Decline of Western Civilization - Finally on DVD and BluRay

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mBen989, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

from 2011:

As for extra features, I can tell you I have tons of footage. I spent years on these movies putting together footage as far as interviews and stuff especially. For instance, the Black Flag interviews you see in Decline 1 are just a small portion of what I actually shot. There will definitely be extra features.

http://www.legendaryrockinterviews....ine-of-western-civilization-and-waynes-world/

I seem to recall her saying something about "hours" of footage in a DVD extra that I watched but I cannot locate the exact source. The question will be if there is still unreleased performance footage following the launch of this package.

psychtrailmix, Cake and 500Homeruns like this.
  2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member Thread Starter

Hey! The poster for the first one went missing.

Here it is again.

[​IMG]

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Probably the only source for stuff from this era will ever be seen in true HD.

4. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

It's kind of annoying that a lot of stuff is coming out lately in "Box Sets" - the Pretty Things doc "Midnight To Six Man" for example, I have waited years for, but it's in the new box set for one hundred some whatever dollars for it... Same with this... I LOVE the first Decline flick, In high school that was like our weekly Friday night partying video... Great doc, massive nostalgic effect for me... I need this, but I don't care so much about the other Decline movies.....

A. Scrounger and 500Homeruns like this.
  5. psychtrailmix

I first got it from a friend who ordered a VHS copy from some mail order place... then I got a hold of a Laser Disc rip to DVD that was the best I've ever had - even now. The remastered stuff coming out should be a real trip.

6. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Yeah! Hopefully, the film will be in stereo since the original, from what I remember, was in mono and sounded like crap. I also had the laserdisc but it was still in mono.

7. smashismo

smashismo New Member

Cake, 500Homeruns and starfieldroad like this.
  8. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

I agree! Dynamite!!!

9. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

My box should be here Tuesday. Going to have some friends over for a viewing party next weekend!:pineapple:

10. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

It's a great set but many of the bonus feature/extended interviews are of very bad quality due to the original film being lost and damaged.
    I watched all 4 DVD's a couple of weekends ago and thoroughly enjoyed them. ALL three documentaries are very interesting but The Metal Years holds that special meaning to me as it was the one I saw back in the day where I was heavily into Metal throughout the 80's and some of the bands featured I still listen to on a regular basis. I highly recommend this set.

11. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I've always heard that there was some "staged" instances in Part 2 (maybe even the others). Anyone else hear these rumors?

12. psychtrailmix

Got mine yesterday, can't wait to watch it! I look forward to the bonus footage from the 1st Decline movie the most. A staple of my youth that flick was!

500Homeruns likes this.
  13. CC Fixx

CC Fixx Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Ozzy scene was staged from what I know... and according to one user on blu-ray.com, Penelope Spheeris admits to it being staged in the commentary. Part 1 review. Part 2 review. Part 3 review.

14. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

nice!! now if he'd only pony up and pay the rest of the SST roster....

overdrivethree likes this.
  15. 500Homeruns

There are four extra songs taken from the concert by FEAR in the bonus section for the 1st movie!:pineapple:

starfieldroad and psychtrailmix like this.
  16. psychtrailmix

Nice, I hope there's some more hilarious between-song-banter from Lee Ving as well with those songs. Penelope Spheeris posted on facebook some months ago asking people what bands they'd like to see more of the performances of from the movie and most seemed to say Fear, which I'm happy about.... Also, I'd have loved to see more of the Circle Jerks performance, that really shows them in a prime era!

500Homeruns likes this.
  17. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I find it interesting that in History Part I, John Doe and Exene explain Johnny Hit and Run Pauline as a song about f$@"ing and in a later doc explain how horrified they were that the frat boy types who started coming out to their shows were getting really into this song about rape. Holy historical revisionism Batman!

18. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Odin! Odin! Odin!

[​IMG]

knob twirler, Pinknik and Pennywise like this.
  19. 500Homeruns

Definitely would have loved more Circle Jerks too.
    I did see that there is a pretty lengthy interview with Keith Morris, but it is for Decline III (which i have not seen any of yet). He is probably my favorite punk singer of all time and I really like what he is currently doing with OFF! It has that old school vibe.

Andrew likes this.
  20. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I can't think of anything more punk then starting their show with a short lecture on how much they think their fans are a bunch of queers.

Andrew likes this.
  21. 500Homeruns

Certainly not politically correct, but still entertaining.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  22. psychtrailmix

Lee Ving said that he did all that stuff as a joke.... some were in on it and some... well, you've see their scene in Decline! haha...

RelayerNJ likes this.
  23. psychtrailmix

Same here, he is up there. Easily my favorite singer who was in Black Flag. I love that early Circle Jerks stuff... I assume you've seen their documentary "My Career As a Jerk"? Killer documentary... there's some amazing live footage that I'd die for the full shows of! There's a show shot by Flipside I think it was from their early days that just looks absolutely bad-ass, it's not the show that was on the "Best Of Flipside" DVD, it's a different one.

24. 500Homeruns

Yes, I own "My Career As a Jerk". Great stuff!

25. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Penelope Spheeris was on Marc Maron's WTF podcast this week along with her daughter/producer of the box set.
    Amazing person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.