Peter Gabriel's First Three Albums.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by K.P., Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Yes. The fourth Peter Gabriel (self named) album is my favorite of all of Peter's discography.

ohnothimagen and K.P. like this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I liked #3 best at one time. But it hasn't aged that well for me--brittle production that is of its time.

#1 is warm and eclectic and very listenable. My favorite.

#2 isn't even in this horse race.

audiotom and K.P. like this.
  3. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Melt is a life album for me, I have owned it in multiple formats since I was 13-14 years old.

The production is amazing! And I think the songwriting is some of his strongest in his career. It's a rare album that flows beautifully without a dud in the bunch.

I also love the boldness of not allowing any cymbals on the album.

Compared to So which is steeped in 80's production and Car and Scratch which also have a very placeable late 70's early 80's jagged new wave thinness to them Melt as well as Security both sound quite timeless to me.

gd0, JimW, lightbulb and 2 others like this.
  4. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

The band was better than many of their fans when it came to music - all kinds too. Oh man, what a nice little stadium stereo system it was too! To feel that album thumping your chest like that. It was either '88, '90 or '93. That was the other thing that surprised me, since it had been out for a number of years and yet so many people didn't know it. I just (wrongly) assumed that more people knew the album, just because I loved it so along with many of my friends.

5. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I still feel the way you do and I haven't played Security in a couple of years. But I've recently been itching to do so with a bit of anticipation that maybe the next time it might really make that connection with me. It took awhile for the 2nd album to click for me, though that was a long ass time ago. I still have no digital versions of the 1st 4 albums. Not that I haven't thought about it many times as I'm far from a "vinyl only" guy, it just hasn't happened (yet). I may hit the search engine, plus I've recently fallen down the rabbit hole of ordering discs from Japan. :laugh: But there is some wear on the old vinyl...

K.P. likes this.
  6. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Peter Gabriel is one of my altime favorite artists so take what I as nitpicking

I feel that once Peter starting using the Fairlight and other textured digital sounds the production sounds more dated on most songs -on Melt and Security. My son even said to me, dad that sounds 80s ish. The live orchestra versions on New Blood were great.

Not one of us is an example of that starkness and brittle production. Love the lack of cymbals and it's odd that intruder started the 80s gated drum sound. Great albums compromised sound

Melt on the other hand still feels fresh. Very vibrant analog sound. My fave Gabriel

K.P. likes this.
  7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Melt is Peter Gabriel's best work, by far.
    It's amazing on so many levels; it's cinematic in scope, a movie without actual visuals. The characters seemed emotionally charged and wired.
    Many times after listening from start to finish, I'd felt like I was immersed in a very visceral experience.

K.P. likes this.
  8. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

My favorite is Peter Gabriel. Though, come to think of it, I often play Peter Gabriel as well. Not a fan at all of Peter Gabriel.

:D

rminer, bagofsoup, ti-triodes and 4 others like this.
  9. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

They all blew my mind. I bought the albums when they came out. I saw the shows. I'm listening to Foxtrot now, as I found this thread. Since we are limited to these three PG and PG Genesis, I refuse to choose!!!

10. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Long time fan of all three. Each is very distinct, but I agree that Melt is PG's alltime best. That record has been hugely influential. I sometimes think PG has been doing variations of it ever since.

11. K.P.

K.P. Active Member Thread Starter

well played, sir.

dajokr likes this.
  12. K.P.

The Illustrated Peter Gabriel.
    Now that's pretty sweet.

[​IMG]

13. vinylvark

vinylvark Forum Resident

Melt. Add Security and that changes :D.

I have both Scratch and Security on Classic Records vinyl. I hope to find Melt and Car for a decent price too some day.

14. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

First two for me. Love them both equally, but if I had to choose (at gunpoint) - "Car". On the other hand I still think his best track is "White Shadow" with a stunning Fripp solo where he actually makes his guitar sound like a white shadow. Could never be without that...so...I don't know...

dartira and K.P. like this.
  15. K.P.

I live on Vancouver Island and there are tons of Car around in the shops I frequent here. Just say the word.

vinylvark likes this.
  16. K.P.

Dude....I hear you on that song.
    I love that Fripp produced Scratch, and I can hear his influence all over that record.
    That song is "amazeballs", to quote the horribly misled children of today.
    "It's hard to tell black from white when you wake up in the middle of the
    night."

MONOLOVER likes this.
  17. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

1st for me. Anyone have opinions on which CD version? I recently bought the 2010 release/remaster (Cousins/Metropolis) and really like it. But it also may be because it was such an upgrade from the 128/mp3s i had...

K.P. likes this.
  18. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Strangely, PG4 was the first of his I heard so it's lodged in my brain and I love it. But PG2 is a desert island album for me. I just love that bone-dry production and PG was such a brilliant writer early on.
    White Shadow, what a song..
    Actually, PG3 is my least favourite, I prefer 1,2,4 and So to it. But it's still great.

K.P. likes this.
  19. vinylvark

vinylvark Forum Resident

On Classic Records? If that's so PM me how much and we will take of this right away :p.

Thanks!

20. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I love the first one, the second is not far behind yet very different and the 3rd pretty much continuing in the tradition. In other words, the earlier the album, the more I rate it (except for So, perhaps - I'd have that at my 3rd fave PG... great memories with that one.)

K.P. likes this.
  21. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I started with So and PG3 (Melt) was the first PG album I heard after I started delving into his back catalogue. For that reason it has a very special place in my heart. However, there's a sense of fun in PG1 that is unfortunately absent from much of solo catalogue that I really enjoy. I guess, in the end I'd pick 3 but 1 pushes it close.

I'm an oddity when it comes to Gabriel and Genesis. I love post Gabriel Genesis and Gabriel on his own but I really can't stand PG-era Genesis. Go figure.

gregorya and K.P. like this.
  22. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Out of the first three, I would choose the Melt album. I would choose any of the first three over any Genesis album.

I was not a Genesis fan (liked the odd song, but that's it). Because of that, I was in no hurry to listen to Gabriel when he left the group. I had a close friend who was very much a fan of both the band and Gabriel, and when Security was released, I heard it in his car and thought it was great, so I bought it, then bought the third, the second, and the first. Subsequently, I bought every album upon its release.

K.P. likes this.
  23. Scratch

An essential Winter time album

K.P. likes this.
  24. John60

John60 Forum Resident

1st one for me. But it don't beat the lamb for sheer magic, nor will anything else. Saw both live and the lamb and original band wins by a hair. Gabriel's first and second tour was pretty special though and his first solo album remains a firm favorite on the turntable.

25. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Funny, I associate it with Summer (cover photos notwithstanding)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.