Wayward Pines (new M. Night Shyamalan TV series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I thought it strange that they kept referring to the year 2014. I guess that's when the release was originally planned.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Question:

Why did a door open when Sheriff Pope died? Was it not one of the Abbies (sp?) that came in and took him away? At the time it looked like what took Pope was part of the Wayward "system", but now I don't understand why they would be allowed inside to collect a dead body. What am I missing?

3. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That's a good question. I'd say Pilcher was watching and opened the door - maybe there's some type of agreement with the Abbies that they can have our dead?

4. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

The door opens because Ethan took the Sherriff's keys. There was a button on the keys that opened the door to the outside. At least, I think it went down that way.

DigMyGroove and jsayers like this.
  5. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

So the chronology of something doesn't make sense to me. Matt Dillon's wife & son were on their way to Wayward Pines where the sheriff pulled them over. They were working their way there & didn't all of a sudden wake up in the car & then were pulled over. The sheriff then dribbled oil around, blah, blah, blah & they had their accident after that (if I remember correctly). How did the sheriff pull them over outside the town limits? If they're suppose to wake up after the accident & being thawed, he wouldn't have been there before that, would he? Unless he pulled them over & set them up for the accident a couple of thousand years before & that seems a stretch even for this show.

6. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

The entire scene with the sheriff, wife, & son occurred in 2014. There was a lot of jumping between the past and present in the early episodes before "The Truth" was revealed. See spoiler below for more.

I'm not sure where you are in the show, but the background of the sheriff and his role in setting up the project (in the past) is explained in ep 6.

JimC and jsayers like this.
  7. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

So they did this elaborate setup for each of the people there & for all of the ones still in suspended animation just in case they had to go with the group B scenario because group A couldn't handle the truth. Gotcha.

JimC likes this.
  8. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I have issues with the story setup and Group A / Group B explanation too. It's pretty messy but I'm enjoying the show enough now to let it go. I think you're supposed to assume that the Group A & B labels are definitions in hindsight. It was supposed to be a gradual thaw of more and more people from the past as Wayward Pines grew. It became necessary to start over after the initial group of citizens self destructed.

Gumboo and marblesmike like this.
  9. jsayers

I think you are correct. :righton:

JimC and Gumboo like this.
  10. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I'm enjoying it too. I think it's going to collapse from the weight of its own twists though. Hopefully in a years time we won't be saying about some other show, "this show's as bad as Under the Dome or Wayward Pines".

11. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Wasn't there a scene of someone driving their car into the path of an oncoming truck, and then they woke up in Wayward Pines later? I can buy the kidnapping/drugging/whatever angle, but the "plucked from the very jaws of death" angle may need some more explaining ...

(... unless I is mistooken)

--Geoff

12. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

The scene that bugs me is Pilcher having a conversation with someone in Seattle at the Secret Service. Does anyone remember that brief conspiratorial chat ?
    Pilcher's appearance was identical to his 2,000 year later appearance. They discussed Matt Dillon's current status. Pilcher assures the boss that everything is going according to plan. Did this take place in 2014 ?

EVOLVIST and JimC like this.
  13. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

There are several problems with that scene. It is safe to assume that any scene outside of Wayward Pines took place in 2014 or earlier (unless they are still lying to us about what is really going on). In this case, I think it was 2014 around the time of Ethan's disappearance. The implication is that the Secret Service or someone at the Secret Service was cooperating with the kidnappings and perhaps helping cover up the crimes. They need to explain this more, otherwise it was just a cheap trick to confuse the viewer.

