The new Beatles Live in Madrid LP/CD....hoax or no?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tony Jonaitis, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Jonaitis

Tony Jonaitis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looks like the infamous "Live in Madrid" tape is going to surface soon. Pre-orders are available, apparently (read all about it at http://wogew.blogspot.com/). What do ya'll think? ********, or a serious, professionally-recorded show?

AlienRendel likes this.
  2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The version streamed online is a combination of the Paris '65 shows, a song from Tokyo '66, and perhaps other sources (I didn't see the point in IDing each one once it was clear that it was a hoax). The stage patter has been severely trimmed to try to hide the sources. There is another thread on it here somewhere.

3. Tony Jonaitis

Tony Jonaitis Forum Resident Thread Starter

That version was a recently assembled bootleg of "The Madrid Concert"....to cash in on the notoriety of the upcoming release.

4. RayS

I'll believe it when I hear it, and definitely not sooner. The concert also won't be in the public domain in Europe until January 1, 2016 - why would anyone release it illegally before then when they could release it legally thereafter?

5. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I agree. It's a bootleg and probably not what it claims. If it was real it would A). be bought by Apple or B). wait 6 months until 2016 to release it so they don't get sued.

And wouldn't someone have spoken about this before if it was professionally recorded???

6. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I like to be optimistic and naïve. I'm hoping for a legal, good sounding Madrid concert.
    I also hope that the raw, unfutzed Star Club tape sees the light of day some day soon.
    Oh, yeah - and Let It Be is finally released on BluRay with lots of bonus material.

And I'm not trying to be sarcastic here - I really hope for these and think that it could happen! :angel:

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The Beatles Live In Madrid:

It's really a recording surreptitiously done while the Beatles were at dinner. Unfortunately, the microphone was hidden in the lapel of the waiter's jacket, so 99% of the audio consists of the waiter reeling off that day's specials and praising the roast pork and paella in pseudo-English with a Spanish accent, along with him taking the orders (all in Spanish) from the other patrons. Occasionally, there are a few shouts of "Barcelona" by the Fabs, which was strange since they were in Madrid. But this must be the origin of the "Barcelona" screams in "Carnival Of Light".

Yep, I beat Mark Lewisohn in figuring that one out... ;)

8. RayS

9. Arnold Grove

Ahh. Manuel. That gave me a chuckle.

10. keith27012

keith27012 Active Member

I have been hearing about this tape since 1982 when the Spanish journalist who owns it attempted to sell it to Cicadelic Records so i think there is a very good chance its legitimate although i dont know for certain never having heard it but i ordered one to make sure i get a copy in case it gets shut down for legal reasons. The release date is to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the original concert. I dont believe it ever becomes public domain because even if there is no copyright any grey area company still cannot get permission to publish any Lennon McCartney songs in any form just ask the guy who tried to produce a documentary film about the Beatles Washington Coliseum concert and was shut down by Sony. If this release does not encounter legal problems it might open the door to several other similar releases from Sweden, Holland and Germany that are known to exist and are in private collections and have never circulated to most collectors as the owners of these uncirculated tapes are not getting any younger and they cannot take them with them lol

Keith

daveidmarx likes this.
  11. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

12. RayS

I'm with you most of the way here, but if publishing "permission" were a requirement, the Beatles and Dylan public domain releases in the EU would not contain their compositions, but they DO.

13. Arnold Grove

Yes, as Ray says, "permission" is not needed for any of the public domain (PD) releases. However, publishing royalties must still be paid by the issuers of any PD release. That is the only rule that must be adhered to. But if it is a legit company that issues PD material, then they surely will be doing that. Otherwise, they'd be shut down.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  14. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

I am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for this new and exciting release to arrive.
    However, the uploaded sound clips are just the Paris show with intros and outros from elsewhere added.
    Not a good sign so far....

15. Arnold Grove

Si, señor... ;)

hidden1one likes this.
  16. hidden1one

hidden1one Forum Resident

why bother even releasing a package like this with a fake concert on it?.....just seems so pointless

17. Arnold Grove

Si, señor... ;)

hidden1one likes this.
  18. RayS

Insert video clip of old lady on the street during roof top concert

19. Arnold Grove

Si, señor... ;)

20. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yeah it's a fake, a well-known fake. Paris, June 20th 1965 is what it is.

hidden1one likes this.
  21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Could those actually be from Madrid?

22. Arnold Grove

No, señor... ;)

zobalob likes this.
  23. SomedayMan

SomedayMan Active Member

Well, that's the high quality releases we get in the public domain. Makes you wonder why people want things to be in the public domain so bad.

24. hidden1one

hidden1one Forum Resident

it would be way cooler if somebody just did a really nice package for the Paris show itself...unedited, with the proper info...

25. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

I still want Tokyo 1966 on DVD! :realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.