The Cream Album by Album Thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I didn't find time to post on Harmony Row, but I can only echo what many have already said, that I see it as a continuation, development and refinement of the course Jack set out on with Songs For a Tailor, it may well be his finest hour. I think I might have said earlier that Songs... was my favourite album of his, and maybe there are songs on that one that tops some of Harmony..., but the latter may just be stronger overall. It is a shame that it was nowhere near as popular, maybe most of those that bought Songs... did so because of the Cream connection, but didn't get it and lost interest, and a few more hung in there and bought Things We Like but were then utterly confused, and after that there was only the hardcore left...?

Going to dig out my West, Bruce & Laing albums now and try to catch up. Is there any footage of WB&L? I have never seen any...

When was this? I am not a Tony Williams expert, but I don't think anyone played with them outside the core quartet (I think you are possibly mixing two events together). I have also heard mentioned many times that they were really, really loud, and their music being noisy as it is I can only imagine the chaotic soundscape they must have created at top volume! :)

I already see here some signs of thoughts I have had myself, that Leslie West and Jack were perhaps a bit of a mismatch. In fact, althougth I am a big, big fan of Mountain aswell, I think Leslie and Felix were a bit of a mismatch as well. Leslie, as hinted at, never seemed too interested in the more experimental/progressive/refined stuff (I have cringed at how he in later years seems to even want to make fun of some of Felix's contribution to Mountain), I think he often would have prefered to just "rock out". Leslie was a fantastic raw talent on guitar and it worked well when his explosive energy was reigned in by someone like Felix. With WB&L perhaps members were on more equal terms and maybe there was more friction...?

This is "The Cream Album by Album Thread" and "the Eric Clapton track" is not "the main road", there are three paths to follow simultaneously (but we should of course not do any Mountain, as was suggested). I like reading what people have to say about the Clapton albums, even though I don't have much to say about those myself since I have not listened to most of them enough to have strong opinions. In the same way I would think it should be interesting to expose some Jack and Ginger to those that may not know much about what they did after Cream. (I also think, if for no other reason, that it is a nice tribute to Jack to discuss his career at this point in time). Granted we are past Cream now and The Bear is the boss, but if it is going to be only Clapton I am outta here and in that event I think the thread title should be changed.

July 1973 – Whatever Turns You On
    September 1973 - Rainbow Concert
    April 1974 – Live 'n' Kickin'

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

most of the jack bruce stuff i have outside of cream is the CAN YOU FOLLOW 6 cd boxset. thats about all i can comment on. brilliant stuff though. hard to get now too

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  3. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

It must have been in 1970, after some further research I believe the line-up I saw was Tony Williams on drums, Larry Young on organ, Jack Bruce on bass, John McLaughlin on guitar. It's more than likely that Rebop and Steve Winwood were part of the GBAF line-up at the same venue. Please forgive my shaky recollection in my previous post.

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

That makes sense. I would have loved to have seen that (and heard, ringing ears and all)!

5. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Just picked all 3 West Bruce And Laing albums up (as I only had Live 'N' Kickin' previously) - didn't realise that Play With Fire had its lyrics replaced to create Love Is Worth The Blues.
    Great review RRB.

6. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Thoughtful and perceptive post.

I should add that Pete Brown's lyrics to The Consul at Sunset seem to me particularly resonant. In addition to the Malcolm Lowry (and, presumably, Gerald Hanley) references to Consuls, personal dissolution, and end of Empire, the first few lines

When he walks from the Consul at sunset
    Barely remembers his name
    Walk is a little unsteady, sadly

incorporate - to this listener's ears at least - a reference to the Ford Consul (inexpensive, out of date and probably on its last legs) from which the song's protagonist is doubtless staggering after spending too long in the pub:

[​IMG]

Thereby - with a touch of wry humor - bringing the tragedy implicit in the lyrics to a mundane level most of us can relate to. Good old Pete.

And, of course, Jack, for setting it to such perfect music.

7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

That chorus reminds me of Lynyrd Skynyrd- "One More Time".