The part that cannot be explained away is the appearance of Pilcher. They went out of their way to show a younger looking Pilcher when the first group awoke in the future and during the Group A meltdown. Therefore, this was Pilcher's appearance when he was put to sleep in 2014. We don't know exactly how long the new Wayward Pines has been up and running but somewhere in the 10-15 year range based on other events in the story. It makes sense that he would have aged somewhat, and the show indicates that he has (i.e. the different appearances shown to the viewer). Now, flashback to the scene in question. They make Pilcher from 2014 look exactly like Pilcher in 2048. I have to call BS on this. This was done for no other reason than to confuse/trick the viewer.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    JimC, Scotian, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yes

15. jsayers

Or is was a mistake/goof or oversight. It happens all the time in film and television. Boom mikes, anyone? :laugh:

You guys remind me of my late father. He would do the same thing when he watched something on tv. If he saw something that "didn't make sense" he pitched a fit and walked away from the tv. Game over for him.
    It's just television, folks!

vince and strummer101 like this.
  16. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

Thanks. thats what I was trying to express. They made a point of a younger looking Pilcher in flashbacks. That scene does not compute.

17. Or it's the sign of an unreliable narrator. Wasn't Pilcher telling his story?

18. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don’t know how much they’ll ultimately reveal, but clearly the backstory of how Pilcher carried out his “plan” back circa 2014 has not been told in full. We know the basics, that he saw catastrophe coming and kidnapped a bunch of people and froze them. But we don’t know precisely how he continually carried this out, or who helped him, or why he chose the people he did, etc. It appears some people in the government were involved to some degree at some point, and it also appears he was being investigated and somehow some of the investigators got roped into being frozen.
    I think questions like “How did they keep the cryogenic facility fully functional for a thousand years without any possibility of technical malfunctions?” are questions that have to be left aside.

JimC, Vidiot and jsayers like this.
  19. I think that one of the problems with doing sci-fi on TV is that everybody has a week to digest ideas and pick holes in everything before they have more to think about.

Gumboo and jsayers like this.
  20. And neither does the amount of effort they're apparently taking to keep 2000 year-old cars in good shape in a rather large garage (which itself must use a lot of resources to heat/cool, maintain, etc.).

21. jsayers

Good episode last night. The fact that the crew that wants to blow a hole in the fence to "go back home", at least Kate anyway, refuses to believe that what they knew is all gone and there's horrors on the other side illustrates just how the 1st wave of WP residents lost it and self-destructed. Adults - they can't handle the truth! :laugh:

It was interesting as well to see Pam working with Ethan. Ethan may not like the whole WP situation at all, but he's no fool and wants that fence to stay up!

Vidiot likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

And that's what happened. Everybody now in Wayward Pines was taken and setup 2 thousand years in advance.

If Dr. Pilcher has Mark Zuckerburg-type money, he could have done it.

The effects weren't great -- both Pilcher and Pam the crazy sister were being passed off as (let's say) "35 years old" -- but I could buy into it for story purposes.

JimC and jsayers like this.
  23. Vidiot

Naw, he was wearing a wig, wasn't bald, and had lots of defocus on his face to try to remove the wrinkles. I think they were taking a 48-year-old actor and trying to pass him off as 35 or 40.

Small correction, BTW: the year in Wayward Pines is 4028. So they're ahead in the future by over 2000 years.

There's always the possibility the entire thing is a fake and it's a very expensive top-secret military experiment, done in the middle of nowhere. :eek:

GentleSenator, vince and jsayers like this.
  24. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

There is also the possibility this is all in Ethans mind. There was a strange comment in one of the earlier episodes when he meets Kate at her house only to find out she's been there for years even though he had been with her a few days previously and asks her something like "is it happening again?" and she said "no". It made me wonder if he had some sort of breakdown previously that she knew about and he was worried it was happening again.

Maybe I'm over analyzing it but that short conversation was odd and hasn't really been explained (yet).

rufus t firefly, vince and JimC like this.
  25. Vidiot

Yes, they established he was hurt in the car wreck at the beginning of the series, and Nurse Pam told him his brain injury could cause hallucinations. I think this was a kind of Philip K. Dickian homage in the show, making us wonder is this all really happening or is it just a bad dream?

noname74 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.