Apple’s new music streaming service (Apple Music) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It's probably just first day hiccups and unfamiliarity with the matching process.

2. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

True. It's just sad that the vision and quality control they were so famous for has gone a bit off the rails in the last few years

3. Marko L.

Marko L. Forum Resident

I "love" my Macbook Pro, Mini and even OS X. The 4th generation iPod Nano is one of the best gadgets I've ever bought.

But I agree that their software and hardware quality control isn't what it used to be, say, eight to ten years ago.

DrBeatle likes this.
  4. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

I can't help but feel the same. I really feel if Steve was still around, none of this would be an issue. Don't get me wrong, Tim is a great guy, but ever since he took over the company everything has gotten more complicated. Steve ALWAYS stood for simplicity and beauty.. It shows in the products he helped designed. Fast forward to now where there are like 100 different apple watch/band combinations you can buy, over complicated UI's, useless features, colored iphones (I remember Steve originally didn't even want there to be a black AND white iPhone), not to mention there are like 3 different screen sizes now, etc.. the list goes on. On one hand the consumer has a lot more options, but on the other hand I can't help but feel this is the opposite of what Steve's vision was

5. Exactly He verbally beat his engineers into doing even better things than they thought they could do. It was simplicity and all things in tune. That has slipped.

painted8, Marko L. and DrBeatle like this.
  6. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Is there any way to access the landscape mode dealio now..?

7. DrBeatle

Same here, I have or have owned a few iPods, 3 iPhones, an iPad, an iMac, my wife has a couple of iPods, a few iPhones, an iPad Mini...we love all their stuff. But they've been suffering from Microsoft Syndrome lately, trying to be a player in every market and getting more bloated and fragmented. I mean, I love iOS but look at how much pre-installed Apple bloatware it has in it now...programs I and I'm sure 95% of everyone else just sticks in a folder and moves to the end of the homescreen. And they used to make fun of Android for all of the bloatware that came preloaded on their phones...

And just look at the Apple Maps fiasco for but one example of them seemingly rushing something to market before working all of the kinks out. Using the public as their paying beta-testers, just like Microsoft always did/does with Windows.

Totally agree...they were too bloated and fragmented before he came back and almost went under. He streamlined the company and focused them and turned them into a success. They seem to be slipping back to the 1990s Apple, only difference as pointed out by someone above is they've got gobs of money now.

Jrr likes this.
  8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I've been an Apple fan since 1984 and still have a working original Macintosh. In my opinion, they've gotten too big and have their fingers into too many product lines, which has led to insufficient testing (which is probably why they now let the public participate in the testing and submit bug reports).

If they were just focusing on making computers and the proprietary OS we wouldn't be complaining about lack of quality control, but they probably also wouldn't still be in business.

DrBeatle likes this.
  9. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

All numbers for customer satisfaction, sales, and profitability point otherwise.......

billnunan, jon9091 and Meyer like this.
  10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I often have the sneaking suspicion that people who argue that nothing bad would happen if Steve Jobs were still around are probably the people who were excoriating Steve Jobs when he was alive.

“Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.” — Yogi Berra

Mij Retrac likes this.
  11. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Although I would admit that I feel the quality is not as high as it was when Steve Jobs was around I still find Apple to make superior products/software to just about anyone out there. The gap is just getting narrower.

Billy Infinity, Marko L. and DrBeatle like this.
  12. DrBeatle

This, exactly.

13. jordanlolss

But how much longer can they keep that gap there? As it is there are some absolutely beautiful android phones, and nowadays android runs almost as smooth as iOS. Same goes for computers.. Windows 10 is coming out soon, and as the years go on, Windows keeps getting slicker and faster.
    Apple has got to start innovating again, like they once did. When was the last time they came out with a revolutionary product? I'd said 2007 with the original iPhone.. Other than that, I feel like everything has just been slight improvements over everything else that has already been released. Don't get me wrong, the iPad was great, their computers are great too.. Just nothing that is WAY over the competition. And i'm not an Apple hater.. I use a macbook pro, ipad, and iphone.. I love Apple

14. Marko L.

Marko L. Forum Resident

Has anyone else on the field come out with anything revolutionary either? I'm honestly asking. I can't think of anything, but that might be just me. I'm not that into technology and don't hang around tech forums or sites very often.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  15. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I like the Music app much better than past editions. I have the new Itunes for OSX but have not tried any of the new features.

16. jordanlolss

I really can't think of any revolutionary products in recent years.. Maybe the iPhone was the real last one? After that came out, everything changed.. You can hardly find a phone without it being a smartphone nowadays.. It's just the standard. As for anything else? I'm stumped

17. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Compared to the iPhone and the MacBook Air, everything else is an also-ran, and the OS for both is still the finest around... The apple experience is still tops...

Back on topic (and case in point) - while on day 2 there are still issues to be fixed, the app has a lot to offer. Things have changed, but it is still quality. I have little to no interest in the radio stations or the suggestions, but the way that the streaming library syncs with my existing library tops all other services available...

18. jordanlolss

I'm still trying to figure out how to work everything.. My music has been uploading to the iCloud library for the past day or so now, about halfway done.. From what I understand I should be able to view them on my iPhone now, but I can't find them.. Any suggestions? There also seems to be a pretty decent delay between when I add a playlist to my phone and it shows up on my computer

I am enjoying the "for you" section more than I thought I would.. I have found some really nice playlists there. Also, I found that if you go to the "new" section and scroll down halfway there are LOADS of playlists.. They have them organized by genres, activities, and curators.. Pretty cool.. Playlists from rolling stones mag, etc..

Marko L. likes this.
  19. Marko L.

Marko L. Forum Resident

Tell me about it. I used to work for Nokia. :) Well, it was a temporary, part time, dead end job anyway.

jordanlolss likes this.
  20. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I do like the ability to try out new music and it may eliminate some purchases that were mistakes, but I still like to own music from my core favorite artists.

DrBeatle and Marko L. like this.
  21. jordanlolss

Ever since I started Spotify a few months back I haven't purchased any CD's or digital files.. I just don't see the point. I listen to all my music with streaming, if I really like an artist I buy the vinyl. I think this further solidifies the killing of CD's, honestly.

22. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

because of another thread I decided to listen to some Love and figured I'd give Apple Music a shot. I put on Forever Changes.

what in the hell is going on with the version of that album they've got streaming? "All Again Or" has several seconds shaved off the beginning and sounds like it was recorded from a television broadcast. it's also clipping like a mofo.

23. Skydogg

Skydogg Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity (I don't have an iOS device currently) how easy is it to download tracks to play offline? Is it obvious what you have downloaded locally, and is it easy to remove them from the device? I'm not a huge fan of Google Play Music's interface in general, but they do this functionality quite well.

24. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

yeah you just delete the files. the offline playback simply downloads DRM'd files that can be played back in iTunes (and also removed) at any time.

25. Marko L.

Marko L. Forum Resident

If you're referring to the expanded and remastered edition, it's the same way on Spotify. The normal, non-expanded version on Spotify seems to be better, but I think Apple uses the same (crappy?) file for the expanded edition and the regular edition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.