Rose River Bear likes this.
  8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The entire song reminds me of it. The pacing and the chords and the tail to the verses is all similar sounding.

reb likes this.
  9. texron

texron Rory On

I do as well, although that's like saying I like I like single barrel bourbon better than bourbon. Love em all :D

10. texron

texron Rory On

One of my favorite concert memories was seeing West, Bruce and Laing . Laing had something happen to his kit so Leslie and Jack just jammed for 15 minutes. Can't remember the song they were in the middle of (for some reason :angel:), but the memory is still there over 35 years later.

11. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

from jackbruce.com

The Tony Williams Lifetime with John McLaughlin, Jack Bruce, Larry Young

Apr. 7/70 'Slug’s' NYC
    Apr. 8/70 'Slug’s' NYC
    Apr. 9/70 'Slug’s' NYC
    Apr. 10/70 'Slug’s' NYC
    Apr. 11/70 'Slug’s' NYC
    Apr. 12/70 'Slug’s' NYC
    Apr. 12/70 Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    (advertised in the Apr. 25/70 issue of Billboard but probably cancelled)
    Apr. 16/70 'University of Toledo Student Union Multi-Purpose Room' Toledo, Ohio
    Apr. 17/70 'Capitol Theatre' Port Chester, New York (with Lee Michaels, Charlie Brown)
    Apr. 18/70 'Capitol Theatre' Port Chester, New York (with Lee Michaels, Charlie Brown)
    Apr. 19/70 'Tufts University' Medford, Massachusetts (with Mountain)
    Apr. 24/70 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Apr. 25/70 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (above 2 shows advertised in the Apr. 25/70 issue of Billboard but were
    probably cancelled)
    Apr. 24/70 'The Birmingham Palladium' Detroit, Michigan (with The Rationals)
    Apr. 25/70 'The Birmingham Palladium' Detroit, Michigan (with The Rationals)
    Apr. 26/70 Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Apr. 27/70 'Tonight Show' NYC (hosted by Flip Wilson)
    May 1/70 'Ludlow’s Garage' Cincinnati, Ohio
    May 2/70 'Ludlow’s Garage' Cincinnati, Ohio
    May 6/70 Stores, Connecticut
    May 8/70 'Action House' Island Park, Long Island, New York
    May 9/70 'Action House' Island Park, Long Island, New York
    May 15/70 Chicago, Illinois
    May 31/70 Atlanta, Georgia
    June 13/70 San Francisco, California
    June 19/70 Portland, Oregon
    June 25/70 Los Angeles, California
    June 26/70 Los Angeles, California
    June 27/70 Los Angeles, California
    June 28/70 Los Angeles, California
    (above 4 shows advertised in the Apr. 25/70 issue of Billboard but were probably
    cancelled)
    July 7/70 New York, New York
    July 11/70 'Newport Jazz Festival' Newport, Rhode Island
    July 14/70 'Olmstead Sound Studios' NYC ('One Word'/'Two Worlds' session)
    July 18/70 'New York Pop' Randall's Island, New York (cancelled)
    July 28/70 'Ungano’s' NYC (2 shows)
    July 29/70 'Ungano’s' NYC (2 shows)
    July 30/70 'Ungano’s' NYC (2 shows)
    July 31/70 'Ungano’s' NYC (2 shows)
