was a little cheaper, maybe $749.

Not to gloat, but that $499 included free shipping as well! :D

Perhaps you can find someone here in the U.S. to nab one for you?

16. Phono Groove

That would be great especially if that person lives near the border - platsburgh or burlington! that would be a 2 hour drive away

17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It is nonsense that they don't ship to Canada

18. Phono Groove

I tried ordering in the past from them, when I did they canceled my order telling me they do not ship to Canada...its a shame because the prices are good

19. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Likely different distributor/importer from the US to Canada...... so it makes sense they would not ship there. Would cause a big issue b/t the 2 if they did.

20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'm wondering how the M1 DAC comapres to the DAC in the M6si?

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I would guess it is exactly the same. Why would musical fidelity use different parts or technology when putting together an integrated amp? sure cost would be a factor but that is a nearly $3,000 amp. It must share parts with the M1.

Do you have the M6si?

22. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

It's on my short list for an integrated...but was thinking about getting a DAC now. Both the Rega and MF were models I was looking at.

23. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I assume it was the same DAC but with an added headphone amp. But I don't know for sure. I got a separate Fiio headphone amp I use with my M1 that I'm happy with so I never looked into it.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

we are in the same boat, the M6si is a compelling option and I was considering that as the DAC upgrade. I am guessing the MF phono stage and now the DAC I have (or will) would be redundant with the M6si. At this point since I have the phono and DAC I would just get a MF amp (perhaps mono blocks). A bit more sloppy but also more flexible.

jon9091 likes this.
  25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Thank you for your order with Music Direct. We apologize however there was a mistake in our inventory and the following item is not in stock:

Musical Fidelity - M1DAC-A (Black)
    Unfortunately, this item is not available. Therefore, we have deleted this item from your order. Please note that you were never charged for this item as we do not charge for orders until they ship. If you have items remaining on your order which have not yet shipped, we will send the remainder of your order. We apologize for the inconvenience.

:cussing:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.