Biro marks on old record sleeves

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Smxx777, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smxx777

Smxx777 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today just bought an EX+ copy of Genesis Trespass UK Pink Scrolll Charisma. It is totally ok, but inside the gatefold sleeve there are some biro marks by previous owner, so it's a pretty nasty feeling, while the record itself is great, the sleeve too, but those biro marks change everything...
    So how do you remove this ****? And do you remove?
    Does such signs worry you? Maybe, most of forum members here doesn't regard biro marks of marker names by previous owners as something nasty.

2. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

It used to be a pet peeve of mine, but now as long as the jacket isn't completely marked up, I'm ok with someone's name or initials if the record is old and/or somewhat hard to come by.

Smxx777 likes this.
  3. Smxx777

So while it was on a copy of fully laminated first pressed White Album - it was ok, cause I can erase this marker every moment. But when it was a huge name written in biro on the unlaminated sleeve of UK mono Wild Honey - it really pissed off.

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Biro = ballpoint pen for USans. It's not coming off and you usually make it worse by trying.

5. Smxx777

There was one time when I sucessfuly removed previous owner's name from sleeve - it was first pressed Hard Day's Night in Ernest J. Day sleeve. So the cardboard was very thick and it removed successfully with erasing rubber.

6. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/biro
    -somebody just might not know what Biro means.

I think it goes without saying that records with the previous owner's name written in anything that results in a permanent marking is a total come down.

Dino likes this.
  7. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I mean, yeah, it all depends. But, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to when I first started collecting. I react to it on a case by case basis.

lightbulb likes this.
  8. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I bought a 2LP on Discogs ( I think VG+/VG+) and when I got it someone's name was written on all 4 record labels and it certainly wasn't mentioned in the description. :mad: I think I paid $20 for it and after sending a friendly note to the seller he refunded me $5. I would have preferred an unwritten on copy....

If I'm buying something for $5 or whatever in a local shop it's not going to bother me so much.

Smxx777 likes this.
  9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I think it's cool to know that before me, Leonard Smith was rockin' out to this Hawkwind record.

10. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

Thanks, I just googled "biro marks" to find out what the OP was talking about!

Huck Caton likes this.
  11. Steve Bromsgrove

Steve Bromsgrove Former Pressing Plant Employee.

Many solvents can shift ink.

The trouble is that you could cause damage to the printing on the sleeve itself. Many solvents are dangerous to handle anyway and are toxic and/or flammable!

Personally I would just leave it and try and get a copy with a better sleeve when you are able.

12. Smxx777

Agree. I bought a copy of UK mono Wild Honey described as "stunning NM in collectable condition". So the record is great, the front laminated sleeve is also great, but on rear.... All timings and owner's name... So I wrote to seller, he offered me to send back the LP but added, that it's ok, it's 48 years old and biro notes are not so nasty and important as I think. So I didn't send it back to him, but most likely I'll try to sell this copy and buy an unmarked one.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  13. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Easily removed from laminated sleeves and for the rest - does it really matter? It doesn't affect playing - which should be the most important thing - and it shows the record has a history. It can even be fun. I could actually trace my Rolling Stones no. 2 copy back to a friend I had in the sixties due to his signature on back cover. I called him and he told me he bought it in Luleå (northern Sweden) at release and then lost it. Then thirty years later it's sold by a US dealer on Ebay and bought by me. The vinyl gods works in mysterious ways :)

The Curator, Daddy Dom, Mal and 7 others like this.
  14. Smxx777

Wow, really nice story!

MONOLOVER likes this.
  15. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

For some people a biro isn't enough. There's no erasing a razor blade!

[​IMG]

16. Smxx777

Oh. Looks really horrible. BTW, what is this LP?

17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

This reminds me - way, way back long ago when people used to lend out records, I used to scribe my initials in the deadwax of my LPs with an X-Acto blade.

18. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Tommy

Fullbug, Mal and Parkertown like this.
  19. Smxx777

So it is the result - why sometimes it's really hard to find the record with clean sleeve.

20. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I think they're kind of interesting. It gives the record a history.

21. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

If the writing is not on a laminated surface, you'll almost certainly cause worse damage trying to remove it.

Most of the time a name or initials don't bother me too much as long as they're disclosed.

Original record shop stickers do not bother me at all. I consider them an integral part of the record.

22. jazz8588

jazz8588 Forum Resident

In the early days teenagers used to write their name on the records when they took them to a party. Didn't stop them getting nicked though:)

23. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yes, I find 45s all the time with address labels on them. In a way, it's kind of neat to find a record that some teenage kid in Detroit stuck an address label on 50 years ago.

24. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

An early-1980s stereo copy of PLEASE PLEASE ME, side 1. He'd only written on the side 2 label....

25. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.