    Aug. 1/70 'Powder Ridge Festival' Middlefield, Connecticut (cancelled)
    Aug. 4/70 Harmonyville, New Jersey
    Aug. 7/70 'Ungano’s' NYC (2 shows)
    Aug. 8/70 'Ungano’s' NYC (2 shows)
    Aug. 9/70 'Ungano’s' NYC (2 shows)
    Aug. 10/70 'Ungano’s' NYC (2 shows)
    Aug. 11/70 'Ungano’s' NYC (2 shows)
    Aug. 12/70 'Ungano’s' NYC (2 shows)
    Aug. 13/70 'Ungano’s' NYC (2 shows)
    Aug. 14/70 'Ungano’s' NYC (2 shows)
    Aug. 15/70 'Ungano’s' NYC (2 shows)
    Aug. 16/70 'Ohio Valley Jazz Festivial' Crosley Field, Ohio
    Aug. 21/70 'Village Gate' NYC
    Aug. 22/70 'Village Gate' NYC
    Aug. 28/70 'Action House' Island Park, Long Island, New York
    Oct. 2/70 'Lancaster University' Lancaster, England
    Oct. 3/70 'Roadhouse' Dagenham, England
    Oct. 6/70 'Marquee Club' London, England
    Oct. 7/70 'Speakeasy' London, England
    Oct. 9/70 'Chez Club' Leytonstone, England
    Oct. 10/70 'Belfry' Sutton Coldfield, England
    Oct. 16/70 'Sisters' Tottenham, London, England
    Oct. 18/70 'Kinema Ballroom' Dunfermline, Scotland
    Oct. /70 'Dreamland Ballroom' Margate, Kent, England
    Oct. /70 'Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club' London, England
    Oct. /70 'Beat-Club' Bremen, Germany (recorded for TV but never broadcast)
    (30 seconds of their aborted performance is included in the Nov. 28/70 broadcast)
    Oct. 23/70 'Essener Pop & Blues Festival' Essen, Germany
    Oct. 25/70 'Hampstead Country Club' Haverstock Hill, England
    Oct. 26/70 'Albert Hall' Nottingham, England
    Oct. 29/70 Basel, Switzerland
    Oct. 30/70 Zurich, Switzerland
    Nov. 1/70 'Royal Court Theatre' London, England
    Nov. 2/70 'Colston Hall' Bristol, Gloucester, England
    Nov. 3/70 'Town Hall' Oxford, England
    Nov. 4/70 'City Hall' Sheffield, England
    Nov. 6/70 'City Hall' Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England
    Nov. 7/70 'Hull University' Hull, England
    Nov. 8/70 'Caley Cinema' Edinburgh, Scotland
    Nov. 9/70 'Maryland' Glasgow, Scotland
    Nov. 10/70 'Town Hall' Birmingham, England
    Nov. 12/70 'California' Dunstable, England
    Nov. 13/70 'Chesford Grange' Kenilworth, England
    Nov. 14/70 'Starlight Ballroom' Boston, England
    Nov. 15/70 'Winter Gardens' Bournemouth, England
    Nov. 16/70 'St. George's Hall' Bradford, England (with Barclay James Harvest)
    Nov. 20/70 'Knufflesplunk Community Center' Welwyn Garden City, England
    Nov. 21/70 'Umist College' Manchester, England
    Nov. 22/70 'Redcar Jazz Club'/'Coatham Hotel' Redcar, Yorkshire, England
    Nov. 23/70 'Civic Hall' Wolverhampton, England (cancelled)
    Nov. 26/70 'Revolution Club' London, England
    Nov. 27/70 'Van Dyke Club' Davenport, Plymouth, England
    Nov. 29/70 'Fairfield Hall' Croydon, England
    Dec. 2/70 'The Dome' Brighton, England
    Dec. 3/70 'St. Georges Hall' Liverpool, England
    Dec. 5/70 'Chelsea College' Chelsea, England
    Dec. 10/70 'Rebecca’s' Birmingham, England (cancelled as the band never showed up)
    Dec. 18/70 'East Berks College' Windsor, England (cancelled ?)

