Terminator: Genisys - Arnie is back

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

It'll do around $400 - $450 million worldwide I reckon. Nothing amazing.

2. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member

They said the same thing about Jurassic World, and it's a world-wide hit. Some of these new movies based on "old school" movies can be successful.

driverdrummer and Encuentro like this.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I just saw the previews. Looks good.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, Jurassic World was one I always thought would be a hit -- but more like $120M the first weekend as opposed to $208M:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/15/media/jurassic-world-biggest-us-box-office-opening/

I wasn't the only person who was shocked that the movie didn't just do well, it did incredibly well:

‘Jurassic World’s All-Time Record:
    Why The Town Didn’t See It Coming Until It Happened

http://deadline.com/2015/06/jurassi...ning-record-tracking-social-media-1201443293/

driverdrummer likes this.
  5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Chris Pratt is hot at the moment. Arnie, not so much.

6. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Another PG-13 Terminator again....sigh...:cry::cry::cry:

7. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

...and PG-13 now is tamer than PG was in the 70s and early 80s.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  8. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

True, although the new Terminator movie has received the same rating in my province as the R-rated Mad Max: Fury Road (both carry a flag for "gory scenes" which I felt was unearned for Mad Max).

Very, very slowly the MPAA is starting to take violence more seriously in studio films. I think both Mad Max: Fury Road and Prometheus were kind of skating on the PG13/R border and could have gone either way. Both ended up R.

9. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I remember going to a midnight showing of Prince's Purple Rain movie in 1984. There was a preview for the 1st Terminator movie and I vividly recall the entire audience just busting out laughing it looked so ridiculous. Most thought it was some sort of weird joke. It turned out to be a better movie than Purple Rain, that's for sure.

lbangs likes this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Depends on the reviewer's definition of dull. If it's plot driven and smart rather than pyrotechnics driven and dumb, I'll take it every time.

ssmith3046 and enro99 like this.
  12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

You expect the 4th sequel in a franchise that's been re-booted 3 or 4 times to be plot-driven and smart? If you want plot-driven and smart, go watch Terminator 2. :)

heatherly likes this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've seen all the terminators, with the first two being outstanding, the others...crap. I wasn't prejudging the movie, I just made an observation about a possible motivation behind the review.

Just because it's a 4th sequel means nothing. Look at what Mad Max Fury Road was able to achieve! Furthermore, from the early trailer I saw, it showed some promise and given James Cameron's endorsement of the new film, I have some reason to be optimistic.

14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Honestly the ending of T2 was pretty much perfect: the closing shot of the dark, open road and Sara's monologue. That perfectly ended the series right there, in my opinion, and neither of the two sequels released thus far have justified amending it. From what I've seen of this new one, they're now 0 for 3.

15. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Well, 2 days out and the final trailer has been released for T4, er T5, turns out the previous trailers were just misdirection to build hype:

Actually looks pretty exciting!

Lownote30 and PHILLYQ like this.
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Okay, now I really, really wish that was a real full-length animated feature because I'd totally go see that! :)

17. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Saw it last night... Maybe too long, maybe too much Terminator-throwing-Terminator-through-wall action, but good enough overall. Anyone who is a fan of the 2 original films should enjoy it, but I can't give it a huge recommendation. Just be prepared to go with the flow regarding the shifting time lines and the already-revealed plot twist.

18. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

saw it today! I enjoyed it ! lots of fun!

19. Huck Caton

Huck Caton Well-Known Member

I was on a movie in Morocco when the cast and crew screening happened, so I haven’t seen T5… but I will say Emilia Clarke was a complete pleasure to work with during the LA leg of the picture (which is the only portion I did). The grown ups were all very pumped about the show during production meetings and actual shooting—so I know they have high hopes that Genisys will reinvigorate the franchise.

Whenever we got too deep into the look-terrified-at-a-piece-of-camera-tape-stuck-on-a-century-stand zone, Emilia would haughty remind everyone that she did Triassic Attack, after all—and, hence, knew all about acting to nothing!

Very sweet, unpretentious gal. I hope the picture does well for her sake alone!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    AndrewK, ex_mixer, Deesky and 2 others like this.
  20. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Another surprise. Really enjoyed it.

Jurassic World, I expected nothing and was pleasantly surprised.
    Terminator: Genesis, I was hopeful and wasn't disappointed.

Hey, with Khaleesi and Dr. Who, how could it go wrong?

driverdrummer likes this.
  21. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Local paper gave it 1.5 stars out of 5, I think i'll wait for Redbox for this one. Does Arnie break out of the old folks home and save the world in this one LOL?

22. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Wow, an age-related joke! Never heard those before in this context!

I'm sure that old man could beat the crap out of you any day of the week.

FVDnz, darkmass and keef00 like this.
  23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I will see it sometime between tonight and Sunday night.

24. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I want to see it too, but I think I'll wait until my other Arnold-fanboy friend is free next weekend to do so.

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Good idea! It's always better to see a movie with a friend! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.