Journey's New Drummer is...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Jun 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Correct, but the first album or two with Perry were decent, but those first three are, as I've proclaimed, simply essential.

2. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

That would almost turn them back into Journey.

3. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Incorrect. Boring attempts at prog/jazz fusion that meandered and went nowhere. With Perry, they hit their stride and found their niche writing massive hits that continue to be enjoyed by subsequent generations. As for the first three - nobody cares but 8 people, all of them on this message board.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The first three are better than that, but I'd admit that out three albums, there's about an album's worth of good material. "Of a Lifetime", "Topaz", " "Mystery Mountain", and "Nickel and Dime" are all great songs. It'd put those songs against anything they've done with Steve Perry. Additionally, the album Generations with Steve Augieri is good, too.,

Matthew Tate likes this.

5. Quite a few more than the 8 on this board. I'm sure that you know that. Those first albums have all sold well over the years. But you are correct about massive hits with Perry. I still apreciate and enjoy the albums that preceded the main stream success. To each his own.

gklainer likes this.
  6. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I'll take that offer! :)

7. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

I don't dislike the Perry albums and of course they sold a lot more but it is one of the reasons Aynsley left the band. The music wasn't as challenging or interesting any longer to him. I like Gregg's vocals a lot but the band needed a front man if they were going to reach the masses. The first three albums are all great to me and I still listen to them. I don't often listen to the others. About the only thing I listen to with Perry is the one off PBS Blues show they did with many of the blues greats - Albert King, Luther Allison, etc.

GodShifter and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  8. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

Continually and repeatedly violating the court order (from his previous arrest earlier in the month) to stay away from her. He apparently sent hundreds of texts and left tens of voicemails, not just a few threatening violence to her or himself.

Dude's completely unhinged.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Shvartze Shabbos and PHILLYQ like this.
  9. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Thanks for the info.

10. That's an understatement.

agundy and driverdrummer like this.
  11. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Obviously didn't read the infamous Herbie Herbert interview.

Malina and JakeM like this.
  12. Well aside from Schon and Valory while Cain has been with them since Rolie left in 1979 or 80.

13. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

This was Deen in 2001. Looks like a completely different and healthy person!

14. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member Thread Starter

nuts up = steroids

15. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

Or maybe too much coke / meth / whatever the rock star upper of choice is these days.

GodShifter likes this.
  16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Although I was a fan of Rolie & Schon due to their Santana association, I've never heard a Journey album! While I'm guessing most on this thread are fans, I wonder how many have followed Steve Smith's Jazz career? While he's probably best known for his run with Journey, the man has very serious Jazz chops. While I've never heard any of his work with Journey, I do own quite a few of his records with his band; Vital Information and other solo projects. I just picked up a few tunes off his latest; 'Vital Information NYC Edition', a straight-ahead Jazz session, gottatellya, he's swingin' like a mofo! I admire musicians that don't limit themselves, Steve excels when playing Rock, Fusion, or straight-ahead Jazz, truly a drummers drummer! For those of you that have iTune accounts, spend 2 bucks and get 'Time Check' & 'The Brush-Off' from NYC Edition. Trust me, it'll be the best 2 bucks you'll spend all day!;)

D.B. likes this.
  17. This guy is the poster boy for 'The Faces of Meth'. Period. Plenty of rock stars use/used coke and they didn't morph into this in a few years time. Methamphetamine . . . Every time.

aroney likes this.
  18. No. I doubt it's steroids. This paranoid, delusional and violent tangent most likely equals meth. This guy is wasting away, he's not getting bigger.

19. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Hakim is an extremely tasteful drummer. I would be very interested in hearing this band with him, especially given the fact that most of the drums you hear on Journey songs are not exactly subtle.

20. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

This from Houston Eagle:

The Journey drummer was high on meth and hallucinating when he was arrested two weeks ago and accused of misdemeanor assault and menacing, his attorney said Wednesday during a bail hearing.
    Castronovo's attorney Jeffrey Jones asked an Oregon judge to set his bail at $50,000, saying he would be driven straight to a rehab clinic if released. Castronovo was released on bail after he was arrested June 14 and ordered to stay away from the woman who's accused him of raping her.

Despite the court order, prosecutors said Castronovo has texted the woman 122 times and called her 35 times since he posted bail, with his messages swinging between contrition and threats.
    The 50-year-old drummer was booked into the Marion County Jail after a grand jury indicted him Monday. He now faces felony charges of assault, sexual abuse and unlawful use of a dangerous weapon. The indictment accuses Castronovo of having sexual intercourse with the victim "by forcible compulsion" between June 8 and June 14.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  21. That's what I assumed and now confirmed. What a pathetic, anti-social drug that is. Only for the weak. No one in their right mind would use that potpourri of toxic chemicals. Wow, just wow.

BrewDrinkRepeat and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. peteham

peteham Senior Member

They lost me after Rolie left, not that I don't respect the commercial power of the Cain era. Now that Omar is in there, I might go see them again. They usually have a pretty good set list. I'm still smitten with Omar's playing on the Bowie record 'Tonight'.

gklainer likes this.
  23. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Poor woman...

24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

This is a shame, he is a talented dude. I loved the Revolution Saints album with Jack Blades and Doug Aldrich - best Journey album they never made :)

25. Love that lineup with Rolie and Dunbar. I also liked the dual vocals with Perry and Rolie. This is an amazing video with both. The guitar solos are so pure, powerful and standout. I love it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.