Mook, jay.dee, keifspoon and 2 others like this.
  12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

We established in the Skynyrd ABA, that Cream was a big influence on LS. Yet somehow a song recorded by LS in 1971, but not heard until 1977. Sounds like a Jack Bruce song from 1972. Subliminal parallel paths ...???

13. Rose River Bear

I really appreciate your comments and, comments like yours make me go forward with the thread even when I am confronted by an album like Harmony Row. The review for that album was probably the toughest I have posted so far. The songs really almost defy categorization. I struggled trying to come up with connections to standard pop and rock music. Great point on the meter on Folk Song. Thanks again.

texron likes this.
  14. Rose River Bear

The ascending melody in the refrains and the 3/4 time in both make them sound very similar. I think it was just like you said.....subliminal songwriting stuff that sounds similar.

15. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

I do find 'Folk Song' to an absolutely stunning song. Sadly this was the first thing I thought of when I heard he'd sadly left us.

16. Rose River Bear

A coincidence you posted that. I just finished listening to that song about five times in a row. IMO it is one of his best songs ever.

17. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

I totally agree. That and 'We're Going Wrong'. Genius.

Saying that, as they're discussing flubs on recordings on another thread - the vocals do slip around a bit on the 'Harmony Row' version. :)

zobalob and Rose River Bear like this.
  18. old school

old school Senior Member

Nice review RRB! I really like Why Dontcha West Bruce & Laing were really a band you needed to see live to see them take there songs and stretch them out.
    On the album Why Dontcha the song Third Degree at the end Jack and Leslie rip into a awesome jam Jack's bass just kills amazing! I can relate big time to your experience at the West Bruce and Laing concert in Philly the same thing happened to me at there concert at the Hollywood Palladium, funny stuff. Anyway Bear
    do you remember the ending to Third Degree when you were reviewing it?

19. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

I don't have much to say that hasn't been said by others already regarding Harmony Row except to say it's been one of my favorite records since it first came out. I had no idea what to call it then, as far as style went. I just assumed it was rock music, as that was a big enough umbrella in those days to accommodate any number of variants. I suppose art songs makes as much sense nowadays. I haven't heard much else to this day that contains the same amount of successful experimentation compositionally, brilliant playing and singing and arranging as HR does. Over the years I bought three copies on vinyl because I was afraid I'd wear out the first copy I bought and didn't want to be without a way to play a clean version of it. The CD release was a great addition. I've seen Jack live a number of times and was thrilled when he did songs from Harmony Row.

I really liked Why Dontcha when I first heard i. I loved the sound of the opening guitar layers especially. I saw them live once and enjoyed it, but don't remember it as a highlight or anything, despite being a big fan of Jack's and certainly of Leslie's guitar playing. I think he can be one of the most melodic rock players around I was always impressed with how expressive he could be with just a few notes. As much as I liked the first Leslie West album, Mountain, (the one with Long Red, Blood of the Sun, etc.), I think having Felix as a foil was a brilliant move and a big step forward. I liked the two sides of the band and the contrast/tension in the songs when they took turns on the vocals. It made for better songs and a better overall album experience for my taste back then. I was hoping for better things from WB&L, but when heroin is the number one priority, I guess that just doesn't happen.

20. Rose River Bear

Thanks.
    I should have mentioned the cool ending to Third Degree where it goes into a faster hard rock boogie and is a tempo contrast to the rest of the song. Great ending.

Agent of Fortune and old school like this.
  21. old school

old school Senior Member

The first time I saw West Bruce & Laing was 4/1972 at the Hollywood Palladium. Leslie, Jack and Corky each had there spot to solo Jack's bass solo was about 15-20 minutes long man I was right on Jack's side in the front row leaning on the stage, I could reach out and touch Jack. One of the highlights of my life also they played " Politician " which the band did a phenomenal job! So seeing WBL live they could play even though all three were strung out on smack. And Jack was hooked for 15 more years hard to believe.

22. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

We already talked about this in this thread a couple of months ago... I saw one of those shows, too, but my perception of it was a lot more negative than yours:

The Cream Album by Album Thread (Part 2)

As I mention, the audience was wasted, but I think the band was, too. Quite a disappointing night me as a fan of all those guys.

23. old school

old school Senior Member

I had a great time and was up front so my attention was on the band and not the crowd! I saw WBL again in 11/1972 at the Hollywood Palladium
    again and was wasted and don't remember too much! But saw them again in Orange County and another great show.

reb and Rose River Bear like this.
  24. Rose River Bear

25. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Not as strong as their first release IMO but does feature a couple of fine Jack moments with November Song and Like A Plate. Too much Leslie and not enough of Jack for my taste brings down the album a little for me. No offense to Leslie but when you have Jack Bruce in your band he should be leading on most of the tracks. Once again there are four songs credited to Bruce Brown West and Laing. You were ripped off Ginger. Jack may have seen the writing on the wall as to the band's lack of a future with his small contributions. Still solid, love how Slow Blues fades into Dirty Shoes.

zobalob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.