New Show on AMC - Halt and Catch Fire - Anyone Watching?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm still watching.

2. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I think the show is good, but not anything exceptional. I caught a few shows of season 2 and am also watching season 1 on bluray. It feels like a Mad Men of the 80's. It's interesting in a low key, nostalgic way. And like Mad Men, they end some of the episodes on a dark/weird note. I like some of the music they throw in. Guy goes out in a lightning storm hunting for a cabbage patch- this show does get some of the cultural references very well, if maybe not all the technical aspects. The industry vet (John Bosworth) and the punky girl (Cameron) are my favorite characters, but I find all the characters have something to offer. One thumb up here.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    rockclassics likes this.
  3. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

Season 2 seems to be more like "Mad Women" - not that it is a bad thing.

4. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I like it & have watched it since the beginning.

5. rockclassics

Good episode last night....pretty intense at points. It is kind of funny when someone discovers something that we all know and have today. Last night it was broadband. The previews for next week look even more interesting.

bopdd likes this.
  6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

NEWSFLASH: Joe MacMillan is still a complete and utter douche nozzle.

Carry on!

minerwerks and rockclassics like this.
  7. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

After last night's espisode, I'm almost done with this show with the predictable soap-opera styled plot bombs and twists. I'll finish out the season(we should be close to the end) and see.

8. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I'm still watching the show because I like the characters a lot, but the tone that won me over from the first season is barely evident in the latest batch of episodes.

9. I was mildly into the first season but now 5 into the second I love this show.

bopdd and rockclassics like this.
  10. rockclassics

So far, I am finding the episode in season 2 better than the first season. I wish each season had more episodes so that the season didn't end so soon. But the pacing seems to be good given the limited number of episodes.

bopdd likes this.
  11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

That scene in the garage when Gordon mistakenly started to toast the success of The Giant was hard to watch. A very unexpected direction for his character to go (his illness).

12. How many episodes are there this season? I don't even know.

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I like this season more than season 1. The Cameron/Joe thing really wore on me and with them not interacting as much, I enjoy the show more. I really like Donna and Gordon. Kerry Bishe' is still the best thing about the show, imo.

Ten - 3 more to go this season.

rockclassics likes this.
  14. rockclassics

10 episodes

Mazzy likes this.
  15. rockclassics

Every episode this season just gets better IMO. Big crisis at the end of the show last night.

bopdd and Mazzy like this.
  16. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Yeah, last night's ep was really, really good. Poor Gordon.

17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Just started watching season 2 on Prime. Not rushing it.

I did wonder if there would be any comeback for the burning truck!

18. agentalbert

Yeah, its sad. He's got a great idea (the custom built PC's), the skills to put them together and with his Cardiff buyout the funds to start a company. It's hard to see his condition derail it.

As for the situation with Mutiny and "WestNet", it seems like it would be an easy case for Mutiny to win, though they have to have money for lawyers in the first place. But its awful brazen of a large company to just out and out steal the mutiny i.p. as it would seem very easy to prove if they did it the way it was described in the show. Why would a company that big want to give itself that kind of legal exposure? Seems awful unlikely.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    bopdd likes this.
  19. rockclassics

I think the new young punk who was brought in after Joe is behind it all. I doubt the head of the company - Joe's father-in-law - even knows about it.

20. agentalbert

Maybe, but when Joe's father introduced him and when Joe talked to Mr. Wheeler about how the Mutiny deal fell through. Mr. Wheeler acted like he knew something Joe didn't, so I wouldn't be surprised if he knew this was what the new guy was going to do. Hopefully we'll find out.

Craig likes this.
  21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

No comments about the season 2 finale? My comment: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent.

Season 2 was a big improvement over season 1 - this series is moving in the right direction! Looking forward to season 3 already.

bopdd and rockclassics like this.
  22. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I liked season 2, including the finale. A departure from the structure of season 1, but just as interesting to me. Great setup for a third season.

rockclassics likes this.
  23. rockclassics

Agree. I thought the second season was much better. Really liked it a lot.

24. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

There was some darkness and nihilism in the first season that I felt gave the show a unique feel. I think they intentionally kept away from that (for the most part) in the second season, opting to stick with more traditional interpersonal dramas. I'm not sure I liked it more overall, but I still watched the whole season intently. I think the ending portended a shift back to a slightly darker season three.

Plinko likes this.
  25. agentalbert

Given the way Cameron manipulated Joe to wreck the company he worked for and trash his reputation, I think he her ex was dead on when he told her that she and Joe were meant for each other. And does anyone else thing Donna has absolutely no intention of staying with Gordon, but is doing so to get money out of him? She told him the condition for them staying married was him moving to California and writing a big check so they could buy the mainframe. He goes along with it, but I think she's already made up her mind she's leaving him. She could divorce him and get half the money, but that would take time, and this way she gets him to spend all of it on something she wants and then she'll still leave. That's how I interpreted her crying in the airplane bathroom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.